Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I frickin hate ultra moves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Honda's Ultra has uses.
    • Punishes wake-up FBs/bad meaties.
    • Anti-air.
    • Using hop Ultra to bait FBs & other attacks.

Guile's Ultra... not so much.
    IMHO it probably wouldn't be so bad if it had HD's input (charge D/B, d, d/f, f, u/f + K)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hop ultra?

Yeah, I know to use it as anti air and on wake up (love catching people with those) it has it's uses, but for a guy who also mains ryu, it's a huge jump link wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Honda can Ultra Cammy's EX c.strike.

Just FYI

:(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

*takes out notepad*

Honda... Ultra... EX.C.strike... FYI...

Got it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Honda's Ultra has uses.
    • Anti-air.

Honda's ultra has like 60 frames startup it's probably the worst AA option he has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jim wrote: »
    Honda can Ultra Cammy's EX c.strike.

Just FYI

:(

I think I did that to you at Gaelcon.
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Honda's ultra has like 60 frames startup it's probably the worst AA option he has

Hondas Ultra is definitely best used as an anti-air. Still not as good as an EX Headbutt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Capcom already appear to be killing off charge characters, we don't need to suggest that people don't want charge super/ultras.

Guiles ultra being dirt hasn't got much to do it being a charge move. If it was QCFx2 it would still be a bad ultra.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Just for the sake of it.

Nyom nyom Ultra Super nyom.
    What's this?
    Azza REPPING SAGAT?

TIER WHORE!! TIER WHOOOORE!!!!!1
    :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Mostly because Azza knows how to play my Boxer like a puppet as far as his Bison is concerned) - Used Sagat three times, probably just for a laugh. If I remember right he threw in some Ryu too.

After all the abuse levelled at me, behind my back he's doin this. Azza, I hope you can sleep at night :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

animaX wrote: »
    After all the abuse levelled at me, behind my back he's doin this. Azza, I hope you can sleep at night :pac:

Azza does this UNTIL you beat him. Then he gets all serious and busts out the Dic.

Tator

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I remember the session quite well (and I'll assume it was one of the sessions 'AFTER' a previous one where I used to cry about how being beaten 10-0 was boring and had a little nerd rage session and quit - Mostly because Azza knows how to play my Boxer like a puppet as far as his Bison is concerned) - Used Sagat three times, probably just for a laugh. If I remember right he threw in some Ryu and Gen, too.

It was nice because anytime I see his Bison I just automatically accept there there is only a 0.1% chance I'd have the patience to even come close to being able to win (a round) ;)

Thats more along the lines of what I was trying to put forward earlier - Ultras being charge based have little to no impact in difference when you compare it to the ease of QCF Ultras - The problem is more to do with the setups. Balrog doesn't have the problem because he has quite a lot of setup options and all of which give PLENTY of charge time to execute - Compare that to Honda or Guile and therein lies the problem - There's limited ways in which to put them to use, to the point where it wouldn't matter if you could use an Ultra by tapping a single button, it wouldn't help all that much at all.

Just to point out we actually agree. I accept if I am playing a charge character I have to be- pardon the unintentional insult- "cleverer" than qc characters as I move round the screen. Thats the pay off for an immediate recover projectile and an anti air which creates a huge glowing barrier between you and the enemy.

What I don't think is acceptable is that when I have the 2 second charge and somone jumps and I react with all the speed I can muster I might maybe land some damage.

Been playing a bit of Rufus lately (never again Bush!!!) to learn how to fight him and all you have to do in a few cases is land a jumping hk. His Ultra's fast enough to land.

That aint justice in my language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Been playing a bit of Rufus lately (never again Bush!!!)

I think I might retire Rufus from tournament play, he let me down in the final :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Ultras ****ing suck.

Been there done that my friend. Dont really want to thread old ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

bush wrote: »
    I think I might retire Rufus from tournament play, he let me down in the final :pac:

Shoulda picked chun! :P

& ropedrink I'm not surprised you love the ultras, your boxer goes for them every single round :p

I don't hate ultras, but I do think they happen too often, they should remove the option for that weaker one and it should only be allowed happen when the bar is TOTALLY full.

