Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Liverpool Carling Cup Wed [read mod note on 1st post]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dear Lord what a sublime ball from Aquilani, if he stays fit he will be huge for Pool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aqua man as you call him probably should have been out earlier. Making a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

nice ball from the new alonso,voronin actually playing pretty well,ryan babel should be sacked-he is too frustrating to watch!

come on ecclestone,goal on your debut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ah ffs, lino cant be making a mistake like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kuyt has been disgraceful tonight. not a captains performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

really like, what was the point in the ref telling the keeper to go back if he was going to blow it up as soon as he kicked it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Gowan ye good thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Was he playing?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

currythis wrote: »
    ryan babel should be sacked
    Surely he deserves a chance? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Good result. Once again though we were under severe pressure in the last 15 minutes that we didn't need to be as we could have had the tie dead and buried by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rafa had a touch of the ball, fair play to him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

The Muppet wrote: »
    Was he playing?;)

Did well with a lot of his defending to be fair.. nothing much goin forward though..
    Veronin has the reactions of a dead cat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Think we've a good player there in Aquaman ;)

Suprised to see him playing tbh. Aqua looks promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Congrats to Arsenal. The better team on the night and deserved their win. Frustrating second half to watch from a Liverpool fan's perspective. I hope someone puts some cyanide in Voronins drink at half time.:mad:

Doesn't feel that much like a loss to be honest, maybe because of the positives we've seen from Aquaman finally making his debut, and some of the younger players getting a chance.

On a more negative note: Voronin ... please GTFO.

Loved the passing by Arsenal - Pool had their moments and a few great chances. Aqua looks like a very promising player and may make a difference when fighting relegation the league :)

Good game, not an easy win by any means imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Good game and can't really begrudge Arsenal the win, it really is amazing the amount of talent they continue to get out of the academy.

Aquaman's cameo was very promising, and he capped off his performance with a genuine penalty shout. All the same, I think Arsenal deserved it, there was too many headless chickens in our team tonight. ;) I think Babel has had his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Decent match, played at some pace though in fairness.

On the Liverpool players:

Babel - donkey. Seriously, wtf is he doing at Liverpool? The round white thing Ryan - kick it.
    Voronin - Anonymous mostly, but really started to play well the last 15-20 mins, winning tackels, playing good balls etc
    Kuyt - brutal.
    Plessis - WAY out of his depth, don't see him at the club for much longer, and not the first time I've though that about him.
    Degen - looked good going forward, decent at the back. Must have had a turbo charger installed, I dont recall him being that quick before.
    Spearing - solid enough performance from the young lad.
    Cavalieri - did ok, for what he had to do. Couldn't do anything about the goals.
    Insua - decent game, still not the full package though. Took his goal well.
    N'Gog - played decently, looked dangerous, but was living on scraps.
    Aquilani - Finally. Played pretty well for the 20 mins or so he was on. 1 great pass down the right wing, 2 shots, one of them spectacular (overhead). Looked lively, but didn't look like he's gonna tackle much. Good feet, good passer of the ball.

Thats all I can think of talking about at the mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Doesn't feel that much like a loss to be honest, maybe because of the positives we've seen from Aquaman finally making his debut, and some of the younger players getting a chance.

On a more negative note: Voronin ... please GTFO.

what positives?

3 attemped passes.

one went out for a throw

one went for a goal kick

i dont know where the other one went.

5 loses from 6 all confidence built up after beating united vanished by being outplayed by in expirienced kids when liverpool put out a realtivley strong squad.

I wish I had the ability to see such positivity

• Advertisement

Anyone know who got MotM?

Nasri or Gibbs would be my shout

Decent match, played at some pace though in fairness.

On the Liverpool players:

Babel - donkey. Seriously, wtf is he doing at Liverpool? The round white thing Ryan - kick it.
    Voronin - Anonymous mostly, but really started to play well the last 15-20 mins, winning tackels, playing good balls etc
    Kuyt - brutal.
    Plessis - WAY out of his depth, don't see him at the club for much longer, and not the first time I've though that about him.
    Degen - looked good going forward, decent at the back. Must have had a turbo charger installed, I dont recall him being that quick before.
    Spearing - solid enough performance from the young lad.
    Cavalieri - did ok, for what he had to do. Couldn't do anything about the goals.
    Insua - decent game, still not the full package though. Took his goal well.
    N'Gog - played decently, looked dangerous, but was living on scraps.

Thats all I can think of talking about at the mo!

IMO dude that should be the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thought Nasri was excellent tonight. It'll be great to have him back. Bendtner took his goal well, similar to the way Torres lashed his goal in on Sunday.

