Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LICENCES ARRIVED!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

charlie10 wrote: »
    regards to the licence i sent in my form 8 days ago along with the reciept of gun, gun cabinet(i know i didint need one by law but just as well to have it)course forms etc etc...two days later got a phone call to say everything looked ok as i only put it through the letter box and didnt meet the FO himself . couple a days later got a leter saying it was being processed then following day letter to say it was granted!!! payed for it yesterday!! now thats what i call service . i had been hearing horror stories of people waitng months and months so i am chuffed to bits

north cork area

That is freaky!!!

I got mine with a wrong serial number...
    I had to send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paul 12g

happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

iv just had the fo out tonite to check my safe all is in order but he says he has to go and check the rifle do they all do that cos thats the first iv heard of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

gavlaw wrote: »
    ......but he says he has to go and check the rifle ...

Is this your first application?

Is it from a dealer?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Is this your first application?

Is it from a dealer?
    i had a shotgun but i sold it yes its from a dealer

• Advertisement

I can understand the inspection for the gun safe and as its your first rifle application the inspection also gives the FO a chance to meet and "gauge" you. I find it odd though that he would want to see the rifle as its coming from a dealer.

The dealer would have to give you a letter/note from the shop with the serial number, make, model calibre, etc of the rifle. He also has to keep records of the sale for his own books and if/when the Gardai inspect him. If he were to lie/omit any detail accidentally or purposely then he is commiting a crime, and NO dealer is going to do that.

I don't honestly know if he can/can't or needs to inspect the rifle at the dealers. To inspect the rifle after you get it may be an option but if that were the case would he not wait until you get the rifle before inspecting it.

Its an odd one alright and the first i've heard off. Best thing to do is to wait and allow him to do his thing. You are not trying to hide anything so have nothing to worry about and if it helps speed up your application let him at it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

its an odd 1 it dosnt bother me theres nothing dodgey going on i just thought it a bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If the rifle is new or imported from the north or the uk and hasn't got a pulse number already they will inpsect it, they did that with my rifle last year!! Just got my grant letter for my shotgun & paid it so will be picking it up in the next week or two!!! too late for the pehsants and duck this year but I can shoot a few clays rabbits and crows over the summer and maybe the odd close fox!! 3 months exactly it took!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

After monitoring this thread for a while and with the 3 month deadline looming fast with regards to my 2 renewals, I made a call to local garda station today.

Had to meet with local inspector to go over my request for a moderator, this was back in October, applications were with them a good while before that. Outcome of the meeting was that he was approving my request for the moderator and that all my application and supporting documentation was in order and that was all I needed to do.

Heard nothing since and most people I know have received their licenses by now.

Today I spoke to the original Garda that I handed my applications in to. Said garda was kind enough to check on their system as to whether mine was entered or not and it turns out that nothing has been input with regards my renewals.

I am now awaiting a call tomorrow night from the inspector whom I met in October who will hopefully explain what has happened. Interesting.:rolleyes:

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong thread as it has nothign to do with licenses arriving, unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

Finally received the .308 license after approx 6 weeks wait :D, absolutely delighted. And boy does it make a big bang when fired ! Wasted no time in getting her broke in, after 15 rounds of 168gr Premier match (insanely expensive) she was nicely zeroed at 100yds, so time for first group...and lo and behold, three rounds went into a group of about 0.3 inches...was over the moon, remington 700 with a HS precision stock with full aluminium bedding block...might not be the most flashy but by god it is one accurate rifle, even in my feeble inexperienced hands !...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Just got my new licence in the post, I'll collect the gun on Sunday!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just got my grant letter for the .17 hrm so I'm well happy with that:) I only handed in the application on 16th Jan. The last two times I had to wait the full 12 weeks. It straight down to the post office with me now the get the ball rolling on the last hurdle, waiting on the actual licence to come. I wish the grant leter stated what ammo limit I'm being granted and the status on the mod request, but I just have to wait until it arrives to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

I got mine 2 weeks ago with a wrong serial number clearly their mistake...brought it in person with FCA2 form straight away...

Not a sound of it since....

Are they on strike...?

They have 14 days in which to substitute a license. I would imagine a similar time frame for amendments. If this is the case then it would be 14 working days. So allow 3 weeks at least. If its not the case then its a matter of waiting until they process it unfortunately.

Tikkat3 wrote: »

I am now awaiting a call tomorrow night from the inspector whom I met in October who will hopefully explain what has happened. Interesting.:rolleyes:

Never did get that call back, so still waiting, long wait for two renewals especially after meeting the inspector and being told it was all in order way back at the start of October :(

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Never did get that call back, so still waiting, long wait for two renewals especially after meeting the inspector and being told it was all in order way back at the start of October :(

You would'nt happen to be in the Mullingar district? The same happenned to me. I put the forms in in September. Only got the payment letters on Wednesday. Paid in the post office straight away. Got both licences Friday Afternoon. Just in time for the Hilltop shoot. :)

Kryten wrote: »
    You would'nt happen to be in the Mullingar district? The same happenned to me. I put the forms in in September. Only got the payment letters on Wednesday. Paid in the post office straight away. Got both licences Friday Afternoon. Just in time for the Hilltop shoot. :)

I'm in Clare, but glad to see that I am not the only one left waiting this long :) Hopefully I will hear something soon as it was quite worrying to hear the garda tell me that there was nothing input into the 'system' as of my phone call over a week ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Paid for the grant letter on Friday, just recieved the licence for the CZ .17hrm its got the S that I wanted and I asked for 200 round and that's wahat I was given. So all in all I happy with that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

good news post.

the system worked for me, (thankfully).

i applied for permits on 7th december 2009 and got grant letters 4th february 2010, so including xmas, i figure a really good turn around.

i got the S on the permits and the round limits i requested.

thank you to An Garda Siochana.

Applied for my new rifle on the 5th Feb, receipt letter on the 10th, grant on the 16th, license in the post this morning.

Happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

I got a phoncall on saturday from a Guard who was insisting that I produce my Countryside alliance membership card, I foolishly mentioned that i had insurance through them, when i asked him why he needed this he said it was a condition of my licence and the applicastion would be rejected without it, This made my blood boil i told him that i was not obliged to produce any card (or even have insurance)and wouldnt be doing so. I am sick of the gaurds making up this stuff as they go along,
    I went to the trouble of getting the land permissions again and delivering them to my local station I am not going to pander to some whim by a gob****e who likes being a jobsworth. If my application is refused because of this I will be happy to apply through the court. Has anybody else had a similar bul**** request.:mad:

Just a quick question.

Why?

I understand you are annoyed and it can be unfair to demand items at a whim but why put yourself through all this hassle and grief when simply producing the card can solve all these problems before they start.

The hoops i and i'm sure others had and still have to jump through to get our licenses issued are many and some seemed silly or overly demanding but i/we all done it to get our licenses. Then have a moan, but first things first get your licenses.

Not meant to provoke you, just a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

ezridax wrote: »
    Just a quick question.

Why?

Thats a fair comment, but I feel very strongly about this, The Guards are Law enforcement not legistlators, if producing a card was a requirement in Law I would do it and maybe grumble at the stuidity of it. I have held a licence for many years without incedent and dont have a big problem having to reapply, but I think this must be based on law and not the whim of any Guard.
    Can you imagine if Driving licences were issued this way.
    This experience afirms my belief that Guards are best suited to deal with criminals and that gun licencing like car licence should be dealt with by local council.
    BTW I still havn't recieved my licence and am waiting for a reply to my phone call I made this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, the Superintendent is entitled to attach conditions to your certificate as he sees fit. It's entirely legal for him to decide that your licence is contingent on you having insurance. In this case, you're entirely in the wrong and you might as well suck it up and show the card, rather than wasting a lot of time and money in the courts to be told "You're wrong, now suck it up and show the damn card".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

So if someone is shooting on their own land would you expect them to produce insurance to Gardai too? It is a silly shooter who wouldn't have relevant insurance BUT where in the legislation does it state I need it for a licence ?

What will the Gardai look for next ? That I have to be able to shoot 100/300 on DTL to get a shotgun licence or that I have to get 250/250 on a benchrest target to get a rifle :mad:

Some people here are so cowed down to authority that it's no wonder we have recently been shafted like we have :rolleyes:

They enforce/administer the law they don't make it ! Another shower of gob****es are doing that !!!!!!!!

Do you remember the "gun safe" case NARGC took and won !!!!!!!

I sucked and stood up to them up in my time and where did it get me ?

Shafted either way but at least by not sucking up you might have some personal pride left !!!!

I don't need insurance to get my salmon fishing permit !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So if someone is shooting on their own land would you expect them to produce insurance to Gardai too? It is a silly shooter who wouldn't have relevant insurance BUT where in the legislation does it state I need it for a licence ?

What will the Gardai look for next ? That I have to be able to shoot 100/300 on DTL to get a shotgun licence or that I have to get 250/250 on a benchrest target to get a rifle :mad:

Some people here are so cowed down to authority that it's no wonder we have recently been shaftedlike we have :rolleyes:

They enforce/administer the law they don't make it ! Another shower of gob****es are doing that !!!!!!!!

Where in the legislation? Exactly where it says that the Superintendent is entitled to attach such conditions to the licence as he sees fit. It's not a section I like, but this isn't about being cowed by authority; it's about seeing the extent of the authority and where we stand in relation to it, and this guy has nowhere to stand. Indeed they don't make it, but the necessary law is right there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

where in the legislation does it state I need it for a licence ?
    Firearms Act, Section 4(2)(g) :
    (2)The conditions subject to which a firearm certificate may be granted are that, in the opinion of the issuing person, the applicant—
    (g) complies with such other conditions (if any) specified in the firearm certificate, including any such conditions to be complied with before a specified date as the issuing person considers necessary in the interests of public safety or security

So the Superintendent can attach a wide range of conditions to your licence (and yes, in theory he could look for a proficiency standard but it's more likely to be upheld if challanged in court if it's a basic competency standard rather than a high-level competitive standard). He can't attach just anything as a condition though, it has to be reasonable.
    Yes, because that case is why we're all in the muck right now.
    I've lost count of how often I've said this Bunny, but you cannot use the judiciary as a stick to beat the executive with in this country. And those who think you can are in for a right land, and quite a few others with them. The NARGC took a lot of cases, one right to the supreme court - and the Minister just rewrote the law afterwards, making it legal to do what the supreme court said was not legal beforehand.
    Shafted either way but at least by not sucking up you might have some personal pride left !!!!
    You stick with personal pride. I'll stick with owning my own house instead of selling it off to pay a barrister for a few days of his time and about five minutes of the Minister's time (to decide to rewrite the law) afterwards, along with all the stress and tension and crapola that comes with it.

Honestly, every time I hear this line being trotted out (and I've been hearing it every year since I started shooting fifteen years ago), I'm in two minds. One mind completely understands the indignation and the anger and the urge to yell and shout and drag people to court. That mind is pissed off that I have to go into the garda station and fill out pages of forms to be allowed to own a piece of sports equipment that no other country in the world calls a firearm (let alone the W word) -- while literally two minutes away, on the very next luas stop, there's an alleyway where some thug is openly dealing narcotics in full public view of every commuter coming or going, every night I pass there, and there's not a garda in sight.

But the other mind, the mind that pays the morgage and holds down the job, wonders if the goal here is to enjoy my sport or enjoy fighting "de man". And if it's the former, every euro and every minute that goes towards yelling at someone had better be worth it, because it's a minute or a euro that didn't go towards my sport. And I don't have an infinite supply of either.

IWM & Sparks I know what your saying and I know ye're right :eek:

BUT.................sod it lads .................. I don't like golf as much as I like shooting :o

I'm dreading my renewals next time so ............................... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I know where you're coming from Bunny. And it's not just shooting - whenever I watch the news these days, half my head just screams obscenities at the box and the other half starts looking into emigration :(

• Advertisement

I know your pain. I did the emigration thing last time. Not going again :(

Advertisement