Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant: Bottled Gas Galway = €31.85..... Bottled Gas Spain €12.50

Options
  • 27-10-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Man I am so fed up this country.......

I'm just back from picking up a bottle of Gas (refill) from Topaz near the Huntsman Inn in Galway... I just payed €31.85 for it..... a few months ago they cost around €28. I love to know how they have increased in price over the last few months even though Gas prices are dropping and there is a deflationary deperssion on! Is it just Topaz?? (I'm aware that Topaz are robbing ba$tards - driving around the country they are generally the most expensive for unleaded).

What really sickens me is the fact that elsewhere in Europe bottled Gas is so much cheaper.... A few weeks ago I was on holidays in Spain and had to get a gas bottle refill. I drove to the nearest petrol station and the refill cost €12.50. How the fcuk is there such a difference?? The same product is almost 3 times cheaper in Spain.... perhaps the wasters in City Hall and Dail Eireann can answer that for me (The next FF counciler that calls to my door better have half an hour to spare before I ask them to get off my property).

Obviously I'm not going back to Topaz.... where do you people get your bottles of Gas?
    Is it cheaper from a Fuel supplier?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

<Awaits the inevitable shoehorning of Belmullet into this>

I'd also like to complain that the price of wind dried puffin is far cheaper in downtown Reykjavik that it is in town. I'm absolutely sicked that for various economic reasons beyond my ken, the price of goods varies across the world. From now on, I'll be buying all my puffin on the internets, as I suggest you do so with your gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

That's gas....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Robbo wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sicked that for various economic reasons beyond my ken, the price of goods varies across the world. From now on, I'll be buying all my puffin on the internets, as I suggest you do so with your gas.

Helpful post :p

Gas is an internationally traded commodity therefore prices should be, more or less, the same across the EU. €12 versus €32 = someone is being ripped off!
    If you can't see that then there no hope for you. Perhaps you'd rather the people of this country to continue to put up with the bad governance & general rip off culture??

I won't even mention that up in Mayo there is a lot of the stuff that is been given away for nothing to Shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

pencil wrote: »
    Perhaps you'd rather the people of this country to continue to put up with the bad governance & general rip off culture??

Scan, to be fair you just added to it by buying a barrel of gas in topaz of all places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Gas is expensive here alright. But i really noticed a difference when i switched to the large bottles, they cost about 75 euro but i got one last March and its still going (it supplies the 4 ring hob only)

my mother uses the standard bottle on the 4 ring hob and lasts feic all time.

on top of this, may i suggest you getting one of those 3 tier cooking pots, you can boil the spuds in the bottom pot, and two lots of veg in other two. you will only use one ring then and your veg will be steam cooked instead of boiled ... much nicer and saves on the gas too.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Scan, to be fair you just added to it by buying a barrel of gas in topaz of all places

True, but where does one get bottled Gas at a reasonable price??

alibabba wrote: »
    Gas is expensive here alright. But i really noticed a difference when i switched to the large bottles, they cost about 75 euro but i got one last March and its still going (it supplies the 4 ring hob only)
    my mother uses the standard bottle on the 4 ring hob and lasts feic all time.

We get about 8-9 months out of one, 5 ring gas hob, used every day.
    on top of this, may i suggest you getting one of those 3 tier cooking pots, you can boil the spuds in the bottom pot, and two lots of veg in other two. you will only use one ring then and your veg will be steam cooked instead of boiled ... much nicer and saves on the gas too.

Have one, a 'steamer', herself uses it all the time, supposedly a healthier way to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

pencil wrote: »
    We get about 8-9 months out of one, 5 ring gas hob, used every day.

Have one, a 'steamer', herself uses it all the time, supposedly a healthier way to cook.

JAsus you'd benefit indeed so upgrading to the larger bottles. A bit of a hit at the start i know

http://www.sei.ie/ ... Understanding_Electricity_and_Gas_Prices/Electricity_and_Gas_Prices_-_semester_2_2008_ANNEX.pdf
    http://www.sei.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/EPSSU_Publications/Understanding_Electricity_and_Gas_Prices/Understanding_Electricity_and_Gas_Prices_in_Ireland_-_semester_2_2008.pdf
    According to the second link on a Purchasing Power Parity basis Ireland is a bit better than average.

Bear in mind when you buy a barrel of gas you aren't just paying for the gas inside but the rent on the garage, the wages of the person who sold it to you, the lorry drivers wages, the delivery lorry, the ship that brought it to Ireland, the insurance costs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Tigh Neils in Inverin still do them for 28e, sounds like a bit of a drive for you to save 3euro though!

In other news, wages & no doubt many other costs are much less in Spain than they are here. Does that cover the full difference? Probably not, we stll like a bit of the old gouging here. But it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

LOL

And my landlord/letting agent tried to retain 100 euro for a gas can (hooked up to a fireplace that never worked, possibly because it was empty when we moved in?)

Chancers everywhere. (Got the full deposit back including the 100 euro but not without some sternly worded letters)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

ollie Dooley coal shantalla €28.50 i do believe, cheapest in galway, selling gas is waste of time apparently, very little profit, i got 2 barrels of propane for 158 last friday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's the minimum wage in Spain?

We've had enough of the rip off... this was the final straw. We have organised the loan of a van and are going to finally take Mary Harney's advice to shop around for better value.... we're going shopping in the North every 3/4 weeks from now on.

Compare to the rest of Europe, there is not one facet of life that we are not over charged for in this country.

We'll be back spending our money in this economy again when the powers that be put an end to the 'systematic price gouging' that goes on here!

€624 per month - somewhere around €4 per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

So we've double their minimum wage and triple their price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

It's the same with the wine. Even the "cheap" one as we describe it that costs €10 in Tesco can be easily bought for €3,50 in Portugal, not mentioning several other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Breaking news:
    Goods cost differing prices across the eu!

Options
    1. Move to Portugal/Spain.
    2. Change from bottled gas.
    3. Start a thread on the internet about it. Thats the most effective one.

Some stuff about Spain:
    http://www.euroresidentes.com/Blogs/2008/10/average-wage-in-spain.html
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article6164629.ece

Obviously it has lots of positives as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gmcatering

I was today eno petrol statin in salthill, he want €35.00 for a refill of a bottle. Is this normal???
    A week ago I paid €31.00 and on the world market the gas price dop down always.

How stupid are we custumer that we always pay what there want? I was not buying any gas today...not with me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Healthiest way to do things aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Zombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement