Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Room Keys

Options
  • 27-10-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Moved into an appartment a month ago. No major issues with the place and we are very happy with it.

We never recieved any room keys (bedrooms, bathroom) in our pack and im wondering do we or the landlord have to pay for replacements?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

your bathroom shouldn't have any keys - it should be a thumbturn mechanism. As for the other keys - I'm not sure - others will probably answer that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

are you sure about this????
    mrgaa1 wrote: »
    your bathroom shouldn't have any keys - it should be a thumbturn mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In general, if it's something that will be of no use to you in a future apartment, it should be the landlord's job to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe the landlord just doesn't have the keys? He doesn't have to supply keys for internal doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should be able to pick up cheap locks in any hardware shop.

The best locks for bathrooms and the like are those that can, in an emergency, be opened from the outside. Bathrooms are dangerous places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭nickyjellybaby

can I just tell you from a safety point of view, I advise landlords to remove all internal keys because of fire hazards, although bathrooms should be 'thumb turn' or have a latch/lock on the inside not a key
    Should a fire break out and you've locked your bedroom door then how would you get out if say the key fell on the floor... Its not a position I would want to be in if I were a landlord or agent that let that property
    If you're worried other tenants will go into your room you can buy a wireless room alarm they have in student accommodation, it just sits over the door and uses a sensor... it'd soon tell you if you have intruders coming in while you aren't there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bathrooms should not have latches/locks on the inside- they should be capable of being opened from the outside. More accidents/incidents requiring medical (or other) intervention occur in the bathroom than in any other room in a house- including the kitchen (number 2 location).

Advertisement