Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick referencing Q

Options
  • 27-10-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I'm on what I hope is the final rewrite of my thesis and going blind/insane. My supervisor said he didn't know the answer to this (uh oh) so would appreciate any help:

1. Where a footnote mentions two works, i.e. Bloggs, J., xxxxx, cited Anderson, B., Pickabookname...etc....in the reference list at the end of the text do I reference both works or the latter one where I took the information from? (i.e. the only mention J Bloggs and his article get are in the footnote itself)

I have a million more questions but I won't bore you all. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

I would just put in the latter one that the info came from. I think that would be acting on good faith as well as being what you actually read. Only the most anal of reviewers would pull you up on it. Anyone that takes referencing too seriously (i.e. cares more about format more than crediting original authors) has missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Just put in the latter. As 2scoops says, the reviewer would have to be incredibly anal to pull you up on it. Additionally, there's no need to stick in extra references just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thank you folks. Not sure what you were referring to with sticking in references for the sake of it but all mine are relevant....
    :)

Advertisement