Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining a visa for a US citizen

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

This may be the completely wrong forum and if so i apologise

Have a question i was wondering if someone could help me with

Family friend in his 50s from the USA. Extremely well off, has travelled the world etc etc.
    Now he has decided he wants to move to Ireland, pay taxes etc
    He wants to know is it possible to get an Irish passport/citizenship?
    Now i understand people who have a working visa here have something along the lines of a 30 month wait at the minimum before this can be sorted.
    However in the US if you are an investor for example and buy a business etc
    you are given a visa. Is there something similiar for Ireland?
    To be cynical, he is filthly rich and is wondering if he buys a home/business can he get a visa?
    I know some people will be horrified by the thoughts of this so please only constructive posts please.
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

There is nothing to stop him buying a house here whether he move here or not. The whole point of a work permit is the work thing. You can do that in America too. But working here is another matter. I think in general there is a scheme where an investor can obtain a visa. You have to invest a certain amount, several hundred thousand. Indeed back in the past, invest enough money and you get a passport.

I think his first port of call is to contact the Irish embassy or the dept of that kind of thing, whatever it's called. Or an immigration lawyer. Having money always oils the wheels.

Advertisement