Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating to new server (Win 2k3)

Options
  • 27-10-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I've started in a business where there is one server & DC (IBM xseries 226) running AD, DNS, DHCP, WINS, File & Print Services.

I discovered that it was bought second hand a few years ago, and has only 1GB ram! Also only 500MB free on primary partition. The network in our place is going down multiple times per week, group policies are being bypassed and there are multiple intermittent DNS/DHCP issues.

I got the go-ahead to purchase a new server, which is arriving later today. Luckily, I work in a college which is taking halloween holidays, so there is nobody accessing the network til next monday, so i have a bit of time to play with..

I'm just looking for information as to the best route to take with this new server.. IE: Should I migrate all services, or use old server as, lets say, a file and print server? The new server is brand new, very high spec, and our college is relatively small (90-100 nodes, 120+ users)

Some advice as to the best way to do this migration would be very helpful, as I said, I just started in this job 2 weeks ago, it's my first job since graduating, and it's my first time to install a new server.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

To Be honest sounds like you really need to outsource this , especially if your network is dropping connection multiple times per week, it would also more than likely work out far more cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 boseytal

OK, well outsourcing isn't really an option for me. As I said, it is dropping maybe 2-3 times per week, and its concurrent with a critical DNS error in Active Directory.

I want to do this myself as its good experience, I am just looking for advice from others who have gone through this procedure before..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Personally, I'd brin the new server up as a secondary domain controller with all the same services and then start disabling them on the old server oce everything is running. As for the dns issue, that sounds like a seperate issue not related to the server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Ask youself how critical this is to your business. Then make a call regarding how to best proceed.

It's very easy to gon online, get bad and wrong advice, follow it and create a lot of downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

A Simple Guide

Install OS
    Configure 2nd Server as a domain contoller. (Allow time to Sync, or force Sync)Set Up as Secondary DNS Server
    (When you use the DNS \ DHCP console, add both servers to the view so you can copy the setting from one to another)
    Set Up as Secondary DHCP Server
    Leave it for a few hours to Sync (Overnight lets say)

Make sure you configure the old DC to push out your new DC's address as a secondary DNS, Test to make sure its resolving (nslookup)
    Migrate all the FSMO roles to the New DC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/324801

Install the support and admin tools
    Run tests dcdiag /e, netdiag etc and look for problems

Make new DC primary DNS and DHCP server
    Make Old DC Secondary DNS and DHCP Server

WINS - Check if its still needed, I haven't used it in years

File and Print - Migrate.

Once everything has settled and you are happy you have nothing on the old DC thats needed. Format and rebuild as above as a secondary DC.

Thats pretty much what I would do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement