Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence query - rented apartment

Options
  • 27-10-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hey guys got a letter from the tv license company this morning, notifying me that our rented apartment is not covered by a tv license.
    The apartment is fully furnished & a tv was provided when we moved in,
    i would presume that its down to the landlord to pay this? or would the occupier by liable?

any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My understanding is that it's up to the person using the TV (the resident) to buy the TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Paulw wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's up to the person using the TV (the resident) to buy the TV license.

What he said. Always up to the resident to pay the licence. Correct me if I'm wrong but the letter would have been addressed to the resident, and not to the named owner. So it's up to you I'm afraid.

Otherwise ask your landlord to remove the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

If you give the TV back to your landlord, you'll no longer be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

To not be liable, you must not have any TV in apartment, at all.

Even if you have a 20 year old TV in one of bedrooms, plugged out etc you must pay license...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mrziggy

Yes the tenant (the person using the tv) must pay. Even if you live in an area where there is no possibility of getting any reception whatsoever, you must still pay for the license if you own a tv set. A court case years ago decided on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

What everyone above said...

Apparently in the UK if the TV doesn't have any channels tuned in and isn't connected to an aerial you don't need to pay a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

fasty wrote: »
    Apparently in the UK if the TV doesn't have any channels tuned in and isn't connected to an aerial you don't need to pay a license.

We're not in the UK, so that doesn't apply.

If you have a TV, you need a TV license. End of.

Advertisement