Very entertaining spectacle with some great goals. Not a bad evenings viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Good game. Well done to Arsenal. Im very frustrated with Voronin. He was very poor tonight. He lost the ball for the first goal and stood giving out to Plessis. He should be shown the door.

Great to see Aqualani get 15 mins he had a great crossfield ball and possibly a penalty shout. We need him now.

ntlbell wrote: »
    5 loses from 6 all confidence built up after beating united vanished by being outplayed by in expirienced kids when liverpool put out a realtivley strong squad.

Tbf Arsenal had out Nasri, Bendtner, Eduardo, Senderos, Gibbs who has Champions League experience and a fair few first team games under his belt this year and last, as well as Silvestre, the most experienced player on the pitch.

LZ5by5 wrote: »

No way. Spearing played as he usually does - nothing spectacular, does a job. Plessis looked like he constantly needed more time on the ball. Didn't look comfortable at all.

what positives?

3 attemped passes.

one went out for a throw

one went for a goal kick

I wish I had the ability to see such positivity

Lol good job not reading the whole sentence.

"positives we've seen from Aquaman finally making his debut"

5 loses from 6 all confidence built up after beating united vanished

I doubt that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thought Liverpool played well enough considering the team they put out. Arsenal were fantastic - some seriously impressive football played at times which any team in Europe would be proud of.

Aquilani looked sharp for the 15 minutes he was on, couple of very nice passes and great overhead attempt. Cant wait to see more of him.
    what positives?

3 attemped passes.

one went out for a throw

one went for a goal kick

ty

Incorrect, I can think of 3 successful passes off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Frisbee wrote: »
    Anyone know who got MotM?

Nasri or Gibbs would be my shout

Ramsey gorrit. He played well but I personally woulda gone for Nasri probably.

Twas a good match, liverpool unlucky with the handball but I still think the Arsenal boys edged it. Hopefully Vela and Wilshere will be about for the next round.

No way. Spearing played as he usually does - nothing spectacular, does a job. Plessis looked like he constantly needed more time on the ball. Didn't look comfortable at all.
    The both worked their socks off in the centre, both did quite well IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Caught this game tonight, I wanted to say that Arsenal play beautiful football and it really is a pleasure to watch them attack. Liverpool were not without their moments in fairness. Quality of all three goals was fantastic, Bendtners in particular.

I thought Spearing was given the runaround by Ramsey and Eastmond. He looked wrecked after about 20 minutes. He took way too many wayward shots as well. On the other hand I felt Plessis put in a few good tackles and with a better midfielder alongside him, he could have bossed that midfield.

I thought Spearing was given the runaround by Ramsey and Eastmond. He looked wrecked after about 20 minutes. He took way too many wayward shots as well. On the other hand I felt Plessis put in a few good tackles and with a better midfielder alongside him, he could have bossed that midfield.

In fairness, I wouldn't feel comfortable with either of them in the centre of the 1st team. But there was just something about Plessis that really doesn't sit well with me. Just looked off the pace (apart from a few tackles here and there).

Arsenal played well, some good young players coming up through the ranks. Sanchez Watt is a Live?rpool supporter - I wonder if we could get him, to eh, 'ask for a transfer'? lol I think he's a very promising striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i thought skrtel was brutal tonight. gettin out muscled by eduardo?? seriously???
    spearing and plessis were inpressive at times but were outnumbered in the middle.
    kuyt wasnt at the races at all.
    babel reminds me of baros without the hairband.
    voronin showed some good touches late on but for the majority of the game he was a complete disaster.
    so far so good for aquaman

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    Bodes well for the pool with 3/4 of their first team playing !..not. They are brutal to watch.

Missing was

• Carragher
    • Agger
    • Johnson
    • Gerrard
    • Benayoun (for the most part)
    • Mascherano
    • Torres
    Don't know where you did maths mate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

BERBA wrote: »
    Bodes well for the pool with 3/4 of their first team playing !..not. They are brutal to watch.

wtf are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

At least Voronin in glimpses looks like he has some attributes that could be associated with a footballer when compared to Babel. Babel was shocking bad, he can only turn one way (right) and for all his complaining about being played out of position (or not being played I wonder why?) he is hopeless. Let him stick to his Dutch rap/hip-hop, no doubt that is pure sh*te as well. Have Liverpool even had any bids for him? I'd take a couple million for him, he will never amount to anything resembling a decent footballer. At least with Voronin you have someone who will attempt to link play although at times his decision making is shocking (as was Kuyt's tonight). Thought Plessis was miles ahead of Spearing, at least he was getting the ball and while most of his passes were sideways or backwards I thought he was better than Spearing. Arsenal do have some top young lads.

Thought Degen was a big attacking threat tonight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Pretty good game, Eastmond looks to be a right tough nut.

Was glad to see Gibbs bringing the ball into the corner on 89 minutes, Showed a bit of maturity.

