Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Context General Essay-How to approach

• 27-10-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

We just have to write a general essay on cultural context(what chances of this in LC:rolleyes:) Anyway we are studying:
    Il Postino
    Dancing at Lughnasa
    Lies of Silence

What would be a good opening line for a general essay on cultural context?
    Then after that you say what texts you have studied but then what, how do I layout this answer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

what year you in?! im studyn the exact same tests 4 the comparitive!got the exact same Q to do for midterm and dont know where to start!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We just have to write a general essay on cultural context(what chances of this in LC:rolleyes:)

eh, chances? 1 in 3!

defining what cultural context or what you think it is would be a good start.

A good approach is to divide it into categories e.g. poverty/wealth, role of family, religion, violence/conflict in the society and compare the three texts under these categories, thus forming a picture of the society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

how are the chances 1 in 3.....?..it comes up every year...:D

Daragh101 wrote: »
    how are the chances 1 in 3.....?..it comes up every year...:D

There are three modes, cc is one of them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

hmm i have loads of noyes on cultural context havent started lies of silence yet in class and never even heard of the other one HAHA

but yeah have you all finished lear and the comparative texts???

• Advertisement

MaggieNF wrote: »
    hmm i have loads of noyes on cultural context havent started lies of silence yet in class and never even heard of the other one HAHA

...probably because your class isn't doing it.

Your notes won't be a lot of good without the list of texts you're doing. What are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Would anyone have a good opening paragraph I could use for a cultural context essay? Any opening paragraph I've done for the CC essay is a load of crap :P The texts I'm studying are Billy Elliot, Dancing at Lughnasa & Girl with a Pearl Earring, and the question is how the characters are affected by the cultural context. Any help is really appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

billy elliot
    dancing at lughnasa
    lies of silence

well no but you could use the vasics i ahve then suit them around to your texts

but whatever it was just a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lilyos

laura93 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a good opening paragraph I could use for a cultural context essay? Any opening paragraph I've done for the CC essay is a load of crap :P The texts I'm studying are Billy Elliot, Dancing at Lughnasa & Girl with a Pearl Earring, and the question is how the characters are affected by the cultural context. Any help is really appreciated! :)

Well, whatever the statement or question is....i'd say start by saying whether u agree or disagree with this statemt....then say....in my answer i intend to focus on particular aspects of cultural context such as.....and then list the ones you will be talking about.....
    hope this helps!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

anyone doing the texts lies of silence, dancing at lughnasa and il postino, get out there and buy new english key notes, well 2011 as they are the three comparative texts done in detail with notes and sample essays for theme or issue, general V&V and cultural context, but maybe look out for new english key notes 2012, as they might be the same, but the 2011 edition has hamlet and some of the same poets anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lostmymam

And what about quotes for the comparative study... like how many?? loads of them or to be used sparingly??

Advertisement