Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange heating timer issue

• 27-10-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Hope someone can guide me here. I have a strange issue with my oil heating timer/system.

Out of nowhere the following symptoms have started;

Regardless of the position of the switch (off,on,timed), the heating will stay on.
    Sometimes the trip switch that the timer is connected to (downstairs sockets) will trip.
    I replaced the timer and the same issue occurs.
    If I disconnect the red wire, which powers the clock, the heating will stop automatically coming on, ok the clock is dead. I can then control the heating using off/on. But, sometimes the trip switch will be tripped again.

We have an external oil boiler which has a water thermostat. The timer is inside the house (just to clarify).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be?
    I should probably call an electrician, but if someone has pointers, I can check them out.

Thanks in advance
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Duplicated post - apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ba$tard wrote: »

If I disconnect the red wire, which powers the clock, the heating will stop automatically coming on, ok the clock is dead. I can then control the heating using off/on.

That's odd. On most systems, disconnecting the power to the clock will shut down the whole system. Some systems may allow a manual override of the zone valves which will allow it to operate manually.

The live usually runs from the time clock/programmer to the thermostat and then either back to the boiler or to a zone valve at which point it may or may not be relayed via a switch in the valve.

It might be an idea to provide the make/model of the boiler and the timer - more information may help diagnosis. Any other details of your system setup might help - number of zones, thermostats, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Found the issue(s)

1) the frost stat was sitting in water!
    The air vent was leaking water, the valve to the pump - was yes, leaking water. CHECK YOUR BOILER - this is a very very common problem with the design of those vents and valves only recently.

2) Dad wired the timer wrong - the Positive for the boiler was wried to amins not switches positive :-)

Thanks!

Advertisement