Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone circle at Carrickfinn

Options
  • 27-10-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the stone circle is at the turnoff for Carrickfinn airport on the right hand side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Glenalla wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the stone circle is at the turnoff for Carrickfinn airport on the right hand side?

As far as I know, there is no history associated with this stone circle. They certainly do not appear on any OS maps and were only "put up" a few years ago by a local. There is a road beside the stone circle, which leads to his house or beside his house (I think).

Below is a picture that I had planned for the Photo Game, which was taken at high tide a few weeks back. It does look better when not submerged..

In a few hunderd years and when the sea levels revert to what they are today, it may be considered a fantastic discovery!!!!!

19092009n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

As far as I know, there is no history associated with this stone circle. They certainly do not appear on any OS maps and were only "put up" a few years ago by a local. There is a road beside the stone circle, which leads to his house or beside his house (I think).

Below is a picture that I had planned for the Photo Game, which was taken at high tide a few weeks back. It does look better when not submerged..

In a few hunderd years and when the sea levels revert to what they are today, it may be considered a fantastic discovery!!!!!

19092009n.jpg
    Thanks, didnt know the tide came up that far!! Good pic, would have had everyone guessing as it is normally grass

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Gosh, I might have guessed it as a boat's ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

There is a stone circle NW of Dunfanaghy, its in a very isolated spot and I can find no history or references to it online. I have asked several people from the area and no one seems to know its history or significance.

Heres how to get to it (sorry I have no photos), go over the bridge to Horn Head just where St Michael's GAA grounds are, hop over the wall here and walk towards the sand dunes that are above the football pitch. You will have to walk a mile or so, over to a beach called Tramore. Instead of going down onto the beach, keep right and go out towards the head land where the cliffs are. The stone circle is on a flat area at the centre of the grass area ontop of the headland, which looks directly over to Tory.

I must go back out there and get some shots sometime

hmmm, found a stone circle or cashel on the Donegal Planning website, (which has the best aerial photography and access to old six inch maps if you know which box to tick) Ram Park, Clogher, Dunfanaghy.

• Advertisement

thats an excellent map Durnish, its a bit slow to load up the different ariel photos, but the quality is great. Where I was refering to is a place called Marfagh, just above Curragh Harbour at Tramore, West of Dunfanaghy, there is a no. 37 marked near the spot where the circle is, but its not very clear when you zoom in, you can vaguely make out a circular raised area.
    Where is Ram Park, I did a search on Clogher and it directed me to the Clogher near Clar, outside Donegal Town

go a bit northwest of Marvagh, click on the six inch option , click off the Ortho-thing2004, and you will see a beautiful stone cashel, marked in gothic script on the old six inch, (Ram Park shows on that map) and still showing up beautifully on the aerial thing.

We use that aerial map to show terrain when we want to find an old road or bohereen

Thats the stone circle I meant, I had my bearings wrong when I was describing where I thought it was first. Its further up the embankment than I had realised, if you get a clear day its a fabulous place to visit. Theres one dangerous part on the walk over where you have to climb over a fence on the edge of a large drop, but Im sure theres a way around it. There is a site near the dunes on the walk over there that was an ancient settlement and alot of artifacts have been found there over the years dating back 2000 years. I see there are a couple of megalithic tombs north of Marvagh also. I might take a run up the next clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Nice detective work guys. It's called cashelnaclogherny on the OSI's map viewer... http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

I went over that way today, heres a few shots of the stone circle. Its not quite Beltany, but v interesting all the same. I didnt have the time today to make it as far as the Megalithic tombs, but will the next time. In one of the shots, the remains of the fort can be seen at the elevated area to the right of the shot

• Advertisement
Advertisement