Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus UPC modem?

• 27-10-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting chrous in today and I'm getting the 3mb broadband installed which doesnt come with the modem which will cost an extra €49, is that modem any use or should I purchase my own?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not a modem, a router. UPC provide a cable modem, but it has no built in routing features. They can sell you a wireless router (Netgear), which is perfectly fine, or you could buy your own (at about the same price). You won't get any support from UPC for a router that you buy yourself, so you're probably as well to take theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jor el wrote: »
    You won't get any support from UPC for a router that you buy yourself, so you're probably as well to take theirs.
    they most likely won't support the router they supply either, pretty sure i've seen several people on here getting sent by UPC support to netgear support for router issues in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Don't they supply an integrated router and modem nowadays from Cisco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i got the UPC installed about 6 mths ago, and i got the wireless netgear router to go with the cable modem. no sign of an integrated cisco box.

I dont regret it, its easy to use, easy to administrate and configure. Range is fine, reliability is fine.

I could have saved a few euro by going to amazon etc, but deemed it was good value because the NTL technician installed everything, and setup the wireless network on our laptop to demonstrate it was working to my wife, as i was in work. Well worth the 15 euro's you may save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

i got the UPC installed about 6 mths ago, and i got the wireless netgear router to go with the cable modem. no sign of an integrated cisco box.

I dont regret it, its easy to use, easy to administrate and configure. Range is fine, reliability is fine.

I could have saved a few euro by going to amazon etc, but deemed it was good value because the NTL technician installed everything, and setup the wireless network on our laptop to demonstrate it was working to my wife, as i was in work. Well worth the 15 euro's you may save.
    My parents got it in too back around the same time. They got the Scientific Atlanta modem and Netgear router as well. The supplying of the Cisco box is more recent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement