Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance - Huge jump in renewal!!

Options
  • 27-10-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

I just got my house insurance renewal there last week and it has jumped up nearly 200euro since last year, i cant understand it as ive had no claims.

Ill be definately ringing around as many as i can to try get better quote. Has anyone else found that their premiums have jumped up for no reason?

Or has anyone any got any good value quotes from certain companies? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

I got insurance for my house contents from the UK at a fraction of the price I'd be charged here. Irish insurance companies seriously rip off people, besides making getting insurance extremely hard, espcially if you're a foreigner.

The company I used is Lark Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But can you use a UK company for an irish household though?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

andreac wrote: »
    But can you use a UK company for an irish household though?

Well, they know my house is in Ireland and they did it for me, although I'm using a musical instruments policy instead of the household one. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use an UK company.

It's not like motor insurance that you're actually forced into going with an Irish company. I'd send them an email and get a quote anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can expect home insurance cover to shoot up over the next couple of years, particularly buildings cover. The number of house "accidentally" going up in flames has skyrocketed since the recession.

Insurance premiums have a natural tendancy to swing upwards and downwards. The next couple of years is a swing upwards which will inevitably be followed by a swing downwards.

Maybe look at your policy and work out if you're actually valuing everything properly. Remember to get quotes from everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

I have had a similar experience with both motor and house insurance. Left both companies and got much cheaper quotes from an insurance crowd called 123.ie. Checked around a few and they were by far the cheapest. Not a bad idea to go further afield either and try a foreign/uk company...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe look at your policy and work out if you're actually valuing everything properly. quote]

Very good point. Insurance cover on buildings is indexed linked. There is a reduction in reinstatment costs as builders cut their prices. We examined our policy and the buildings cover was overvalued by about €70k. Have a look at reinstatement building costs attached..

Advertisement