Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers - airport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

Slightly off topic.

If I get a taxi to the airport via M50 toll what rate to taxis charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Trampas, I presume what ever is on the meter plus the toll, unless you are using one of the taxi firms that offer 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

But will they charge you €3 even if they are signed up for discounts

Trampas wrote: »
    But will they charge you €3 even if they are signed up for discounts

Ask the driver or the call center when booking. In the current climate they might not charge the toll at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

trad wrote: »
    bcirl03 can I refer you back to my point that they were the taxi's passengers before aircoach arrival on the scene. So is it wrong for taxis to look for their passengers back even if they are standing at a bus stop?

Again, picking up fares from bus stops is illegal.

People now have a choice and the taxi drivers didn’t own them, the consumer just didn’t have a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

I live in Swords and hate getting a taxi to or from the airport;the charge can be at least 20euro.Taxis hate the trip as it is too short and they moan about it.I would prefer to get Aircoach but the normal Swords bus 41 is the only option but will always get it if possible.
    Pity there isnt a a company like Aircoach that goes north direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I just spotted this thread and have some input....

A while ago the same thing happened to me at the aircoach stop on westmoreland st. I didn't want a taxi and he was getting 5 or 6 strangers into his people carrier. He gave me a bit of grief so I took down his number and reported it to the regulator who investigated the incident and fined him 500 quid for soliciting fares illegally and another 500 quid for not using his meter. I cc'd aircoach on the correspondance from the regulator and they were very appreciative.

The regulator said the guy I reported was well known for this stuff and had been investigated earlier in the year. I was chuffed with the result because he verbally abused me and my girlfriend for not hopping in his car-I dislike taxi drivers enough without having to take abuse off them. Good enough for him - maybe he'll learn his lesson. Aircoach is a great service and prícks like him just cost them money which ultimately costs me, the punter, money.

You do have a choice. get a bus or get a taxi, or cycle or walk or drive or get your brother to drop you of if you are still alive get Metro North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Both the Aircoach and taxis have had it easy in as far as Dublin airport has had no decent rail link to it and is unlikely to for quite some time.

As for Aircoach being British, it was started by a Dubliner and was bought out by First Group a public company with operations throughout the world, including the famous American Greyhound buses. I bet there are no Yanks complaining like you each time the take the Greyhound.

But in relation to the original post, I see no difficulty with taking a taxi from the stop. It will be less comfortable than the aircoach to fit everyone and their luggage into a taxi but if Aircoach leave people waiting, you snooze you lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

bcirl03 wrote: »
    How would the taxi drivers feel if the Aircoach stopped at the taxi ranks!

Typical taxi drivers, need I say more.

If he could get on them and wait till he gets to the front,then he'd be welcome...

Typical anti taxi brigade, need I say more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If he could get on them and wait till he gets to the front,then he'd be welcome...

This is nonsense and you know it. There would be absolute uproar. If you honestly think taxi drivers would be fine with this, than you are in denial.

Kirby wrote: »
    This is nonsense and you know it. There would be absolute uproar. If you honestly think taxi drivers would be fine with this, than you are in denial.

Yes it's nonsense, rather like the post from bcirl03 proposing it in the 1st place. Learn about sarcasm..

Note to MODs can we get a dedicated sarcasm smiley.....pleeeeeeeze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Queenofsheba

I didn't think so many people would be exercised by this issue when I first posted it. I don't feel terribly outraged by the taxi driver pulling in to solicit business per se, but I will reiterate that I thought he very consciously approached the girl who was obviously a tourist and I felt that when I looked like I was about to say something, the look he shot me was pretty aggressive - also, forgot to mention first-time round that when he shot back into the traffic, he didn't indicate and got beeped out of it by the (Dublin) bus that he almost hit. I'm really very glad he didn't get a fare after that display of inconsiderate driving. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

My mate was charged €85 from the airport to Ballybrack last week which works out at around €3.50 per km.
    Should he be in the pro or the anti taxi brigade?

Of course the fool didn't get a receipt or the plate number.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    My mate was charged €85 from the airport to Ballybrack last week which works out at around €3.50 per km.
    Should he be in the pro or the anti taxi brigade?

Of course the fool didn't get a receipt or the plate number.

If he paid €85 without questioning it, I would think he should be in the St. Ita's Brigade :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If he paid €85 without questioning it, I would think he should be in the St. Ita's Brigade :eek:

Tell me about it.

Struggling to find anything 'anti taxi brigade' about my comments in this thread.....

bcirl03 wrote: »
    How would the taxi drivers feel if the Aircoach stopped at the taxi ranks!

Typical taxi drivers, need I say more.

Do I realy have to explain every nuance in your own posts

Do I realy have to explain every nuance in your own posts

Go for it....

