Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free Products in your area

Options
  • 27-10-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I live in wicklow town and am a diagnosed ceoliac. I find it hard to find a good range of gluten free products round here. The supermarkets, tesco and super valu stock limited gliten free ranges, and with a growing demand for these products is hard to get anything round here.

If anybody else knows the wicklow town are do they feel that there is poor availibility of gluten free products/retailers in the area? is there somewhere i should try that i dont know about?

Are all areas of the country like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Dunnes in Galway and Ennis do the Livewell range and it is pretty good, their chocolate chip cookies are savage!!! Most Dunnes I have been in, even the small ones, have some of the stuff, but the bigger ones so all the stuff:

- Chocolate Cake - have yet to try but its look good
    - Chocolate Chip Cookies - amazing
    - Multiseed Rolls - very tasty
    - Chocolate Muffin - dry but very tasty still
    - Naan Bread - tasty for gluten free

They are all gluten and dairy free!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭totoal

Heard good things about Genius Gluten free bread.
    Should be available at your local tescos.

http://www.geniusglutenfree.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Livwell stuff I've had is awful. I just avoid all GF breads here OP, they've all been terrible. It takes a while to get used to not having bread but once you do you don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

totoal wrote: »

That is the other bread I was going to recommend but I couldn't remember what it was called, IMO it is very tasty and not at all like any other gluten free bread, its tasty toasted:)

The livewell breads are not great, the rolls are half decent but all the cakes are pretty good!!!

If you can bake, its fairly easy to bake gluten free desserts!! But if breadk is your thing you will miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

totoal wrote: »

I get that in my local dunnes.

I have no problem getting gluten free stuff. I don't know about Wicklow, but health food shops are always good. Tesco is great, Dunnes, SuperValu and Superquinn are okay too.
    Hope you find some nice things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

What are you missing?

The only gluten free things I buy are bread, rolls and pasta. Occasionally biscuits but mainly don't bother.

For bread I use the juvela fibre or white for toasting. I like the juvela white and fibre rolls for lunch or the livwell ciabatta or the tesco ciabatta.

For pasta I like the tesco own brand fusilli ( not the penne) and for spaghetti I like bunalun.

Bakers delight jaffa cakes aren't too bad.

Other than the above I don't really find I need to buy too much. Most of the above I buy at Tesco or my local supervalue. You could always ask your local supermarket to start stocking the stuff you want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sorry this is a bit of an old thread but there is a health food store in Wicklow town on Church St that should supply an excellent stock of gluten-free food.

http://www.truvo.ie/places/health-healing-other-wicklow-locations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kirstlaing

Try Tesco, Dunnes and Health Food Shops and I know that Superquinn will be having a new range of delicious cakes out shortly as I met the chef (at a market) who will be supplying them (all with a new special separate kitchen). His cakes are so great you would not even know that they are gluten free. I live in Limerick and the place is not great for shopping either, in fact Ireland has the highest number of coeliacs in the country yet the UK cater better (the food can even be given on prescription, which is a minimal charge).
    Anyway another thing I found is www.ecodirect.ie, this is a totally GF shop in dublin but they can deliver anywhere in the country. I buy in bulk as it is fiver delivery charge so it makes sense to get all the coeliacs you know together and knock yourself out when ordering.
    GOODLUCK with the quest
    Kirsteen:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I think gluten free breads and all that are such crap, they are so incredibly processed. The real answer is to start looking at ways to change your diet so it doesn't revolve around eating processed cereals in general, not spending your life (and money) living on overly priced unhealthy frakenfoods. Grand as an odd treat but really it makes a lot more sense to accept that cereals in general aren't all they're cracked up to be and move on to real unprocessed and healthy foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah the processed stuff isawful, including M&Ss but Fallon & byrne do a good gluten free bread as long as it's eaten in moderation. I generally buy one every three weeks. Bread feels weird in your stomach after a while without it - sign it's not supposed to be there I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement