Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Liverpool Carling Cup Wed [read mod note on 1st post]

• 27-10-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Mod note: read this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62743847&postcount=196 in full before posting on this thread, or risk infraction

Might be a tad early but so what.

A lot will depend on just how the respective managers treat this tie. Last time out Arsenal's side was composed pretty much entirely of players outside the first team squad whereas Liverpool's was more of a mixture of fringe squad players and first teamers, even including a couple of first teamers on the bench. Liverpool were a bit affected by injuries and also by the U20 WC [Gulacsi, Bouzanis and Kelly].

A fair bit of the look of the Liverpool team and bench will be affected by injuries/wanting to rest players/wanting to give players coming back from injury some game time.
    Masch is definately serving his suspenion for the sending off Sunday.
    Also Riera seems to still be out - I'm not sure of where Dossena is but I saw something last week which seemed to suggest he could be in contention. Kelly was at the U-20 WC last time out and if he is recovered from the ankle knock he picked up could also be in contention. Pachecho was supposedly in contention for the Leeds squad until he picked up a knock. He's now fit again and scored in his last two games for the reserves - stunning free kick in the last game. Aquilani played 15 mins for the reserves last week and came through it grand apparently. Can't see him starting but would be surprised if he wasnt on the bench and would expect him to make an appearance from there probably in the second half.

In terms of the first-teamers who I can't see being started I'd be surprised if Torres, Gerrard, Carra, Kuyt, Benayoun and Johnson were played.

Keeper I think is Cavalieri - don't know if it would be Reina, Gulacsi or maybe Bouzanis on the bench. Both Gulacsi and Bouzanis missed the Leeds game because they were at the U-20 WC, which was why I think Reina was on the bench for the Leeds game.I think Gulacsi is probably a better bet than Bouzanis from some recent Rafa comments and the fact that Gulacsi replaced Cavalieri on the bench when he was back in Brazil on compassionate leave. Reina probably could do with a rest after his amazing sprint Sunday.:)

LB - Aurelio, Insua, Dossena - Depending on whether they want to give Aurelio some game time and where Dossena is in his recovery. I think Insua might be due a rest. Don't think any of the reserve lads are in with a shout.

CB - I think Carra will be rested here. I think Skrtel will start with most likely Agger along side him. The Agger situation is dependent on where he is with regard to his fitness/state of his back versus giving him games to get his sharpness back. After that Kyrgiakos is probably next in line but I'm not so sure himself and Skrtel would make the best combo. Could one of Ayala or maybe even Kelly(fitness depending) be in with a shout here.

RB - I think Johnson will be rested after coming back from his injury on Sunday. If Kelly is fit I would like to see him start here, if not I expect it to be Degen. Cant see Darby making an appearance.

CM - With Masch out and Gerrard surely not going to be risked this is a bit of a tricky one. However I think Spearing is a shoe-in to start with probably Lucas his most likely partner. However I'm not confident Lucas won't be rested. Plessis might come in the reckoning as maybe could Aurelio (especially if Dossena is left back)

RW - With Kuyt most likely to be rested I think Babel could start here. Don't
    know what stage El Zhar is at with his injury - could be in with a shout too, especially if Babel is on the left.

CF - I think Benayoun and Gerrard won't be considered for here. Looks like either Pacecho or Voronin with maybe Aquilani to offer sub options

LW - If Babel isn't on the right, then he is on the left. I think maybe Aurelio might be an option here

FW - I think Ngog is a decent bet to start upfront.

My guess at what the team might look like.

Cavalieri
    Kelly Skrtel Agger Dossena
    Spearing Lucas
    Babel Voronin Aurelio
    N'gog

Liverpool and Arsenal's previous line-ups for the Carling Cup games
    Liverpool
    01 Cavalieri
    12 Aurelio
    16 Kyrgiakos
    23 Carragher
    27 Degen (Johnson 71)
    38 Dossena
    11 Riera
    20 Mascherano
    26 Spearing
    19 Babel (Skrtel 90)
    24 Ngog (Gerrard 78)
    Substitutes
    25 Reina, 02 Johnson, 37 Skrtel, 08 Gerrard, 28 Plessis, 09 Torres, 10 Voronin

Arsenal
    53 Szczesny
    06 Senderos
    18 Silvestre
    28 Gibbs
    30 Traore (Barazite 69)
    42 Gilbert
    16 Ramsey
    19 Wilshere
    35 Coquelin (Randall 58)
    51 Sunu (Vela 58)
    54 Watt
    Substitutes
    49 Shea, 34 Bartley, 37 Eastmond, 33 Barazite, 41 Frimpong, 48 Randall, 12 Vela

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Aquilani please.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Holsten wrote: »
    Aquilani please.

Ye, really looking forward to seeing him although I don't think he will start. Could see him on the bench as it most likely won't be the most physical of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

From an unofficial Liverpool Twitter account (@liverpool)

Alberto Aquilani to make his long-awaited debut against Arsenal tomorrow night.

http://twitter.com/liverpool/status/5199591527

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

My shtab at the likely Arsenal team seeing as Wenger said it'd be a bit of a mixture.

Fabianski

Gilbert/Eboue--Senderos--Silvestre--Gibbs/Traore

Ramsey---Coquelin---Nasri

Wilshere----Eduardo----Vela

Nasri might play in the front 3 with Merida in the midfield. Not entirely sure about Eduardo, good chance he'll just stick with Watt or possibly Bendtner

• Advertisement

playa3 wrote: »
    My shtab at the likely Arsenal team seeing as Wenger said it'd be a bit of a mixture.

Fabianski

Gilbert/Eboue--Senderos--Silvestre--Gibbs/Traore

Ramsey---Coquelin---Nasri

Wilshere----Eduardo----Vela

Nasri might play in the front 3 with Merida in the midfield. Not entirely sure about Eduardo, good chance he'll just stick with Watt or possibly Bendtner

Not too far off there playa3 but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start Merida. He might sub Coquelin or start him a right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can't wait for tomorrow night. Come on Arsenal.

I wouldn't think it would be a great idea for Liverpool to play Aquilani against Arsenal. He is short of match fitness and Arsenal are definitely one of the best conditioned teams in the league. He will be run ragged and might pick up another knock. Don't think he'll start in the Fulham or Lyon games either, possibly Birmingham on Nov 9 for him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5655312,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd Imagine we'll go 4-4-2 like we did in the last CC game

Fabianski

Gilbert
    Senderos----Silvestre
    Gibbs

Eboue
    Coquelin
    Ramsey
    Nasri/Merida

Bendtner
    Eduardo

Although Nasri is as easily interchangeable at CM.

According to the website Bendtner and Eduardo are both likely to start. Would have preferred for Vela and Watt to continue up front.

Wilshere and Traore are out through injury

Frisbee wrote: »
    Wilshere and Traore are out through injury

:mad:

Hope Vela still gets a start with Bendtner and Eduardo both playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Cav, Degen, Skrtel, Kyriakos, Dossena, Eccleston, Spearing, Plesis, Babel, Voronin and Ngog

word on the street is thats the pool team, is that 4 2 3 1 or 442?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kyriakos is out for months, he won't start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Kyriakos is out for months, he won't start!

nope, Benitez said: "Dossena has been training and will be in the squad. It was one or two small things with him.

"Kyrgiakos has been training. We had bad news when everyone was talking about him being out for six months after the internationals. It wasn't that bad because now he's training and he's available too."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Cav, Degen, Skrtel, Kyriakos, Dossena, Eccleston, Spearing, Plesis, Babel, Voronin and Ngog

word on the street is thats the pool team, is that 4 2 3 1 or 442?

if thats the team it's most likely set up the 4231 style

cavaliera
    Degen Skrtel Krigger Doss
    Spearing Plessis
    Eccleston Voronin Babel
    Ngog

but saying that I would be shocked to see that side out.

According to Wilshere on Facebook(:pac:) the Arsenal team will be

Fabianski

Gilbert--- Senderos
    Silvestre ----Gibbs

Ramsey ---- Coquelin
    Nasri

Bendtner ---- Eduardo
    Vela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Senderos still at Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mayordenis wrote: »
    if thats the team it's most likely set up the 4231 style

cavaliera
    Degen Skrtel Krigger Doss
    Spearing Plessis
    Eccleston Voronin Babel
    Ngog

but saying that I would be shocked to see that side out.

I would be very surprised to see Ecclestone playing because he has done nothing in the reserves to deserve a chance ahead of either Pacheco or Amoo who have been our best players this season.
    Kelly for Degen hopefully as well. I'd also rather see Ayala at CB

Edit: Damn, Kelly's still injured

RasTa wrote: »
    Senderos still at Arsenal?

Yep, his contract runs out at the end of the season though and i don't know if he'll be getting a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Masch, Gerrard, Riera, and Kelly definately not going to feature tomorrow.
    Dossena and Kyrgiakos may feature.
    Would be well surprised to see either Johnson or Torres start - might be on the bench.
    GERRARD INJURY LATEST FROM MELWOOD
    Jimmy Rice 27 October 2009

Rafa Benitez is hopeful of having Steven Gerrard back for Saturday's trip to Fulham.

The skipper won't feature against Arsenal on Wednesday night due to a groin injury sustained on international duty.

But Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Gerrard will not be available for this game but he is improving, so hopefully he can be ready for Saturday."

Martin Kelly (ankle) and Albert Riera (hamstring) are also out and will not be available for one or two weeks.

There is better news for Benitez in that both Andrea Dossena and Sotirios Kyrgiakos could feature in the Carling Cup fourth round clash after recovering from knocks.

Benitez added: "Dossena has been training and will be in the squad. It was one or two small things with him.

"Kyrgiakos has been training. We had bad news when everyone was talking about him being out for six months after the internationals. It wasn't that bad because now he's training and he's available too."

Meanwhile, both Glen Johnson and Fernando Torres came through Sunday's victory over Manchester United without troubling previous injuries.

Benitez said: "It was difficult for both especially because it was a tough game, but they were training and we were taking care of them.

"Now they are training and I think they'll be available for the next games."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166235091027-1413.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

shame about kelly :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It'll be a shame if Merida doesn't start. Too bad that Wilshere is out too. Those two are amongst my favourite young players at the club; I love the style of football the CC team produces when they're in the side. Vela-Bendtner-Eduardo has a lot less creativity as a front trio, so Nasri and Ramsey will have to play very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

It'll be a shame if Merida doesn't start. Too bad that Wilshere is out too. Those two are amongst my favourite young players at the club; I love the style of football the CC team produces when they're in the side. Vela-Bendtner-Eduardo has a lot less creativity as a front trio, so Nasri and Ramsey will have to play very well.

agreed however it definitely has a goalscoring edge about it. any chance and eddie or vela will take. looking forward to this very much.

arsenal 2-1.

anyone know if it on telly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Kirnsy wrote: »
    agreed however it definitely has a goalscoring edge about it. any chance and eddie or vela will take. looking forward to this very much.

arsenal 2-1.

anyone know if it on telly?

Yep. It's on Sky Sports 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Yep. It's on Sky Sports 1.

sound. stream it is so :)

Arsenal squad for tonight below.
    No confirmed word on Liverpool side of things yet.
    Arsenal name 18-man squad for Liverpool clash

Arsenal Football Club have announced the following squad for the Carling Cup tie with Liverpool this evening at Emirates Stadium:

Wojciech Szczesny
    Lukasz Fabianski
    Philippe Senderos
    Kyle Bartley
    Mikael Silvestre
    Kieran Gibbs
    Kerrea Gilbert
    Fran Merida
    Francis Coquelin
    Craig Eastmond
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Aaron Ramsey
    Mark Randall
    Samir Nasri
    Eduardo
    Gilles Sunu
    Nicklas Bendtner
    Sanchez Watt

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-name-18-man-squad-for-liverpool-clash

Can't wait for this one, strangely. I think we'll get a right schooling, but I'm hoping we get to see Aquilani and some of the youngsters.

Feck sake Vela isn't even in the squad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3203881,00.html

Aquilani will at least make the bench (only link I could find right now, but read it elsewhere earlier).
    ..Italian arrived injured with a knee problem...

FFS SSN. Laughable that they cannot even get his injury correct. (especially considering its been well publicised).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

It'll be a shame if Merida doesn't start.
    I'd be very surprised if he doesn't - he had a very good U-20 World Cup and I think he'll be given the chance. Plus Wenger was quoted on the official site praising him which I'd reckon would mean he'll start.
    Nasri and Ramsey will have to play very well.
    Whatever about Nasri (only just back), I'd expect Ramsey to play very well tonight (as he has done in his limited gametime so far) and keep pushing for more first-team action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Looking forward to this :D.

• Advertisement

3-1 Gunners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Any Pool fans hoping the Pool will make a dignified exit from this competition?

We have too many injuries at the moment to be risking the rest of our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

yayamark wrote: »

We have too many injuries at the moment to be risking the rest of our squad.

Nope It will give the younger/fringe players a chance to get some games and prove themselves.

Hope to see Aquilani play some part and Pacheco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yayamark wrote: »

not really bothered either way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not really bothered either way tbh.

Odd attitude to have. At the end of the day it is silverware up for grabs, better than nothing come the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Id definitely like us to progress as it gives the younger players a chance to impress, and keeps fringe players happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I want us to go through, because i want to see Pacheco for instance, in the next round (on international duty atm). It's great for the younger players.
    Hopefully Ecclestone does well tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I think Rafa has already said that he wants to win the League Cup, obviously I don't know whether he meant it or not, but still, it's a trophy and we haven't had one of them in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I want us to win this trophy but if we get knocked out, I won't spend too much time in mourning. Really hope that Pacheco and Aquilani put in an appearance tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Link to a perfect stream i just posted in the match thread i think this will go 2-1 pool ;)

Cavalieri, Degen, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Dossena, Eccleston, Spearing, Plessis, Babel, Voronin, Ngog

Exactly the same as whoever posted it yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Babel on the left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Is Aquilani on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Subs: Reina, Aquilani, Benayoun, Darby, Dossena, Eccleston, Ayala.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

Just after getting this form liverpoolfc.tv

Liverpool: Cavalieri, Degen, Insua, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Plessis, Spearing, Babel, Kuyt, Voronin, Ngog. Subs: Reina, Aquilani, Benayoun, Darby, Dossena, Eccleston, Ayala.

KUYT THE SKIPPER V ARSENAL: LISTEN LIVE
    Paul Hassall at the Emirates 28 October 2009

Dirk Kuyt skippers the side as Rafael Benitez makes nine changes for tonight's Carling Cup clash with Arsenal - listen live from 7.15pm GMT.
    Alberto Aquilani remains on course to make his debut and will take his place among the substitutes.

Liverpool: Cavalieri, Degen, Insua, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Plessis, Spearing, Babel, Kuyt, Voronin, Ngog. Subs: Reina, Aquilani, Benayoun, Darby, Dossena, Eccleston, Ayala.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166247091028-1856.htm

Presume the formation is this

Cavalieri
    ----Degen----Skrtel
    Kyrgiakos--Insua---
    Plessis
    Spearing
    ----Kuyt
    Voronin
    Babel

Ngog

Pachecho is away at some underage thing with Spain apparently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fabianski

----Gilbert----Silvestre
    Senderos--Gibbs---

----Nasri----Ramsey----Eastmond---Merida

Bendtner----Eduardo

Surprised Reina and Benayoun are on the bench.

Thought Gulacsi or Bouzanis would be on the subs bench.

Don't know if playing Kuyt is the wisest as we're not in a great situation on the RW if he picks up a knock.

So basically
    Gerrard,Torres, Johnson, Agger, Carra, Lucas(rested)
    Masch (suspension)
    Kelly and Riera (injured)

Anyone know what the situation with El Zhar is currently?

Redzer7 wrote: »

Fabianski

----Gilbert----Silvestre
    Senderos--Gibbs---

----Nasri----Ramsey----Eastmond---Merida

Bendtner----Eduardo

Very surprised Coquelin isn't starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Liverpools line up has a lot more first team experience (correct me if im wrong Arsenal fans) I think they could shade it.

Fabianski

----Gilbert----Silvestre
    Senderos--Gibbs---

Ramsey
    Eastmond---Nasri

Bendtner----Eduardo
    Merida

Apparently we are going to go 4-3-3...

• Advertisement
Advertisement