Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES ARRIVED!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Sorry guys, I was assuming that Marlin recieved the same letters as I had.

Mine were recieved after I had my grant letters and paid for my licenses.

Also said letters were recieved over 6 months after I first submitted my renewals:rolleyes:

Lets hope this is not the case for renewals every 3 years :eek:
    Dvs wrote: »
    Given that marlin vs has not posted the text of their letter received yesterday,
    and Tikkat3 does not clearly state if the letters to which they refer,
    were received yesterday as in the marlin vs post,
    after having licence grant letter and license issued already,
    or in the normal chain of events after submitting an application,
    perhaps we should wait until they clarify this before,
    bringing the good and joyous news!

The horrible scary thought would be my concern.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

thanks tikkat3
    Mine were recieved after I had my grant letters and paid for my licenses.

Also said letters were recieved over 6 months after I first submitted my renewals

Thats kinda what i'd assumed you meant - and that's what my opinion was based on. It'll be interesting to see if this is the same wording of the letters marlinvs recieved.

dCorbus wrote: »
    thanks tikkat3

Thats kinda what i'd assumed you meant - and that's what my opinion was based on. It'll be interesting to see if this is the same wording of the letters marlinvs recieved.

you were right dCorbus, it was only after I made a few phone calls that I managed to get any response at all. God knows how long I would have been waiting otherwise.

How long after you got your grant letters and then got the actual licence, did you recieve the long-overdue "acknowledgement" letter?

How long did your application take from date of submission to reciept of grant letter?

Just wondering and trying to contextualise all this. Thanks.

dC

dCorbus wrote: »
    How long after you got your grant letters and then got the actual licence, did you recieve the long-overdue "acknowledgement" letter?

How long did your application take from date of submission to reciept of grant letter?

Just wondering and trying to contextualise all this. Thanks.

dC

Submitted renewals with accompanying paperwork start of October 09.

Met with inspector 3rd week of Oct regarding moderator, everything fine and I was told he was very happy and willing to approve what I needed and I had nothing to worry about.

For over 6 months I phone called on several occassions and was promissed call back after call back, none came. Very frustrating when everything had been approved by the inspector at the start during an interview where I explained my requirements, moderator included.

Finally, rang previous F.O. to ask for advice on how to move things forward as I was getting no where and was very conscious of having unlicensed firearms in my home.

He suggested I wait a day or so and follow up with a call to the new F.O. During said call, I asked for a letter of comfort or cover letter stating that they had recieved my renewal applications and that I was covered to legally own said firearms. I was told this was not neccessary rolleyes.gif and 3 days later my grant letters arrived (12-03-10)

Paid for licenses on the 15th March.

On the 15th March 2010, the acknowledgment letters arrived.

Both grant and acknowledgment letter were dated 10th March.

A fairly protracted experience for renewals!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that explanation and extra info, tikkat3.
    Bloody hell, that does sound like a very protracted process for you!:eek: Well, I can only hope you got everything you were looking for in the end - as if that's any consolation!;)

Sounds like a certain someone didn't get their finger out and process your application / renewal when they should have.....surprise, surprise!:rolleyes:

Sounds like your circumstances may be slightly different than those mentioned by marlinvs in his original post, so we'll just have to wait and see if he posts the text of the letter he mentioned. We'll know more then!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It's exactly as Tikkat3 posted it's a duplicate of the first letters that I got and it's only an administration mistake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd definitely agree with dCorbus. An admin mistake. No way are they doing a review of granted licenses at such an early stage.

Even if they tried to further the mistake by processing the application again as soon as they try to enter details onto Pulse the system would show licenses have been granted already.

I wouldn't worry about a thing but keep the letters "just in case" they are needed later.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Dropped in 2 applications in the first week of Jan,received confirmation and grant letters the 1st week of March,paid up and had licences in hand 2 days later. And all this without seeing or speaking to a guard! Happy days!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Both licences arrived just now! 20 days from start to finish.

A quick query. One of the licences expires 9/3/13 and the other 31/5/13, being 3 years from the expiry of the extension. Is there any reason for the differences as both extensions were till 31/5?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Got both mine yesterday (shotguns). Whole thing took three weeks and the slowest part of that was waiting for garda to come and inspect the guns.
    Applied for 3,000 shells on one and got 2,000 and applied for 1,000 on the second and got it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Handed in grant letter to post office on tuesday, license arrived today!

Has the S for a mod:D

Only 100 rounds on it though, cant remember if I asked for 200 or 500:confused:

Just sent off import license application, so it shouldnt take too long, right bang in the middle of a load of exams:P

Final update on my license mini saga.

Both license renewals were granted and ammo quantities requested were given.

However, no 'S' came on my license, which was disappointing as I had attended an interview on this and had been assured there was no issue and it was granted.

I wrote to the Inspector and mentioned the interview and the process.

Today I recieved a follow up call to tell me the moderator had been granted but an admin error in processing meant the box had not been ticked at point of input and that a new license has been issued to me with the 'S'

Happy outcome at last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

For a change.
    Got my lisense back for the Remington1100 shotgun in unrestricted format.
    Off to An Post now ASAP!:D 1 down 2 to go.

Funny one though.Monday my CPO rings me up saying I am giving the poor ol Super a heat attack re the amount of ammo I want with the gun[the standard 500 rounds].Can they inspect the ammo storage facilities I have for that.Certainly says I,but why bother it is in the GUIDELINES about 500 rounds.[Which incidently is appx 250 loose rounds of 12GA per 50 cal surplus ammo box].
    Anyways,out comes our CPO[a very good sort BTW],"oh yeah I was right about the ammo limit ..Sure it IS in the guidelines!!!"Welll...DUH!:rolleyes::D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Just got my two licences back in the post!

Handed in a renewal for a .223 and a application for a new .270 jus over a month ago! All thats left now is a trip to the post office to pay for them!

I will just have to wait and see did i get permission for a mod for the .270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭fiattech

i got my grant letter today for my .22 pistol new application

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gtx

well lads & lassies how long have ye waited for the "acknowledgment letter" its been over 3 weeks now an still nothing rang the station and they wont tell me who the FO is?? not very help full. i was told it will be delt with and he hung up..he must a been flat out..:mad::mad:

Manorhamilton Garda station in Leitrim btw..

My renewals (FCR), with acknowledgment letters came through very quickly.

Have three in at the moment (subs, and new applications) which are taking a little longer, although i believe this to be down to man power shortage rather than any other reason. A friend, in the same district, just got his back, and it was signed for by an inspector from a different district as there was no Super in ours. Apparently. I'm only guessing as to why it was signed off on by who it was.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

They are down on man power remember alot left the service around the New Year + 100 extry of them or on the Case of the shooting at the credit union in Lordship, Co.Louth...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 davediesel

In a lot of Districts the "FO" ( no such position in the force btw ) is also the District clerk. This means they have a massive workload, dealing with their normal duties and then firearm app on top. they are oftentimes inundated with paper. Also as pointed out many Districts don't have a Superintendent anymore due to cutbacks and recruitment and promotion embargos and rely on Inspectors who move between Districts in a Division covering their duties. All adds up to severe backlogs and this is only in respect of firearm applications which truth be told are pretty low on the agenda considering what else needs attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I applied for my renewal three weeks ago. Got the acknowledgement letter last week and got the grant letter today, so all in all, it took three weeks. Credit where credit is due, I reckon that's good service from the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SilentD

coming up on 6 weeks now and no letter:(:( acknowledgent or grant!!:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Don't be worrying yet, All normal sometimes i have gotten the letter of acknowledgement after the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gtx

least i not the only one can stop worrying now..just like to get the ball rolling on it..just taught the wound send the acknowledge letter once the got the application..was no call for the guard to be snotty about it there all a little stressed i suppose but still no excuse..

that was good goin BattleCorp credit due is right mines a new Application probably take longer..

Shame haven the gun collectin dust with the dealer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CZ455.22LR

You don't always receive an acknowledgement letter.

Applied for first licence a few months ago and never received an acknowledgement.

I politely followed it up a few times and found out that in my Garda district they don't usually enter it on the system until decision made, then it's entered and granted same day!

After 7 weeks grant letter arrived.

gtx wrote: »
    ..was no call for the guard to be snotty about it there all a little stressed i suppose but still no excuse..
    You have to remember that a Firearms Officer is basically someone within the station/district nominated to act as such. As pointed out above it's a title we assign to the Garda that deals with firearms, but i'm sure they receive no extra pay for the work or the position. IOW it doesn't actually exist.

We moan a lot and for the most part for good reason. However given the times we are in now, and with what the Gardaí have to face in the future (station closures, larger districts, reduced resources, etc) they are fighting the same battle with their hands behind their backs. So firearms licensing is not a priority.

Now i'm not trying to explain away the issues, but at the end of the day they are trying to do a job, some with no interest in the position of FO, while dealing with these restrictions. Like anyone else they get narked, and it can show.
    CZ455.22LR wrote: »
    ............found out that in my Garda district they don't usually enter it on the system until decision made, then it's entered and granted same day!.......
    Odd.

I always get a receipt letter. usually within a week of handing in my application. Then it's a week to a month before i get the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CZ455.22LR

Do applications for 2nd and subsequent firearms usually get processed quicker than first time?

Also, what's the general feedback on pistol applications - are they taking longer?

The number of the firearm has no bearing. Right now i am waiting over 3 weeks for a sub. A thing that was done within a week previously. I have 5 firearms already.

As for the type of gun. Well that can make a difference. Depending on the type (restricted or not), and what way the Super carries out the process (may ask for interview for a pistol) it can take longer. It is also district dependent. Manpower, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

CZ455.22LR wrote: »
    You don't always receive an acknowledgement letter.

Applied for first licence a few months ago and never received an acknowledgement.

I politely followed it up a few times and found out that in my Garda district they don't usually enter it on the system until decision made, then it's entered and granted same day!

After 7 weeks grant letter arrived.

That must get them around the 3 month limitation on making a decision :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tezza99

Cass wrote: »

Odd.

I always get a receipt letter. usually within a week of handing in my application. Then it's a week to a month before i get the license.

I got my letter of acknowledgement on the 22nd January, and no sign of grant letter so far.

Cass, would you recommend following it up with the station in portlaoise or would that just serve to p**s them off!?

Advertisement