I'm definately with LZ5by5 on this one.

Spearing for the majority i thought was completely anonymous in effect. Very visible cause of the amount of running around he did, but most of it was utterly pointless. Had 5minute spells every so often when he looked really good, then would go kinda missing again. Definately has some ability, but i think a lot of the positivity he gets comes down to him being local, and theres nothing wrong with that, i just think ultimately he's not going to make it even as backup.

Plessis, needing time on the ball? Couldn't disagree more tbh, the best thing about him is that even under pressure he has a knack of a nice languid appearance as he receives, rolls away with the ball and plays a simple pass.

Christ Degen is fast. If he could do something at the end of his burst of pace we might be onto something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bendtner frustrating again tonight I thought. He just makes some terrible decisions on the ball, although the goal showed how good a player he can be for us when it goes right.

I was thouroughly impressed by Gilbert, Easton and Gibbs once again. I like the way they have fantastic touch and technique, yet aren't afraid to do the dirty work and get stuck in. In comparison, i was a wee bit disappointed by Merida. Very talented and creative individual, but he needs to add more of an engine to his game if he is to progress. And Ramsey was class, Fabregas mark II. Senderos and Silvestre looked surprisingly solid too.

On the Liverpool side of things, I'm beginning to like the look of N'Gog more and more. Didn't have much to work with tonight, but he can be a real handful. Spearing was a disappointment i thought. Insua and Degan were much better than i can remember though. Let down by the experienced front men most of all though, Voronin and Kuyt, while they both worked hard, were really below par on the ball. And you'd hardly know Babel was on the pitch. If they had better front men it would have been a completely different result.

Overall, a deserved win by the Gooners and a much more entertaining game i thought than Sunday's.

Seriously, I don't know why you guys are so supportive of Plessis, I seriously didn't see anything that you guys saw from him. Ah well. :confused:

Denis - they're just sore after Sunday, hence they have no input on the game really at all, just want to slag off 'Pool players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I swear to Jesus if people don't cop themselves on pretty quick there will be slaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mayordenis wrote: »
    This is made up,
    Convenient you "know" where the first 2 went and no the 3rd, convenient that you for some reason only counted 3 aswell.

nm. tbh.

i cant be bothered

nm. tbh.

i cant be bothered

Really?

Any chance next time you can't be bothered you stay out of the thread altogether?

In the meantime I am banning you from this thread, if you post on it again I will issue you with a forum ban.

To the rest of you:

Cop yourselves the fúck on.

My patience is wearing very thin with the posters who frequent this forum, when in God's name is it going to sink in that you do not engage users in debate when you believe they are here to wind you up?

REPORT THE POSTS!

Only for I happen to be online right now to tidy this up before it went too far a good many of you would be receiving infractions and bans.

I will not be warning anyone again, continue as you are and there'll be a few more of you joining the disgruntled in Feedback

Thread reopened, heed my post above.

Continue to be impressed by the amazing talent Arsenal are producing, and that young lad they bought - Ramsey - is some talent. Add that to the likes of Merida, Watt and Randall, Wilshere and Vela who were missing and many more that'd make a fantastic team alone.

if not address the points.
    On the comments made about Aquilani's debut, and apparant lack of quality...

if we look at it from the perspective of this being a guy playing his first properly competitive minutes of football since against arsenal in the champions league last year, you have to temper your expectations.

I thought tonight was massively positive, not, as you say for all his "misplaced passes" but for his vision. I have no problem with a guy taking a small while to get back into the groove of making difficult passes under pressure, once he's seeing them. The first one was inch perfect and was made when Degen was 30meters from the position he received it. THAT is incredible vision and execution. It wasn't just a nice crossfield ball, it was measuring the speed and angle of the run and crossing at a suitable speed and angle to meet the man.

The one that went out for a throw was overhit, but again was great vision to spot the possibility of the run, and tbh a taller man then Voro might have made something of it.

And then the one that went out for the corner. The only problem with playing an intelligent ball so early, is the other person has to be on the same page. Babel made a run, but where Aqui assumed Babel would run into the vast quantity of space on the left side of goal, Babel instead ran into the area which had cover in it on the right side of goal. Better reading and awareness from Babel and he would have been clean through.

So all in all, from his 3 main long passes, 1 had perfect execution and perfect teammate run, 1 had mediocre execution and good teammate run and 1 had perfect execution and poor teammate run.

2 thumbs up from me for 15minutes of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TBH I'm not remotely bothered about the result, only that Aquilani came through in one piece. I didn't see any of the game (might tape the highlights later) so how did he do bearing everything in mind?

edit thanks Rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Delighted with result tonight some great passing from Arsenal, a joy to watch, Liverpool played their part in the match,very enjoyable match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement