Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Park/Mount Anville - Underground Tunnels?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I remember being told as a kid about two underground tunnels in the Mount Merrion area.

The first one was supposed to be under Deer Park linking Mount Anville and the old[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Mount Merrion House (which is now part of the Community Centre - http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Fitzwilliam/mt.main.block.html).

And the other underground tunnel allegedly linked Mount Anville and the Goat Grill (or maybe it was the old nuns house on the Lower Kilmacud Rd. which Pristine Dry Cleaners is now connected to it - http://www.ratemyarea.com/places/pristine-dry-cleaners-13495)

So, does anyone know if it's just local legend or is there any truth in the stories?

[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Huge thread on Underground tunnels etc here. Might be something useful somewhere in it.

Another thread we had here recently was this one (no mention of anything around the Mount Merrion area I'm afraid).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

I never heard of any tunnels connecting mount anville to mount merrion but i did hear about tunnels running from mount merrion house to deerpark. If you know deerpark tennis club located at the top deerpark then you may know the raised area behind it, beside the two extra tennis courts. This seems to be man made and it consists of a pile of several rocks. apparently a water storage tank was located there and water ran from it down to the house. I think these pipes ran underground so im not sure about a tunnel as such. There were also undergroud areas used for refridgerating in the area. Maybe someone else has more accurate knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

2can wrote: »
    I never heard of any tunnels connecting mount anville to mount merrion but i did hear about tunnels running from mount merrion house to deerpark. If you know deerpark tennis club located at the top deerpark then you may know the raised area behind it, beside the two extra tennis courts. This seems to be man made and it consists of a pile of several rocks. apparently a water storage tank was located there and water ran from it down to the house. I think these pipes ran underground so im not sure about a tunnel as such. There were also undergroud areas used for refridgerating in the area. Maybe someone else has more accurate knowledge.

Thanks for that.

I've heard that Deer Park/Tennis Club reference before.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Found another reference to the urban legend:

"There is reputed to have been an old mass tunnel (hiding and escape route for priests) in the Deer Park at Mount Merrion."

http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Fitzwilliam/booterstown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

I go to school in the area and I've heard a few things along the lines of there being a few underground tunnels. Dunno if its true! Heard of a few things like that around the mosque/convent/farm area down the road too. We spent alot of time exploring these places when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I lived in a large Victorian ? house on an 80-acre farm in Cuskinny, Cobh, Co. Cork 1963-1966. It had a tunnel just outside the back door which led all the way from the house on the hill down through the farmland to the front entrance at the seashore. I called there recently and found no sign of the entrance or exit. I suppose it's now just another tunnel whose location is lost to posterity - although I know where the entrance/exit is.

Advertisement