Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers - airport?

• 27-10-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I was waiting at the Aircoach bus stop on Dawson Street this morning when a taxi driver pulled up and asked an American girl in front of me if she wanted to go to the airport (I notice he didn't ask me, maybe realising I was local). She told him she would get the bus, but I was wondering: is it legal for taxi drivers to solicit fares unasked like that, or must they wait to be hailed on the street or in a rank?
    Just felt sorry for any tourists who found themselves paying 25 lids to go to the airport one-way instead of the few quid it is on the aircoach...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like he's just trying to cash in from tourists who may not know any better,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I was waiting at the Aircoach bus stop on Dawson Street this morning when a taxi driver pulled up and asked an American girl in front of me if she wanted to go to the airport (I notice he didn't ask me, maybe realising I was local). She told him she would get the bus, but I was wondering: is it legal for taxi drivers to solicit fares unasked like that, or must they wait to be hailed on the street or in a rank?
    Just felt sorry for any tourists who found themselves paying 25 lids to go to the airport one-way instead of the few quid it is on the aircoach...

Though it wouldn't be legal, as long as the fare charged is the metered fare then this doesn't belong in rip off ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Queenofsheba

Yes indeedy. I just rang the Taxi Regulator out of curiousity and they said it's totally illegal. Wish I had got his licence reg number - I'm all for entrepreneurship but that's taking the mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Queenofsheba

I partly agree with you Spook, but I would infer from the way he dodged into the lane to target the lost-looking tourist (and not me) that he was planning to take advantage of the fact that they wouldn't realise there was such a huge gap between the cost of a taxi to the airport and the price of the bus. ANd those buses come every 15 mins and only stop twice or so after that so they are pretty efficient, even if you're in a hurry.
    Opportunism knocks!
    I'm off on my flight now so apologies if I don't reply after this

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leandro

I was at the Aircoach stop at 4am, it was freezing and there was some other 5 people waiting for the bus, then a taxi driver with a van came up and asked if we want a ride to the airport for the same 7 euro as Aircoach, we all agreed to go with him... I don't really know if that is illegal, but anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 giveitago

Mate of mine does the same thing. He always make his way back to the airport after dropping off. Fills his van with pasengers for the same price as the bus. He's heading that anyway, no need to target "touristy type folk" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leandro

In fairness, the Aircoach is a very decent service for a very decent price, in all other countries the airport transfers cost much more than 7 EUR.

As we are talking about rip-offs what about the service Dublin Bus provides? The Airlink costs 6 EUR for a not very decent service. If it was 4 EUR, why not? But for 1 EUR less than Aircoach... I will always take the Aircoach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

I was waiting with a couple of tourists a month or so back at the Aircoach stop at Leeson Street at around 4.30am and I had a taxi driver draw up and offer me the same price as the coach, we both had return tickets so refused, and got a whole load of abuse and called every name under the sun by the taxi driver who then told me that he hopes we have a dangerous flight - reported him to the regulator, taxi drivers do themselves no favours, I don't particuarly like people offering me the fares at stops, and most of them drive past, but when I refuse someone and they still persist and call me names - thats too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're probably doing it because they've seen people stuck waiting for an Aircoach that hasn't shown up.

The last two times I got the aircoach I was waiting around 40 minutes for one - and this wasn't even at peak traffic times, and they take ages to get to the airport - why on earth don't they use the port tunnel? At least then they'd been a decent alternative to Dublin Bus' 747 service..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're probably doing it because they've seen people stuck waiting for an Aircoach that hasn't shown up.

The last two times I got the aircoach I was waiting around 40 minutes for one - and this wasn't even at peak traffic times, and they take ages to get to the airport - why on earth don't they use the port tunnel? At least then they'd been a decent alternative to Dublin Bus' 747 service..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

This happened to me and a friend a month ago as we were waiting for the airport bus.

The guy offered to take us for the same fair as the bus and was totally upfront that he was going to drive the same route as the bus so he could check out all the other stops for other potential airport passengers. We accepted, he didn't find anyone else to pick up and he got us to the airport in short order.

It is undercutting the airport service but at 6am when you're knackered with all your bags you don't really give a f about that. Plus there'll always be a need for the bus service as many travellers particularly overseas visitors and women will opt to wait for the bus due to safety concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

leandro wrote: »
    In fairness, the Aircoach is a very decent service for a very decent price, in all other countries the airport transfers cost much more than 7 EUR.

As we are talking about rip-offs what about the service Dublin Bus provides? The Airlink costs 6 EUR for a not very decent service. If it was 4 EUR, why not? But for 1 EUR less than Aircoach... I will always take the Aircoach.

There is also the 41 and 16A for €2.20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

There is also the 41 and 16A for €2.20.

I nearly always get that bus (16a) home from the airport. I think it is fantastic that you can travel to/from the airport for this kind of money. You don't see that in many other cities. But on my way way to the airport I wouldn't chance it as it goes around residential areas and can get caught in traffic.

Sometimes when I'm standing on O Connell st waiting for the air port bus I'd wish that a taxi driver would pull up and offer to bring me out for the same fare. Espicially after the last time I shared the bus will 57 teenage french students and all of about 1 teacher. Phew. No harm in them asking, you'd be glad to give them a fare at a reasonable price. Everyone wins.

I hate the way the aircoach stop and the bus 747 stop are so far away from each other - you really have to commit to which one you want to get - no standing there and hopping on the first one that comes along. Coz you know it will the other bus :) Murphys Law.

mikemac wrote: »
    So he charges €7?
    Offer to pay him when you get the airport
    Now you know he'll load up 4-5 passengers, the taxi driver won't do an airport run until it's worth their while.

When you get there ask for the waiver form, you need to sign a waiver form if the meter isn't being used. Then offer to split the metered fare among all the passengers.
    If the driver disagrees direct them to the garda station at the airport. So that's 4-5 waiver forms that need to be signed
    Score one free taxi ride and you did nothing wrong at all :D

Point 1, If you agree a fare off the meter and you wish to follow the legitimate route of using a waiver form, then the waiver form is signed at the start of the journey not at the end.

Point 2. If a waiver form is being used there would be no metered fare to split.

Point 3. You're sounding like the kind of smug so n so that I'd go out of my way to avoid.

Point 4. If you dislike taxi drivers being enterprising that much, then stick to the €2.20 bus fare and wait in the cold, no ones holding a gun to your head..

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

There is a sign at the aircoach stop on Dawson street saying that Taxi Drivers are not allowed to do that. I noticed it last time I was waiting for the bus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ANd those buses come every 15 mins and only stop twice or so after that so they are pretty efficient, even if you're in a hurry.
    And even if they do have stops, it could be a lot shorter time & lengthwise if you go the "tourist route", and if he was singling out foreign looking people he probably is going to take the scenic route.

Its not exactly crime of the century. I much prefer the aircoach, far comfier seats and after a long business day I don't want to chat to drivers, though the majority cop on to that if you give a few yawns getting in. Even if money is no issue, (i.e. work paying) I usually get the aircoach and taxi from the final stop. esp. after the time I was kicked out of a taxi from the airport since he "had promised to meet somebody at a certain time", which I know is illegal blah blah I was too tired and jetlagged to get into an argument and take down numbers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Have to say I've done this once before and offered 4 people at 5 euro each to the airport I was happy with the 20 euro normally 25 or so. I don't see how cab drivers think by offering 7 euro then stopping at every stop they think there doing a deal to the customer.
    I'd be very suprised if anyone hear objected to 5 euro per person at one stop not checking the rest. What's the point in charging 7 then going to every stop. Offer 5 at one stop that has a few ppl and they will appreciate it more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

eth0_ wrote: »

I've been at the Aircoach bus stop twice on Dawson street waiting for at least 40 minutes and ended up getting a taxi with some others. OK, the taxi did pull in and offer to take us but we were grateful. I don't see anything wrong with a taxi pulling in and offering to take a few people to the airport if there's a queue. If I recall we paid around €7 each anyway so there wasn't much difference.

rubadub wrote: »
    And even if they do have stops, it could be a lot shorter time & lengthwise if you go the "tourist route", and if he was singling out foreign looking people he probably is going to take the scenic route.

Its not exactly crime of the century. I much prefer the aircoach, far comfier seats and after a long business day I don't want to chat to drivers, though the majority cop on to that if you give a few yawns getting in. Even if money is no issue, (i.e. work paying) I usually get the aircoach and taxi from the final stop. esp. after the time I was kicked out of a taxi from the airport since he "had promised to meet somebody at a certain time", which I know is illegal blah blah I was too tired and jetlagged to get into an argument and take down numbers etc.

Is there a scenic route between bus stops? Just where are you expecting a driver to go, all around the estates looking for people walking to the stops..

Maybe you're expecting him to ring doorbells to see if they want to go to the airport!

Emme wrote: »
    I've been at the Aircoach bus stop twice on Dawson street waiting for at least 40 minutes and ended up getting a taxi with some others. OK, the taxi did pull in and offer to take us but we were grateful. I don't see anything wrong with a taxi pulling in and offering to take a few people to the airport if there's a queue. If I recall we paid around €7 each anyway so there wasn't much difference.

Ah but don't ye know ye was being ripped off! :rolleyes:

Seriously I have to agree with you, I don't see the problem as long as you don't get the odd lunatic ranting at you for not getting in their taxi..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Point 1, If you agree a fare off the meter and you wish to follow the legitimate route of using a waiver form, then the waiver form is signed at the start of the journey not at the end.

Point 2. If a waiver form is being used there would be no metered fare to split.

Point 3. You're sounding like the kind of smug so n so that I'd go out of my way to avoid.

Point 4. If you dislike taxi drivers being enterprising that much, then stick to the €2.20 bus fare and wait in the cold, no ones holding a gun to your head..
    Wavier form cannot be signed unless it's a prebooked fare - otherwise driver HAS to run the meter - he can charge less than the metered fare if agreed but may not charge more than the metered fare - regardless of what agreement he made with people in advance (unless it's prebooked) i.e. agrees 5 people at €5 a head = €25 but if fare comes to €23 that all he can legally charge

amtaxi wrote: »
    Wavier form cannot be signed unless it's a prebooked fare - otherwise driver HAS to run the meter - he can charge less than the metered fare if agreed but may not charge more than the metered fare - regardless of what agreement he made with people in advance (unless it's prebooked) i.e. agrees 5 people at €5 a head = €25 but if fare comes to €23 that all he can legally charge

Define the period that becomes pre-booked? If I said I want a taxi in 20seconds from know is that a prebooking?

How many times have you seen people standing with a hand on the door of a taxi to stop other people getting in, while they yell goodnight at their mates, is that not in effect prebooking ( reserving ) your taxi?

I know where you're coming from but when a law is an ass it's still an ass even if it's the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Define the period that becomes pre-booked? If I said I want a taxi in 20seconds from know is that a prebooking?

How many times have you seen people standing with a hand on the door of a taxi to stop other people getting in, while they yell goodnight at their mates, is that not in effect prebooking ( reserving ) your taxi?

I know where you're coming from but when a law is an ass it's still an ass even if it's the law
    The law is there to protect people from being ripped off - recently came across a case where a driver at the airport got tourists to sign wavier telling them he was doing them a deal - he overcharged them by €45 - which when his case is finished will cost him about €500 in fines. The fact is that as a taxi driver you can "quote" a fare if someone rings you and prebooks otherwise you must run the meter - this does not stop the driver from charging a lower fare but he cannot charge a higher fare than whats on the meter - Personally I don't see a problem with this

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

How would the taxi drivers feel if the Aircoach stopped at the taxi ranks!

Typical taxi drivers, need I say more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You all seem to forget they (travelling public) were the taxi drivers fares until the aircoach came and robbed them from the taxi men.

In the words of Arthur Daley "hitting old ladies over the head and taking their handbags is robbery, everything else is business"

Aircoach (an english company) has put the Bray Air Express off the road and is doing it's best to put the Patton Flyer off the road whilst another british company Citylink is operating illegally trying to put an Irish operator GoBus out of business. I have no sympathy for british bus companies over here just to make profits. If a taxi wants to take you to the airport for €7 whats the problem?

trad wrote: »
    You all seem to forget they (travelling public) were the taxi drivers fares until the aircoach came and robbed them from the taxi men.

Isn’t that called competition!
    In the words of Arthur Daley "hitting old ladies over the head and taking their handbags is robbery, everything else is business"

Nice quote :)
    Aircoach (an english company) has put the Bray Air Express off the road and is doing it's best to put the Patton Flyer off the road whilst another british company Citylink is operating illegally trying to put an Irish operator GoBus out of business. I have no sympathy for british bus companies over here just to make profits. If a taxi wants to take you to the airport for €7 whats the problem?

Just because certain operators may be conducting their business in somewhat dubious circumstances it’s no reason for the taxi drivers to break the law - which is what they are doing by soliciting for fairs at a bus stop.

Aircoach is not open to competition, thats the problem. Isn't that what the taxi drivers are doing by matching the aircoach fare? At least with a taxi there is little chance of someone walking off with your luggage which can happen with a coach load of supervalue cases.

So if in your particular industry some one comes along and takes your customers and then it is legislated that you can't offer them your service do you think that is fair? I think it's called a monopoly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Isn't this bus company operating without a licence anyway?

Aircoach is not open to competition, thats the problem. Isn't that what the taxi drivers are doing by matching the aircoach fare? At least with a taxi there is little chance of someone walking off with your luggage which can happen with a coach load of supervalue cases.

There is competition, the passengers can take the Aircoach or a taxi - simple. Only problem here (which seems to be side tracked) is the taxi drivers are not allowed to pick up fares from the bus stop.
    So if in your particular industry some one comes along and takes your customers and then it is legislated that you can't offer them your service do you think that is fair? I think it's called a monopoly

What next, taxi drivers objecting to friends and family dropping people out to the airport. Maybe the taxi industry would like an exclusion zone around the airport were they alone can only drop people in and out.

• Advertisement

Adrainne_x The Patton Flyer was refused a licence because it shared part of it's route with Aircoach (there are other threads running on this subject) but no action has been taken against Patton because it operates through a loophole in the 1932 Transport Act.

bcirl03 can I refer you back to my point that they were the taxi's passengers before aircoach arrival on the scene. So is it wrong for taxis to look for their passengers back even if they are standing at a bus stop?

Advertisement