Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damp wall - recommend a contractor?

• 27-10-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Please move if wrong section.

Hi, our house is a terraced one approx 180 years old in Dublin. Our sitting room window wall is damp along with part of the wall beside the hall door (same wall). It doesn't smell damp but the wallpaper is bubbling and you can see it crumbling underneath. Our house is very warm due to a good boiler and it holds the heat well. I think the windows need to be replaced as they've been there for over 20 years and you can see bits of condensation between the glass (standard aluminium double glazing) but can't see it happening any time soon as my elderly mother is resistant to change!

I know you can get a grant for dry-lining walls but will this cover curing the damp as well? Can anyone recommend a contractor from the list? External insulation is not an option as its a terraced house and would stick out like a sore thumb!

Thanks for your help. Useless at all this! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 taxman

Before deciding on dry-lining, be sure that it is not damp ingress from outside, maybe through blocked gutters/valleys, etc.

Find the source of damp before covering it up. It may not be condensation if the inside of the windows arent wet.

Advertisement