Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iMac any good for gaming???

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Dunno if this is the right place for this topic or whether it's been discussed before but.......
    I've been saving recently for a new laptop/PC/Mac as my own laptop is ancient at this stage. I've managed to put away about 1200 Euros. I'm an avid console gamer but have never delved into the world of PC gaming as I could never afford it but seeing as for once I've a few quid put away I was going to splash out!
    After much discussion I'd kind of decided on the new iMac. Looks good, nice OS and the specs seem pretty good (1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, 256MB graphics-upgrading to 512MB). But I've been told that the iMac (and Macs in general) are no good for gaming (even if running Boot Camp or the like). Any takers with better knowledge than myself??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what you've been told is bull**** with regards to bootcamp.

running windows through bootcamp makes the imac preform just like a pc specced with the same components.

they are nicely specced machines imo, although if you are just going for gaming i can't help think you'll be better off building your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm a big Mac fan, but they are not by any stretch gaming machines. Some developers - EA for example, with Sims 3 and Spore - support Mac, but they are very much the exception. There tends to be good availability of smaller independent games - World of Goo, PopCap's output etc... are all available - but gaming on Mac is more miss than hit. Boot Camp will run some stuff (as you say, not always well I hear, have yet to install Windows myself) but if you are buying a computer for primarily gaming, do not buy a Mac. Plenty of uses, but gaming is not a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Trevor O

I really like the iMac anyway. The interface, applications. Everything about it is really nice. But if I couldn't run the games on it i don't think I'd bother. In what way would I be better off building my own?

I'd be looking to play games such as Crysis and such which, as far as I know, are pretty hardware/software intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Trevor O wrote: »
    I really like the iMac anyway. The interface, applications. Everything about it is really nice. But if I couldn't run the games on it i don't think I'd bother. In what way would I be better off building my own?

I'd be looking to play games such as Crysis and such which, as far as I know, are pretty hardware/software intensive.

You'd be better off in that you can get the components fairly inexpensively from somewhere like komplett.ie and put it together yourself. you'd also have the option of upgrading individual components at a later date, which you wouldn't have with the imac.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh if you're looking to play crysis, just build yourself.

that sort of rubbish shouldn't be played on a mac :pac:

• Advertisement

You'd be better off in that you can get the components fairly inexpensively from somewhere like komplett.ie and put it together yourself. you'd also have the option of upgrading individual components at a later date, which you wouldn't have with the imac.

I see. As I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to PC assembly, where would I even start?

Is there some kind of beginners guide as to how to build a PC step by step??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I see. As I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to PC assembly, where would I even start?

Komplett.ie had a build it yourself guide actually - link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This link is pretty good for beginners:

http://www.pcityourself.com/index.php

Also, ask for specification recommendations from the guys in this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Games are only released for mac's as an afterthought.So like said above go for a normal pc and build it yourself!!Not as hard as you think and anything you learn will stand to you as you can swap out bits yourself..

Lab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

You would be best off posting your question in the Building & Updrading section. They'll be able to tell you what you can get for your money.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

EDIT: oops L31mr0d beat me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Rumour has it that if you really want to run OSX, there are ways of getting it on a PC, alongside Windows....
    Or so I hear...
    >_>
    <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Indeed, but getting the proper drivers for the hardware on your system can either be a nightmare or a breeze. Took them long enough to release the 4870/48xx drivers.. I nearly eat my own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

I havent had any trouble running any of my games on my mac, including Empire total war, company of heroes, sins of a solar empire, bloodbowl all true bootcamp & graphics up the top end :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

It has a 256mb graphics card. You can forget Crysis..

If you don't wanna build your own machine, you can buy the parts from www.hardwareversand.de and they will build it for an additional.. €20 isn't it? More details in the building and upgrading forum.

I'm kind of liking the idea of building now to be honest! Gonna take a while to pick out everything though!

Advertisement