Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES ARRIVED!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No argument here on that front. If .73 is a default, that's one thing, makes it tough if you want to own a 20 bore however (which one is it?) But if it's just the last thing used, then what happens when two centrefire rifles of different calibres are processed in series? My .25-06 could end up being a .25-06 and .223, for example. It's serious in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

No argument here on that front. If .73 is a default, that's one thing, makes it tough if you want to own a 20 bore however (which one is it?) But if it's just the last thing used, then what happens when two centrefire rifles of different calibres are processed in series? My .25-06 could end up being a .25-06 and .223, for example. It's serious in that respect.
    I don't think that's what's happening though. They're not using the second field for calibre for rifles and pistols, just for shotguns.

fat_tony has a licence for a Rifle of .22 inches of 0.73 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Bummer for buying cartridges. If you have your licence saying .73inch, you technically cannot buy 12 Guage. :D (Unless it says somewhere on the box of cartridges the calibre in inches)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Legal, despite what the guidelines/legislation says ?
    Makie upie stuff again :eek:
    BS, the legislation says the super can issue the authorisation letter (for a period of one year) and now that the moderators are back off the restricted list, there's no legal reason they can't. Unless you've seen something I missed (not impossible by a long shot).
    It's just that we were trying to move away from that. But if you need a stopgap measure, it's there...

Sparks wrote: »
    BS, the legislation says the super can issue the authorisation letter (for a period of one year) and now that the moderators are back off the restricted list, there's no legal reason they can't. Unless you've seen something I missed (not impossible by a long shot).
    It's just that we were trying to move away from that. But if you need a stopgap measure, it's there...
    Actually having it on the licence isn't strictly according to the law. It can be implied from the law, but it's not specifically stated that 'silencers' need a seperate licence or be stated specifically on the 'parent' licence.

An authorisation or a permit are perfectly valid substitutions for a firearms certificate and there's been no change there.

So do you want to retract that 'makie upie' comment bunny? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Even if they were gone metric - .22in would convert to .5588cm - so rule that one out too! :D

LB6 wrote: »
    Even if they were gone metric - .22in would convert to .5588cm - so rule that one out too! :D
    Ahem! decimal point in wrong place alert :eek:

I'll go clean my Pardini revolver ;)

Tis the voices I tell ya :D

Knew I wasn't gone stupid - I said .5588cm

If we were to move the decimal point - 5.588 - then it would be mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Recieved my Licences today, applied for 500 rounds but only 100 on each Licence, have you guys found this with your ammo Limits.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Recieved my Licences today, applied for 500 rounds but only 100 on each Licence, have you guys found this with your ammo Limits.
    Some have, some haven't.

bunny shooter had all his reduced to 100, someone else had 1000 reduced to 750 and someone else got the 5000 asked for.

So a mixed bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

firearms licencing in ireland is a lucky dip !.

if the super wakes up in a bad humor your fecked .

no other group in irish society are subjected to the whim of one person ,if this was happening to a minority group like travelers it would end up in the european courts.

WHAT are the nargc etc ,doing about it ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Why did we need photos if they dont appear on the cert:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They would be for the records. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Same as all the other information we all supplied. Between firearms, driving, passport, medical, welfare and numerous other agencies and departments and the information we supply them there will be quite a dossier on each person.

Big brother is watching. Sleep with one eye open and the tinfoil hat at the ready. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

So if your super is in a bad mood the rifle you have licensed for the past 10 years you suddenly don't have a good reason to own it
    Or in a case I recently heard of the super wishes to reduce the amount of firearms in his district so he ok's the applicant for his fox rifle but will not issue the license for a .22 CZ for bunny shooting.

Who makes up these rules?
    Do superintendents have the right to decide they no longer want firearms of a particular type or there are too many firearms in their district?

Considering the legislation states you can hold a firearm subject to good reason, that's not a limited number as some supers believe (3 was the maximum mentioned to me by another club member, so he was informed by the powers that be)

Where's the equality in this interpretation of the law?
    Is each citizen not in title to a fair hearing without having the decision predetermined before hand?
    This is getting worse.

ezridax wrote: »
    Same as all the other information we all supplied. Between firearms, driving, passport, medical, welfare and numerous other agencies and departments and the information we supply them there will be quite a dossier on each person.

Big brother is watching. Sleep with one eye open and the tinfoil hat at the ready. :D

ya but this big brother would not find its ass with two hands and a satnav

TMC121 wrote: »
    So if your super is in a bad mood the rifle you have licensed for the past 10 years you suddenly don't have a good reason to own it
    Or in a case I recently heard of the super wishes to reduce the amount of firearms in his district so he ok's the applicant for his fox rifle but will not issue the license for a .22 CZ for bunny shooting.

Who makes up these rules?
    Do superintendents have the right to decide they no longer want firearms of a particular type or there are too many firearms in their district?

Considering the legislation states you can hold a firearm subject to good reason, that's not a limited number as some supers believe (3 was the maximum mentioned to me by another club member, so he was informed by the powers that be)

Where's the equality in this interpretation of the law?
    Is each citizen not in title to a fair hearing without having the decision predetermined before hand?
    This is getting worse.

if i get fxxxxd with il be on to the nargc in a flash .we my stand united

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

jwshooter wrote: »
    we my stand united

What? Are you a little fxxxxxd already jw by any chance? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

to come back to the thread , got my licenses yesterday. Happy camper.
    and i cannot care less about the quality of the card , surely it is still better that the piece of paper we used to get. So +1 for the garda as far as i am concerned.

iwsf - did you get the amount of rounds on your licence that you requested on your applications forms? - Just curious...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

got more than what i asked for , i only asked for 100 .270 but got 200.
    Same for the shotgun
    i don't do target or clay shooting so i don't need a huge stock of ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD NOTE]

<MUCH SNIPPAGE>

Come on folks, at least try to keep it on topic.

[/MOD NOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Rovi wrote: »
    Got two in the post a few minutes ago, scans will follow shortly.

Got my 308,shotgun and 17 licences this morning sent off the money last friday, holiday weekend, applied for moderators for both rifles nothing to indicate yes or no. I take it that since I applied for a firearm with a moderator and licence was granted I have permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I take it that since I applied for a firearm with a moderator and licence was granted I have permission.
    Nope.

Unless you have a letter of authorisation from the Superintendent you don't have permission.

iwsf - did you get the amount of rounds on your licence that you requested on your applications forms? - Just curious...:)

No just gave me 200 for each of three weapons

No just gave me 200 for each of three weapons

FIREARMS !. you were turned down on the mods then

jwshooter wrote: »
    FIREARMS !. you were turned down on the mods then

l dont know for sure Ill check monday

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I got my firearm licences today, renewed two current firearms and applied for a new .308 Sako Finnlight, put in the applications the first week of October so cant complain about the guards now, i recieved the letters of receipt on wednesday and thought it would be december or january before id recieve the licences.

DR6.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

one lad I know put in for 1000 and got 100 on his license. he's got 250
    above the new limit, he had 500 on the old license.

• Advertisement

does any one know if a permit for the mod is on the licence or not

Advertisement