Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES ARRIVED!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

bit worrying about no moderator even though the box was ticked, and worse not even a reason:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

wa hey. got mine today!! now go pick up my new gun on saturday please god!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Still waiting on mine to come back because of this moderator business and I submitted them two days after I got my extension letters. Moderators seem to be causing problems all over the place. I suppose its better that I was told before the license was issued so I have a chance to rectify it.
    On a seperate note the new licenses sound uterly disppointing; I was hoping for sumething along the lines of a credit card but flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'm in same boat as in no mention of Moddy and I applied on application etc

I have contacted my NGB's and an going to endeavour to get this sorted as assuming anything could lead to a prosecution :eek:

Have been advised to contact my Super and if my requests are not approved to contact my NGB's again. Fair enough really. Will be writing to him now. Wonder what will happen next considering our previous "history" ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

bit worrying about no moderator even though the box was ticked, and worse not even a reason:(

Apparently local super's are still issuing authorisation letters for moderators might be a good idea to contact your local F/O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

moose112 wrote: »
    Apparently local super's are still issuing authorisation letters for moderators
    That's still perfectly legal. So if you have an authorisation letter, that's grand, and you can sort out the licence later on. Just remember to get the letter updated every year until the licence is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I got the license for the 308 this morning and now have my Sako 75 sitting in front of me now. :D

The wife can sleep in the spare room because the 308 is coming to bed with me tonight ;)

No sign off the 22lr getting anywhere not even the letter fo receipt. I got the letter of receipt for the 223 at the same time as the 308 but not a payment letter yet. I put in all the allpications at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Have been advised to contact my Super and if my requests are not approved to contact my NGB's again. Fair enough really. Will be writing to him now. Wonder what will happen next considering our previous "history" ? :rolleyes:
    Would you not be better phoning him? Letters always seem to be one step removed from 'lawyers at dawn' :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

In todays post I received:
    The receipts for my applications, sent in 10 weeks ago notifying me that I will have a decision before the 04/01/2010 and in the next letters the notification that my licenses have been granted.

I didn't know where I stood for 10 weeks, wondering what I would do when my current extensions expired. I seriously thought the paperwork was sitting on the FO desk pilling up.

I didn't receive any notification until today, no way of knowing what the status was of my applications.

The systems works really works well then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Phonecalls can be denied. ;)

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Phonecalls can be denied. ;)
    If that's your mindset, you may as well start briefing the lawyers. I always find that a bit of a chat will sort out most misunderstandings. There'll be plenty of time for lawyers if necessary, and Supers don't have to put refusals in writing, in fact they don't even have to refuse.

And the fact of a phone call can't be denied even if the substance of it can.

So what's the point of not talking?

rrpc wrote: »
    If that's your mindset, you may as well start briefing the lawyers. I always find that a bit of a chat will sort out most misunderstandings. There'll be plenty of time for lawyers if necessary, and Supers don't have to put refusals in writing, in fact they don't even have to refuse.

And the fact of a phone call can't be denied even if the substance of it can.

So what's the point of not talking?

We have already had a chat, face to face, at his request :rolleyes: His opening statement was more or less that in his opinion nobody should have any firearms :eek: Kind of set the tone for the rest of the lecture I got. I have had to get help from the FPU on a number of previous occasions when dealing with him, which sorted things in my favour for want of a better way of putting it and you reckon a chat on the phone will work :)

Therefore, a registered letter and copies of same to my NGB's and we shall see what happens ;)

I am sick of having to fight for things that other lads get freely and if he wants lawyers and Court cases then I'll oblige him especially as he has told me that he has "no problem with my character". Therefore, I'd love to know what problem he does have with me :)

.... and you reckon a chat on the phone will work :)
    No, I just don't see the problem with it and it's still the best advice in most cases.

Obviously not yours :rolleyes:
    I am sick of having to fight for things that other lads get freely and if he wants lawyers and Court cases then I'll oblige him especially as he has told me that he has "no problem with my character". Therefore, I'd love to know what problem he does have with me :)
    Well reducing your ammo allowance may well have been his 'little victory' over the smart ass that brought 'the heavies' in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Lodged my renewals/re-applications on Sept 11th, getting a specified, signed and dated receipt.:D

Oct 8th, called into District Office, inquiring as to why no receipt of application letters. Told it would be all worked out.;)

Oct 23rd, called Division office to see what the hold up was. They had never heard of me.:mad:

Oct 27th, called back to District office, big investigation between them and FAO.:confused:

OUTCOME : must be lost in post between local and district offices (less than 1 mile), sorry but don't worry it wll be ok.:(

So much for a new streamlined, efficient system. Come Saturday i am now a criminal on the ERU hitlist:eek:

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

No, I just don't see the problem with it and it's still the best advice in most cases.

I agree in most cases it is and with previous Supers I have never had to deal with this level of crap.
    Obviously not yours :rolleyes:

If it was an isolated incident I wouldn't mind but this is constant harrassment
    Well reducing your ammo allowance may well have been his 'little victory' over the smart ass that brought 'the heavies' in. :(

I am not the only one to get this treatment if what I hear is right. I "brought" and will bring 'the heavies' in again and again and again until I am treated like most other shooters in this country. I am not a criminal even if the Minister for Justice reckons I am just because I want to own firearms :) These types of Supers must all have been trained by rewatching Judge Dread over and over again "I am the Law" :)

I might take this to the Ombudsman or there may be equality issues here too ?

