Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers - airport?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well, to be honest, I'd pay €20 from Stillorgan to the airport but I wouldn't want to share the taxi. Wouldn't bother phoning a cab. Just go out to the road and flag one of these guys over. But who would choose to pay the going rate for a taxi from those areas then? Essentially this will ease the way for a situation like in New York where there is a flat rate for a taxi anywhere in Dublin city. In this case €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I advise everyone reads latest from Taxi Reg.on their website.The way I read it the 9 year rule applies on renewal in 2011. All drivers must do Skills Dev. Test by 1 Jan. 2011. and the licence will last 3 years not 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

John, I don't know what you are talking about here but it definitely not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Maybe he's a new taxi driver and just got a little lost....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

Well, to be honest, I'd pay €20 from Stillorgan to the airport but I wouldn't want to share the taxi. Wouldn't bother phoning a cab. Just go out to the road and flag one of these guys over. But who would choose to pay the going rate for a taxi from those areas then? Essentially this will ease the way for a situation like in New York where there is a flat rate for a taxi anywhere in Dublin city. In this case €20.

Yeah, I hadn't really looked at it that way, it would effectively be introducing a flat fare from those areas in the Southside, to a wide expanse of the Northside including all the areas in between, hmmmmmmmmm

I guess most of those drivers heading to the Airport would be happy enough to pick up a €20 fare knowing that it would go no further than the Airport or else stop somewhere along a direct route to the Airport......needs further thought though

Discussion with some of the drivers considering this course of action suggests a €24 fare would be equal to the Aircoach and more preferable to them ........any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

John, I don't know what you are talking about here but it definitely not relevant.
    If you operate a cab or taxi I consider it relevant.Go into www.taxiregulator.ie and on the right "summary of forthcoming reforms" it will have a major impact on 1 Jan.2011 which is only 13 months away.Personally I have no problem with the issues but a lot of operators will, and no one seems to have copped it yet.I only put it into this thread to provoke a response from operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

leandro wrote: »
    In fairness, the Aircoach is a very decent service for a very decent price, in all other countries the airport transfers cost much more than 7 EUR.

Train from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam Central station or from Berlin Ostbahnhof to Schönefeld airport both cost less than half that
    trad wrote: »
    You all seem to forget they (travelling public) were the taxi drivers fares until the aircoach came and robbed them from the taxi men.?

Anyone who regards the travelling public as their exclusive property deserves to go out of business very quickly
    trad wrote: »
    Aircoach (an english company) .....british company Citylink is operating illegally trying to put an Irish operator GoBus out of business. I have no sympathy for british bus companies over here just to make profits.
    OMG those perfidious Brits (capital "B" by the way) are not content to steal our wimmen and rape our potatoes for 800 years but now they have the nerve to actually try and make a profit while competing with Oirish businesses trying to serve their property the travelling public out of the goodness of their hearts without making a cent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Train from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam Central station or from Berlin Ostbahnhof to Schönefeld airport both cost less than half that
    Dunno about berlin, but Schipol is not comparing like with like at all. A better comparison would be getting the dart to the city centre to dun laoghaire ferry. In holland it is bang in the middle of the city, so if you want to compare then you can get a dublin bus in the city centre to the airport for under €2.

If you want like with like, then find what it costs suburban dutch people to get similar quality coach service to the airport over a similar distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

rubadub wrote: »
    A better comparison would be getting the dart to the city centre to dun laoghaire ferry. In holland it is bang in the middle of the city, so if you want to compare then you can get a dublin bus in the city centre to the airport for under €2. If you want like with like, then find what it costs suburban dutch people to get similar quality coach service to the airport over a similar distance.

Er it runs from the airport (underneath it in fact so one doesnt even need to step outside) to the very centre of the capital city with a twenty minute frequency/journey time and ample onward bus/train/tram/taxi connections in equal/better comfort/convenience for less than any bus/coach less than half the price ?

But you still reckon its not a fair comparison because................

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    But you still reckon its not a fair comparison because................
    :confused: Err because...
    rubadub wrote: »
    A better comparison would be getting the dart to the city centre to dun laoghaire ferry. In holland it is bang in the middle of the city, so if you want to compare then you can get a dublin bus in the city centre to the airport for under €2.

If you want like with like, then find what it costs suburban dutch people to get similar quality coach service to the airport over a similar distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Did anyone hear the taxi drivers moan about the Aircoach on Q102 last night? Was station surfing when I came across it.

Amazing to hear what they had to say and the reasons why they were poaching passengers illegally. Very similar to the threads we have seen here, in fact at times I could have sworn they where reading off the thread like a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the taxi drivers moan about the Aircoach on Q102 last night? Was station surfing when I came across it.

Amazing to hear what they had to say and the reasons why they were poaching passengers illegally. Very similar to the threads we have seen here, in fact at times I could have sworn they where reading off the thread like a script.

I don't know why everyone hates on taxi drivers, they are working in a ****ty industry(they have set prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I don't know why everyone hates on taxi drivers, they are working in a ****ty industry(they have set prices)

Never said I hated taxi drivers.

However I dislike like people who break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Ghost

Looks like "fare" competition to me.ou no likee you no takee. Get the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

I always found it strange that the aircoach from airport to city cost 6 euro, while the bus eireann from drogheda to dublin, via the airport cost only 5 euro.

Advertisement