Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I frickin hate ultra moves

• 27-10-2009 2:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

They are lame get outta jail free cards and they can completely reverse a one sided match. I wish there was an option to fight with them disabled

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You need to learn to alter your play style when your opponent gets Ultra charged. if you're better than the other guy, trick him into Ultra-ing at a bad time and punish!

Many people feel the same actually, it's a catch up mechanism, but it does allow newer players a fighting chance against the old skewlers. Good side and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I like ultras as a catch-up mechanism. It's another thing you need to watch out for during the match. For example as Ryu against Chun, you have be careful with random fireballs if Chun has ultra.

IMO There is very few ultras that will utterly change the course of a match and the ones that do are quite hard to land (Akuma, Blanka, Zangief)

For me the main problem with ultras is the disparity between them. For example Sagats ultra has loads of setup and will hit for full ultra every time.
    Chuns ultra is good for setups but will hit for feck all damage unless you time and space it just right. Then you have a character like Guile who just can't hit his ultra at all and even when he does it does no damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lazlo wrote: »
    they can completely reverse a one sided match.

That's the point tbh. Would you want the match to be one sided? Ultra's are just another aspect of the game you have to account for.

When your opponent has it, bait them to use it, then block it and punish. That being said some of them will nearly always land due to being able to combo into them (I really do hate Balrogs Ultra set up :() but damage scaling fairly nerfs most of them.

Although, I would like to see the building of Ultra meter limited only to focus absorbs. I really don't see the need for the meter to build from merely getting hit. It should be something the player needs to work to unlock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do like the ultra system. As a ryu player it really changes the match up during a game and adds a lot of variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

lazlo wrote: »
    They are lame get outta jail free cards and they can completely reverse a one sided match. I wish there was an option to fight with them disabled

Sounds like you play a character who doesn't have a very useful ultra! (guile, vega?!)

Otherwise, try to use yours to your advantage more often. Then you might like them more! It goes without saying that I love me some ultra :pac:

• Advertisement

lazlo, which character do you use?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Although, I would like to see the building of Ultra meter limited only to focus absorbs. I really don't see the need for the meter to build from merely getting hit. It should be something the player needs to work to unlock.

While it's an interesting idea, I don't agree with it. I think it make fireballs pretty much unused as you wouldn't want to give your oppenent ultra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

HMUYA wrote: »
    While it's an interesting idea, I don't agree with it. I think it make fireballs pretty much unused as you wouldn't want to give your oppenent ultra.

No it wouldn't. It gives people Ultra now and fireballs are still used, if anything the way it is used now gives most characters at least 2 Ultras per round if used wisely. It just takes the freebie aspect away from it. Plus using focus absorb would still cause your health to have to recharge, meaning you wouldn't be able to just keep using it or run the risk of a single jab eating up all your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

animaX wrote: »
    Sounds like you play a character who doesn't have a very useful ultra! (guile, vega?!)

Otherwise, try to use yours to your advantage more often. Then you might like them more! It goes without saying that I love me some ultra :pac:

I think Guile's and Vega's ultras are quite good actually. Both are brilliant anti air moves and if timed right (Guile), you get all hits. In my opinion, Vega's is brilliant because you just need the other guy to jump and he's screwed.

In terms of execution, I found out a decent way of pulling them off :). Charge DB, QCB, UF+Kx3. It works every time. I think there is a chance that I might be doing it a clockwise 270 degree motion starting from forward.

And as Vega once said:

"Handsome fighters never lose battles." :D

On the note of ultras, I don't think they're a bad idea. Like L31mr0d said, you just have to adjust your game when your opponent has it. True, for certain characters (Ryu, Sagat, Ken, Balrog and Bison) have ridiculously easy setups which I think Capcom need to revise but you just have to watch your step so to speak. Don't jump in, keep a close eye on their EX meter (minimum of 2 bars for Ryu/Ken/Sagat = Cr. MK, SRK/TU, FADC, Ultra). Balrog doesn't need EX meter ofcourse.

Another thing to be wary of is never go in for a throw or a combo after a knockdown because regardless of timing the throw or combo, you will always take the ultra right in the face.

I say keep ultras but just take away some setups.

Fireballs are still used because they are not the main way to gain ultra and thus zoning is still viable. I was wrong saying that fireballs would go away but I still think there would be a reduction in the use of the fireballs.

Anothere issue would be that a character with a good distance armour breaker and no fireball (Blanka, Honda) would become a lot more powerful.

If anything I would go the opposite direction and remove the ultra gain from the focus absorb. But then I think the system is pretty much alright as is except for the problems I mentioned earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

HMUYA wrote: »
    Anothere issue would be that a character with a good distance armour breaker and no fireball (Blanka, Honda) would become a lot more powerful.

If anything I would go the opposite direction and remove the ultra gain from the focus absorb.