I also dislike how they take away from supers as I just love supers, the super canceling the way they can come off after a KO etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I also dislike how they take away from supers as I just love supers, the super canceling the way they can come off after a KO etc etc etc.

That's something I forgot to mention in my post - there's not enough emphasis on supers in SF4. They should only require 3 EX bars instead of 4, so you can cancel an EX move to super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Am i the only one that thinks the Ultra's are brutal?

You get rewarded for being beaten, nothing worse than beating some one for the whole round with out taking a hit when all a sudden he catchs you with an ultra and half your enery is gone!

It reminds me of MK V's DC rage mode which was horrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ultras can only be performed at certain situations,
    after FADC or some ex attack, theyre not easy to pull off, dont make mistakes that land you into an ultra.

mistake = punish
    always street fighters case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Then learn how to avoid being caught with an ultra. A blocked ultra will do feck all damage so if you know the opposing characters ultra set ups then just avoid being set up into an ultra. I like them since they can change how the second half of a match is played. For example I'm a ryu player so against chun when she gets ultra you have to stop your fireball game.

What I don't like is characters that have no set ups or poor ones for their ultras and these need to be changed in super street fighter 4.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Then learn how to avoid being caught with an ultra. A blocked ultra will do feck all damage so if you know the opposing characters ultra set ups then just avoid being set up into an ultra.

For 4 characters off the top of my head this means "do not get hit by a crouching jab" against a good player. :pac:

edit:

Placebo, that's just not true for some characters.

Ryu: Traded DP, AA jab DP, jumping MP juggle, deep j. RH
    Sagat: Traded DP, f. RH
    Rufus: AA j. RH, target combo (which combos from divekick and is easy as **** to link), f. HP in corner, MP/HP Tornado in corner (midscreen for some characters I think?)

Those are all very easy and very viable ways to land ultra, I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious ones.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ryu can combo ultra from super as well.

You can to an extent reduce the risk of getting hit by and ultra is you know the match ups really well. Its as simple as this don't jump at Ryu or Sagat when they have meter which is an incredible hard urge to resist. Learn to fadc through fireballs agains the shoto's (hard against Sagat). Yes they can still land FADC ultra and other set ups but your making life harder for them.

But even still it doesn't change the fact that some characters have much more practical ultra's than others.

Placebo wrote: »
    ultras can only be performed at certain situations,
    after FADC or some ex attack, theyre not easy to pull off, dont make mistakes that land you into an ultra.

mistake = punish
    always street fighters case.

bollox they are. nearly all the top tier characters have at least one easy way into ultra that isn't Focus crumple or fadc. Sagat Ryu and Rufus have several alone.

Even Balrog has the relatively easy ex headbutt or the trickier armour cancel

Bear in mind, I wouldn't like ultras even if/when they balance them up and every character has a somewhat useful one in Super. I don't like its fundamentals as a mechanic.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah FADC into ultra is not hard. I don't mind ultra's but at the same time its rather unfair that some are more practical than others. Be nice if they could have some characters depend on them and other have better normals which even out rather than just have every character dependent on ultra. Tricky to balance though.

watch the videos from Rathfarnam rampage and watch the amount of whiffed/missed ultras, its strict timing for alot of it.
    I was making a point that theyre not as easy as supers, its hardly a MK into ultra now....

Rufus: cr.LP, EX Messiah, FADC Ultra.
    Ryu: cr. jab. cr. jab, DP, FADC, Ultra
    Sagat: cr. short, cr. short, cr. short, DP, FADC, Ultra
    Balrog: Cr. jab/short, headbutt, ultra

edit: nice edit Placebo :pac: (for those wondering it used to say LK instead of MK in his post hence that reply)

lol sorry i meant to say MK, not LK :s
    easiest ultra is possibly MK, ex TATSU into ultra with ryu, but that has to be in the corner, theres always some dependency.

cr. MK, EX Hado ultra either, or cr. MP, headbutt ultra with Balrog if MPs are allowed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Solution:

Stop playing as crap characters like Bison and embrace the cheesey top tierness of Ryu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Don't forget c.mk xx super taunt xx ultra for dan :D

Advertisement