Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving notice but not under contract

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm very unhappy in my current job, and will likely be going down to a 3-day week before the end of the year, so I'm looking to change.

I signed a 6-month contract last November, and I've only recently realised that I've not signed a new one. Under the contract, I'm required to give 2 weeks notice if I'm leaving.

If I were offered a new job but had to start within the 2 weeks, what would happen? Could I get out of having to work the 2 weeks notice in order to start the new job, since I'm technically not under contract. I'd happily work the notice if I can, as I don't want to see my employers stuck, but if the only way I could get a new job meant I had to start sooner, what could I do?

I'd also note that under the contract, we're supposed to be paid expenses (a good bit of driving involved) and I was supposed to get a pay rise after the 6 months. Neither of which has happened. Its completely understandable about the pay rise, due to the industry I work in, but what happens with the expenses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Do you ever want a reference from your current company?
    If you do then you'll need to give and work notice.
    If you don't then just stop working after you get your last paycheck and wave them goodbye.

If you don't get a job you might want to bring it to their attention that you don't have a current contract.

Also, if you have a copy of your current contract (which you should have) review it to make sure its not a rolling contract which automatically renews every six months unless a contract which supercedes it has been signed.

You should also start submitting your expenses, as it may simply have been overlooked on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jimoc wrote: »
    Do you ever want a reference from your current company?
    If you do then you'll need to give and work notice.
    If you don't then just stop working after you get your last paycheck and wave them goodbye.

If you don't get a job you might want to bring it to their attention that you don't have a current contract.

Also, if you have a copy of your current contract (which you should have) review it to make sure its not a rolling contract which automatically renews every six months unless a contract which supercedes it has been signed.

You should also start submitting your expenses, as it may simply have been overlooked on both sides.

I don't even know if I want a reference from them. Not sure if I want to continue in this career. I may just be thinking this because I really don't like it here though.

So I would be able to just leave if I'm definitely out of contract? I don't want to leave them short, because thats unfair, but if I really have to in order to get another job, its good to know I can

Expenses aren't being overlooked. There just isn't the money for it. They've cut down on ways for us to claim expenses, and do most of the out-of-office work themselves, or doing site visits and stuff on our way home and not count it as an expense. I know I'm entitled to the expenses, but I guess so far I haven't submitted for expenses because I know they'll be paying them out of their own pocket. I know myself and two other guys I work with haven't even taken note of our expenses since April. I guess since I'm in full time employment and getting a good enough wage already, I've just been letting the expenses slide.

I'm wondering now if I should take a chance and quit within the next few weeks, and hope I get a job. I really don't want to be here by Christmas, and it'd be a lot easier getting a job before Christmas (I'm thinking of applying to places like Xtra-vision and HMV etc, as they'll be taking on Christmas staff)

Advertisement