I'm failing to see your point :D

Blanka ball FTW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I play Bison so I can tele away from ultras a lot of the time. Its just that there are certain chars like sagat or ryu who have ultras that are piss easy to land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

On the other hand in Super they have the potential to really improve the situation.

As has been discussed there are certain characters who can set up an ultra with just about anything Ryu, Sagat and Rufus spring to mind. Then there are characters whose Ultra's are really powerful but really hard to link into anything, Blanka & Honda.

So a serious amount of balancing could be done here, the easily linked Ultra's could be made weaker and the difficult obviously stronger. This could be further balanced with the suggestions above where Focus builds one meter and hits build the other.

All that and nerf Sagat to the ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Sagat06 wrote: »

Down with that sort of thing! Careful now....

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

If Sagat gets nerfed you'll have nothing to tease animaX with!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He'll make like a rat and jump ship to the next top tier character! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I think charge chars get of a raw deal in this dept too given that two quarter circles followed by a button is much quicker to execute than creating a charge, doing a double axis rock and then hitting a button.

Getting rid of the charge and leaving the move as a double axis rock followed by a button would balance the ultras somewhat

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I actually think that's a good idea, But it's not too much hastle to hold your charge while you get ready to link into ultra. That said the big man has virtually no ultra setups other than focus>ultra.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He'll make like a rat and jump ship to the next top tier character! :)
    But isn't that your character? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Relikk

IMO the Ultra meter should take longer to build, and should be limited to one per round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only thing I hate about Ultras right now is that it's done with 3 buttons.

Make it 2 buttons.

And maybe do a 3rd Strike system, where even charge characters have QCF, QCF Supers.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The only thing I hate about Ultras right now is that it's done with 3 buttons.

Make it 2 buttons.

And maybe do a 3rd Strike system, where even charge characters have QCF, QCF Supers.

They'd have to alter the input for the EX system if it was two buttons, unless you had two specific keys for each system, like LP+MP for EX and MP+HP for Ultra. I think 3 buttons is fine, though.

Agreed about the simplified 3rd Strike QCFx2 style. I hate trying to link into charge character Super's.

Nah, I'm just ragging on Ultra inputs because of my bad execution.
    I've checked it in training mode; I will, 50% of the time, press D, D/F, F, D, D/F, F+PP~F+PPP.
    So I get random Supers when I want Ultra. It really sucks.

But that's just me.

Also, EX & Ultra wouldn't overlap, as EX requires just one directional input (QCF) whereas Ultra requires 2 (QCF, QCF).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also, EX & Ultra wouldn't overlap, as EX requires just one directional input (QCF) whereas Ultra requires 2 (QCF, QCF).

Of course, but what with dropped inputs in the online environment sometimes it doesn't matter what you have to do. As you alluded to above, 90% of the time my execution is fine for Ultra's but online, especially after an FADC an EX comes out instead.

I have no real problems with the Ultra system other than it's unbalanced slightly.

In fact I can often trick people into doing extremely stupid things with their Ultra and nail them thanks to it.

If I can say that, none of you have any grounds to complain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Sagat06 wrote: »

So a serious amount of balancing could be done here, the easily linked Ultra's could be made weaker and the difficult obviously stronger. This could be further balanced with the suggestions above where Focus builds one meter and hits build the other.

This was already done in SF4 though, it takes ryu 21 jabs to get his ultra, blanka 17. Also blanka's ultra is the most powerful ultra in the game when at full meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

If I could make one change to the ultra system it would be this - make it K-groove from CVS2. In other words, you have a time limit for executing the ultra - you can't just sit on it for the rest of the round.

Also, get rid of charge supers and ultras - Remy was able to do his SAs with two quarter circles, so why can't Guile?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It also has absolutely NO setups whatsoever.
    You say that like it's a bad thing! :D
    Yreval wrote: »
    If I could make one change to the ultra system it would be this - make it K-groove from CVS2. In other words, you have a time limit for executing the ultra - you can't just sit on it for the rest of the round.

Also, get rid of charge supers and ultras - Remy was able to do his SAs with two quarter circles, so why can't Guile?
    I like this idea. Unfortunately, it'll never get implemented.

And it's quite obvious Capcom had a little hateorade for Guile in SFIV :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It links from cr. forward doesn't it?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    In addition I can't understand the hate towards charge Ultras/Supers, Boxer's isn't that bad and in all fairness

Fixed that there for you. :)

Seriously to catch someone mid air with Guiles you have to have 2 second charge and hit it well before the apex of the jump. This means to anyone with half a brain you've telegraphed it by a mile.

The only possible link really workable in game is cmp - Super- Ultra which is never really going to happen because Guile needs the EX booms and flash.

• Advertisement

Not buying it Ropedrink. When you've had someone back dash out of a focus attack and have time to block after you Ultra, come back to me :)

Advertisement