Sparks wrote: »
    That's still perfectly legal. So if you have an authorisation letter, that's grand, and you can sort out the licence later on. Just remember to get the letter updated every year until the licence is sorted.

Legal, despite what the guidelines/legislation says ?

Makie upie stuff again :eek:

Lodged my renewals/re-applications on Sept 11th, getting a specified, signed and dated receipt.:D

Oct 8th, called into District Office, inquiring as to why no receipt of application letters. Told it would be all worked out.;)

Oct 23rd, called Division office to see what the hold up was. They had never heard of me.:mad:

Oct 27th, called back to District office, big investigation between them and FAO.:confused:

OUTCOME : must be lost in post between local and district offices (less than 1 mile), sorry but don't worry it wll be ok.:(

So much for a new streamlined, efficient system. Come Saturday i am now a criminal on the ERU hitlist:eek:

And they want to protest at pay cuts ffs if it was a private company most of them would have been sacked years ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i rang my local this morning no answer ,rang the district office yea the two cops are off today but will be working tomorrow at nine.
    told him what i was at ,o just put them into the letter box .i told him i wanted to hand them to the Sargent .

this is not good enough ,some one should be onto the national papers or radio with this story ,over 20,000 more unlicensed firearms in the country from sat nite at 12 o clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As a matter of interest, it would appear that I'm now licenced on what I suspect is the biggest rifle in the country:
    remingtonback.jpg
    :D:D:D

It's actually a .223 Rem, and was applied for as such.
    Here's a screen-grab of 'Calibre' box on the application form:
    remingtoncalibre.jpg

I'm at a loss to see how that might be illegible or could be mistaken for something else. :(

jwshooter wrote: »
    i rang my local this morning no answer ,rang the district office yea the two cops are off today but will be working tomorrow at nine.
    told him what i was at ,o just put them into the letter box .i told him i wanted to hand them to the Sargent .

this is not good enough ,some one should be onto the national papers or radio with this story ,over 20,000 more unlicensed firearms in the country from sat nite at 12 o clock.
    You think it's bad now? An Bord Snip Nua wants to close 150 rural stations, so you can assume yours is one of them.

• Advertisement

You think it's bad now? An Bord Snip Nua wants to close 150 rural stations, so you can assume yours is one of them.

it might as well be closed as they are never there when there meant to be .

Rovi wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, it would appear that I'm now licenced on what I suspect is the biggest rifle in the country:
    remingtonback.jpg

remingtoncalibre.jpg

I'm at a loss to see how that might be illegible or could be mistaken for something else. :(

you should get onto john greene im sure he .will build you one in that cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

jwshooter wrote: »

It is the same carry on here too.

Actually I would welcome the option to deal with the district HQ direct.

Rovi wrote: »
    remingtonback.jpg

remingtoncalibre.jpg

Rovi, did you have a look at the post where I broke down the Db fields and compared them with the old ones?

It seems that shotguns are using the calibre field for description of their layout and the second field for calibre.

It's just a short hop from there to someone thinking you've got a shotgun (Remington) and making the required changes :rolleyes: Looking at it again, I think it may be a case of forgetting to put in the calibre and the previous one bleeding through.

That's a very poor Db that allows the contents of a field to be printed from a previous record when the field is blank for the current record.

There really should be a rule about not amending people's forms without their authorisation. I got one acknowledgment yesterday for my Pardini Revolver. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To say nothing of the fact that the shotgun designation of "single barrel" has also bled through, rather than, presumably "bolt action" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I got one acknowledgment yesterday for my Pardini Revolver. :D

Remember to only put 5 rounds in it though :)

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Remember to only put 5 rounds in it though :)

B'Man
    It only holds 5. But if I wanted to have more in it, I could have licensed it as restricted. :p

To say nothing of the fact that the shotgun designation of "single barrel" has also bled through, rather than, presumably "bolt action" or something along those lines.
    I think this is the real issue. They haven't been consistent in their use of the Db fields and they haven't used a great deal of the information on the form (unless it's in some narrative field that we don't see).

I would have expected that 'single barrel' which was part of the 'sub-type' section of the form would have also been put in the same field as 'Bolt Action' instead of which we see it going into the Calibre field and then this stupid '0.73' calibre being put into the next field which is not being used for rifles and pistols.

I've seen this in a number of districts now, so someone has got their wires crossed at a central level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you look at my post on the other thread, I think there may be some advice filtering out from a central position that all the forms are being altered, possibly to dovetail with PULSE, and this may be resulting in the anomalous fields.

• Advertisement

If you look at my post on the other thread, I think there may be some advice filtering out from a central position that all the forms are being altered, possibly to dovetail with PULSE, and this may be resulting in the anomalous fields.
    We know that forms were altered, there are people posting here that saw '12 gauge' being crossed out of the calibre box on the form and substituted with 'single barrel' or 'under and over' etc.

There actually are enough fields for most of the info on the form, the problem is that they're not being used properly.

As a result you have a field left blank for previous records to bleed through to which is unacceptable.

Advertisement