Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile pay-as-u-go to work from Meath & Kerry?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

My mom has to receive out patient treatment in Cork hospital for a number of weeks. I have broadband at home, but to be able to help her out I need to get one of those pay-as-u-go mobile broadband options that you can just plug into your laptop. I guess the question I'm struggling with is which company meets my needs best which, in order are, reliability and price.

It needs to work in Killarney (my Mom's home) and it would be good if I had coverage in Cork (don't know how long she will be in the hospital each day). And my own house is in South Central Meath, so I guess it has to work around that area when I get home.

Any help simplifying the options here would be greatly appreciated, especially as I need to make a rush decision.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll only know which company is best in the area you want it by actually testing it yourself,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Use of mobile phone equipment in hospitals is sometimes restricted, so you'd first want to check if it'll even be allowed. Next, check for what 3G networks are available at each location, and what the signal strength is. You can do this with any phone by searching for networks.

Only Three and Meteor currently offer PAYG midband, O2 and Vodafone don't do it yet. Meteor have no 3G coverage in Meath or Kerry, and patchy coverage in Cork, though they are expanding. Three's service varies wildly, as does their actual coverage.

Vodafone and O2 have are the best options, though only on contract. Vodafone's contract is 12 months, and gives a free modem and costs 20 euro a month. O2's recent decision to censor the Internet leaves me not recommending them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rav_dsl

Good to know - thanks. I'm with Vodafone already (for phone) so should probably give them a call.

Well test out 3G network connectivity when down there and will buy it down there too.

Advertisement