The taxi drivers are breaking the law, my comments relate to that fact alone - now how’s that being anti taxi????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

leandro wrote: »
    I was at the Aircoach stop at 4am, it was freezing and there was some other 5 people waiting for the bus, then a taxi driver with a van came up and asked if we want a ride to the airport for the same 7 euro as Aircoach, we all agreed to go with him... I don't really know if that is illegal, but anyway.
    I saw that happen on Bank Holiday Monday morning! Aircoach drove past the stop and pulled in a bit further (not sure why, but only noticed later). About 2 minutes after the coach passed, a taxi van pulled up to the stop and said "Here, you'll be waiting a while. There's no busses today - it's a Bank Holiday" (in a 'well hello, duh' tone of voice). He got 8 people for €7 each. Nice little earner. As I watched him pull off, I realised the Aircoach was pulled in a bit further up and happily jaunted to it. Despicable taxi driver.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I truly can't see why people are getting so irate.

Comments like

"Despicable taxi driver."

Even if he was charging 7 euro , ( which is against the law ) why is that despicable, it's the same price as the bus. The passengers are no worse off than on the bus , and possibly better off after all they are not waiting for a bus.

I really can't see what's wrong here ?

Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

I agree but its great to have a go at the whinging taxi drivers

Davidth88 wrote: »

Comments like

Even if he was charging 7 euro , ( which is against the law ) why is that despicable, it's the same price as the bus. The passengers are no worse off than on the bus , and possibly better off after all they are not waiting for a bus.

Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mizhell

Harpic wrote: »
    I agree but its great to have a go at the whinging taxi drivers

god your awful funny :D

get a life! immediately if not sooner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Davidth88 wrote: »

Comments like

Am I missing something ?
    Well in the case of the post with the despicable taxi driver quote the taxi driver lied to the people about the bus service to get them in the taxi bassically. If that had been me as a tourist and I wasn't sure of the bank holiday buses, I might have a return ticket for the bus, but get in the taxi to make sure I get my flight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

leandro wrote: »
    I was at the Aircoach stop at 4am, it was freezing and there was some other 5 people waiting for the bus, then a taxi driver with a van came up and asked if we want a ride to the airport for the same 7 euro as Aircoach, we all agreed to go with him... I don't really know if that is illegal, but anyway.

It's probably not, but it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

taram wrote: »
    Well in the case of the post with the despicable taxi driver quote the taxi driver lied to the people about the bus service to get them in the taxi bassically. If that had been me as a tourist and I wasn't sure of the bank holiday buses, I might have a return ticket for the bus, but get in the taxi to make sure I get my flight etc.
    That's exactly my point. Moreso the fact that the aircoach actually passed by 10 seconds previously and pulled in further up the street (for whaever reason).

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

Coming Soon and totally legal (see response from the Commission fpr taxi regulation) Maybe we'll take back some of the business taken from us by Aircoach?

screenshot218.png

Thank you for your email contact below and my apologies for the delay in replying to you. This is due to the high level of contact and correspondence with the Commission at present.

In response to your query, you may be interested to note that SPSV Regulations do not contain any provision prohibiting what you suggest below as long as you do not propose to stall (i.e. stand for hire) at Aircoach bus stops or otherwise try to engage individuals waiting at bus stops. Under SPSV Regulations, you can place this type of sticker on your car, but not on your roof sign.

I trust the above addresses your query. However, should you require any further information, please do not hesitate in contacting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

That is a very good rate €20 to the airport from Stillorgan. If someone flags you down at the Aircoach stop, will pay you the €20 and doesn't want anyone else to come in the car, will you allow that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cunnins4 wrote: »
    The regulator said the guy I reported was well known for this stuff and had been investigated earlier in the year. I was chuffed with the result because he verbally abused me and my girlfriend for not hopping in his car-I dislike taxi drivers enough without having to take abuse off them. Good enough for him - maybe he'll learn his lesson. Aircoach is a great service and prícks like him just cost them money which ultimately costs me, the punter, money.
    it really is a pity people like this cant be put off the road for one month for each offence.
    Coming Soon and totally legal (see response from the Commission fpr taxi regulation) Maybe we'll take back some of the business taken from us by Aircoach?

screenshot218.png

In response to your query, you may be interested to note that SPSV Regulations do not contain any provision prohibiting what you suggest below as long as you do not propose to stall (i.e. stand for hire) at Aircoach bus stops or otherwise try to engage individuals waiting at bus stops. Under SPSV Regulations, you can place this type of sticker on your car, but not on your roof sign.
    so you are allowed drive the route with a sign on the car/taxi but are not allowed tout for fares rather just wait for people to "hail me now" and also your sign will obviously not be so large that it might obscure your view in any way?
    That is a very good rate €20 to the airport from Stillorgan. If someone flags you down at the Aircoach stop, will pay you the €20 and doesn't want anyone else to come in the car, will you allow that?
    i assume it is for the taxi as it states for up to 4 people so €5 each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Advertisement