Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a wireless router be used as a network card?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Just moved into an apt which has wireless bb. My laptop has built in wireless but my pc doesnt. Now I should probably just buy a wireless dongle for my pc but is there a way I can use my spare wireless router to connect to a wireless network?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Generally speaking no.

What you might be able to do is use your spare wireless router as a switch, and then bridge the wireless and ethernet connections on the laptop. Its possible to do, but I would not recommend it unless its an emergency. Its a complicated setup, and the more complicated the setup, the more problems will arise.

You didnt mention what OS you are using, so I will assume it is XP. Here is a tutorial on bridging for XP:
    http://www.home-network-help.com/network-bridge.html

Like I said, I would not recommend doing this. You will pick up a wireless dongle for about 30 quid, which will install in 5 minutes.

If you set up the network bridge, you could lose internet connectivity on both the laptop and Desktop, and then you will be in big trouble.

My advice: Get a dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

I'm no expert but I think what you're trying to achieve is a wirelesss bridge. I think it's possible but I could not achieve this using the eircom Netopia router (Posted a thread about this a few days ago!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

dartsfan wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I think what you're trying to achieve is a wirelesss bridge. I think it's possible but I could not achieve this using the eircom Netopia router (Posted a thread about this a few days ago!)

Its actually a Linksys WRT350N and I'm using windows vista - will see if I can find some info on bridging for this combo

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Its actually a Linksys WRT350N and I'm using windows vista - will see if I can find some info on bridging for this combo

Yes, I think I saw plenty of instructions around for this router when I was looking. Post back if you manage to do this successfully, would be interested to hear results for this router.

Advertisement