Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barnsley v Man Utd, Carling Cup 27th of Oct

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

only1stevo wrote: »
    Your argument, Gary Neville is a legend and is therefore reliable.

Mine, He is no longer reliable and is a legend despite this.

Sorry, but that ain't a correct interpretation there. The lad clearly states Neville is reliable AND a legend, not just reliable because he is a legend. Seriously, it CLEARLY says that in the post you quoted.

I would say Neville is past his best, but his performances over the last couple of weeks have been promising. Was composed and reliable vs CSKA. Against Bolton he had a good game too imo - people give out about his performances in that game cause Knight dominated him in the air in the last 20minutes, but Fergie should not have allowed that to happen and there is little Neville can do about his lack of height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

d22ontour wrote: »
    Squinty eye mode on.Text is so small.

:eek:
    Everyone is after me today.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Your argument, Gary Neville is a legend and is therefore reliable.

Mine, He is no longer reliable and is a legend despite this.
    Sorry, but that ain't a correct interpretation there. The lad clearly states Neville is reliable AND a legend, not just reliable because he is a legend. Seriously, it CLEARLY says that in the post you quoted.

I would say Neville is past his best, but his performances over the last couple of weeks have been promising. Was composed and reliable vs CSKA. Against Bolton he had a good game too imo - people give out about his performances in that game cause Knight dominated him in the air in the last 20minutes, but Fergie should not have allowed that to happen and there is little Neville can do about his lack of height.

I said Gary is an reliable player and a legend. Not reliable as he is legand like you think so. He had a bad season last, but as Mitch Connor said he was composed and reliable vs CSKA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Man Utd are you drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Missed the game but just saw the 2 goals there. Owen's goal was classy imo. Very happy for him. Was Obertan's performance good enough to see him get on the bench for Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i hope headshot updates his tevez v owen goal tally ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

manutd wrote: »
    I said Gary is an reliable player and a legend. Not reliable as he is legand like you think so. He had a bad season last, but as Mitch Connor said he was composed and reliable vs CSKA.

huh you tend to have a bad season when your injured??

Man Utd are you drunk?
    I don't think so. Just a bad day at the office for me.

ntlbell wrote: »
    huh you tend to have a bad season when your injured??
    Ya, i know, that what i mean, he had a bad season as he was injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ye but the lads general lack of clarity and substance in his posts gave me the impression he is one of those lads who defend neville to the last.
    Why bother bring up Neville being a legend like? A fair assumption imo.

His latest sequence of comical posts settle it.

Anyway, will obertan get a lookin saturday lads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I would not have said Neville was composed and reliable against CSKA. Several times it was clear age had caught up with him. Nothing of note came from these so they are forgotten but his lack of pace was a hindrance, especially one instance in the first half where he had a 2-3 yard headstart and was still beaten to the ball. It may seem like a small thing to highlight but in bigger games against better opposition he will be caught out.

He is best used only in games like tonight and I would have O'Shea, Brown, Rafael, Fabio and a fit Hargreaves(some hope!) ahead of him in the queue for right back.

On tonights match I also think that Tosic showed enough to warrant a few more chances. Nice first touch, comfortable on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ntlbell wrote: »
    i hope headshot updates his tevez v owen goal tally ;)

Lager Cup goals don't count, Headshot's own rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Some of my random thoughts on the game:

My first time seeing Oberton. Was very impressed. He's skillful, big, very fast and he linked up well.

Owen's goal was an absolute beauty. All of his goals for United so far have been peaches, iirc, long may it continue.

Wellbeck was lively and played well, even if he was trying to do a little too much at times. Kiko was a bit quiet but still had some lovely touches.

Yer man Hume for Barnsley has one mean looking scar on his head. I think the commentator said it was football related. That must have been horrific. Fair balls to him getting back out playing.

Foster made a great point blank save near the end. He is now the epitome of a good-shot-stopper-but-unreliable-and-dodgy-on-crosses keeper imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Pro. F wrote: »

Yer man Hume for Barnsley has one mean looking scar on his head. I think the commentator said it was football related. That must have been horrific. Fair balls to him getting back out playing.

The work of Chris Morgan frm Sheff united. Total and Utter thug, Showed little sympathy and should have been banned for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Obertan is just what we need....PACEY!!
    Crackin goal from Owen

manutd wrote: »
    I don't think so. Just a bad day at the office for me.

I wasnt having a go. I just noticed different font sizes and misspellings and thought maybe you were hammered.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Foster made a great point blank save near the end. He is now the epitome of a good-shot-stopper-but-unreliable-and-dodgy-on-crosses keeper imo.

I think this is the case with a lot of naturally talented but inexperienced keepers. They become more assured with gametime (obviously proportionate to their talent/intelligence) and they also become more communicative and less prone to mistakes.

Until they get very old and then it reverses.

I still dont think Foster will make it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I agree with what ye say about Foster his decision making and coming for crosses is poor but his shot stopping is excellent.

Was behind goal for Arsenal game and in second half he got foot out to shot that looked certain to be goal for that spilt second. He is good but his problem lies in making mistakes at cruicial times.

He needs to have 5-6 decent games now in row if SAF is to consider him again in league

Seems that a number of United fans forced their way into a catering booth at Oakwell tonight, towards the end of the game, and that staff were forced to barracade themselves in a store room. The incident has been reported to police, who have started an investigation.

Hope these people get whats coming to them.
    Just back from Barnsley. Utter carnage in the concourse at half time - someone kicked open the exit gates and dozens jibbed in. Then the riot police arrived and ordered the bar shut, then followed by a bunch of United raiding it.

Then, in response to chants of "We're going on the pitch" half of the South Yorkshire police turn up in full riot gear, with horses and dogs (cue the Park song!) to attempt to keep United fans off the pitch, only to see Barnsley fans invade it from behind them.

However, a very good anti-Glazer protest in the second half with chants/banners etc. And I couldn't help but chuckle when Owen's goal was greeted with "You scouse bastard" from the United end though. He looked crestfallen and had to be ushered away by Anderson, poor smurf. :D

92392665.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0D4E3EF6A7A65EB8B58BC22EB5B8A22B2B2E7AE9CDB56025D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I agree with what ye say about Foster his decision making and coming for crosses is poor but his shot stopping is excellent.

Was behind goal for Arsenal game and in second half he got foot out to shot that looked certain to be goal for that spilt second. He is good but his problem lies in making mistakes at cruicial times.

He needs to have 5-6 decent games now in row if SAF is to consider him again in league
    Any goalkeeper above amateur level is a good shot stopper. There is much much more to being a goalkeeper than just shot stopping ability. He was very poor last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

my favourite chant from last night:

Michael owen is a red, is a red, is a red,
    Michael owen is a red,
    He Hates Scousers!

just after he scored, gotta love it!

(i didnt hear the neville version of that chant very often if at all last night)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Unless VDS gets sidelined again with injury this year (crossing fingers that it doesn't happen) he'll never get another run of games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Happy with the performance last night. Obertan was solid and had some great moments but I'd like to see more of him. I'd like to see him on the bench against Blackburn and if United get a few goals, give him the last 25 minutes. Owens goal was class.

Cringe factor nine, Mr. Sulu....from the Guardian minute-by-minute report of the game...

United change: Owen off, De Laet on. Perhaps Fergie's reasoning is that it's better De Laet than Neville?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Tried flicking back a page or two, but cant see much about the two clowns who scored Barnsleys "consulation" goal in injury time. What a ridiculous security attempt by the stewards at the ground, how long did they spend on the pitch??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That whole catering incident seems to be much ado about nothing.

They had a woman who works in one of the vans what happened on SSN just there. She seemed to crumble on every question.

It probably wasn't as bad as first thought to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Obertan is just what we need....PACEY!!
    Crackin goal from Owen

Yes,obertan looks good.Keeps the ball well and look like he has more natural ability than valencia although his upper body strength leaves a lot to be desired.Foster will be a great keeper.good Decision making comes with age.Hes in his mid twenties for cryin out loud.10 years time and with gained experience he will be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Barnsley fan scores against Manchester United

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3754728/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

from a thread on redcafe
    posted by ralphie88

My take on last night - over-the-top policing from the start, before the match even started we were herded into some ****ing Leisure complex and told we would not be allowed in any pubs. This meant everyone arrived at the turnstiles at the same time, meaning the usual crush at the entrances and on the steps immediately behind the goal. No police inside the ground at all to try and interact with fans and the young rats took the opportunity of the choas - created by shockingly backward crowd management - to run riot. The robo-cop intervention to the jibbing and the subsequent trashing of the pie stall then meant that around 300 United (who'd done nothing wrong) had to be walked around the front, rather than being allowed back up the normal entrances, meaning an even bigger crush at the front.

The fans then sang "We're going on the pitch" (as they usually do!) and the police panicked and brought out the riot gear, dogs, and horses and got into scuffles with some fans, at one point trying to steal a banner. This obviously antagonised fans and made matters worse.

It doesn't defend the actions of a minority of about 200 in a crowd of 6,000 but it does explain why they were allowed to get away with it. In short - there was no riot, just some pissed up kids and some very poor policing.

Oh, and the atmosphere was ****ing cracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Yes,obertan looks good.Keeps the ball well and look like he has more natural ability than valencia although his upper body strength leaves a lot to be desired.Foster will be a great keeper.good Decision making comes with age.Hes in his mid twenties for cryin out loud.10 years time and with gained experience he will be great

The way he plays I can see him getting injured alot, even though he is a big enough fella. Will draw alot of fouls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think alot of ya's are being a bit hard on Ben Foster, one I think he is better than Kuzack and he is still pretty young and inexpierienced at first team level, as said his shot stopping is excellent it's just his decisions and mistakes that are letting him down but I can imagine he is unde3r alot of pressure to perform as is any player at Man Utd.

We have had far worst first team keepers than him before, Bartez was brutal, Bosnich had to have been on drugs or something , Howard aswell.

Give him time and this lad could be a top class goalkeeper, reminds me of a young Shay Given in some ways, Maybe a full season on loan in a decent leauge would do him the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ben Foster is not "young", he isn't even "young for a keeper" any more.

And he had a season on loan out at Watford.

Well he is 26, peak age for a goalkeeper is generally 30 + , I still rate him and i'm sure if utd let him go he would be snapped up by another premiership club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

everytime i watch i watch Foster, he makes about 3 mistakes per match. that isn't acceptable for someone who wants to be a keeper at a top club.

Des wrote: »
    Ben Foster is not "young", he isn't even "young for a keeper" any more.

And he had a season on loan out at Watford.

Yes he is.Do you ever watch soccer?The best keepers are all 30+.Look at friedel,james,van der sar,given,sorenson,buffon,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do you ever watch soccer?

:D

• Advertisement

Yes he is.Do you ever watch soccer?The best keepers are all 30+.Look at friedel,james,van der sar,given,sorenson,buffon,

Cech, Reina & Casillas have taken offence to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cech 27, Reina 27, Casillas 28.

Most keepers do get keeping better when they are older however the still look solid enough by there mid 20's.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Cech is not the goalkeeper he was a few years ago.Casillas and reina are exceptions

Cech is still light years ahead of Foster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This season they are the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cech is not the goalkeeper he was a few years ago.Casillas and reina are exceptions

LOL so he was better when he was younger?

That kind of ****s up your point even more.

LOL so he was better when he was younger?

That kind of ****s up your point even more.

No,im saying that he is going through a rough patch but as he gets older and gains more experience he will be cnsistently the best keeper in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

But he was one of the best in the world in his early 20s.

Seriously, have a think about that one...

In terms of shot stopping,no.In terms of decision making yes,but not this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

green123 wrote: »
    Barnsley fan scores against Manchester United

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3754728/

great control and a cool finish:D

celebration by fans was gas

Yes,he had a few good seasons and clearly has the natural ability to be a great keeper.But his form has dipped due to a lack of experience(although he still has a lot) and bad decision making.Of course,there are exceptions to every rule and the goalkeeper theory is one

I really doubt that Al. Honestly....

yea, i do too! :D

btw, anytime i watch Wellbeck i think he is in a different galaxy to Macheda, looks a really good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yea, i do too! :D

btw, anytime i watch Wellbeck i think he is in a different galaxy to Macheda, looks a really good player.

How many times have you seen Macheda play?

Cech was an exception and was the best keeper in the world before Stephen Hunt shattered his skull which was very unfortunate. This season and last season Cech is a shadow of what he was, he makes bad decisions that has led to goals being leaked, he hasn't looked confident coming for crosses or in one on one situations and I can see his confidence getting worst and maybe even being turfed out of Chelsea if it keeps up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement