Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tommy tub

Options
  • 27-10-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

does anyone here have one of these and would you recommend it for a newborn baby (its kinda like a bucket you put the baby into for bathing him/her) I would like to know if anyone whose used one thinks.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I had my 2nd lad the local hospital used the plastic rectangular basins you fit in your kitchen sink and they were ideal.

I haven't used the tommy tub but reckon the plastic basin is a much cheaper option and does basically the same thing.

deisemum wrote: »
    When I had my 2nd lad the local hospital used the plastic rectangular basins you fit in your kitchen sink and they were ideal.

I haven't used the tommy tub but reckon the plastic basin is a much cheaper option and does basically the same thing.

They're not the same thing at all. The tommy tubs are designed to support your baby and make bathing much easier.

I didn't use one but kept meaning to buy one! I think I would definitely get one for next baby (if!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

deisemum wrote: »

The Tummy Tub is quite different - http://www.tummytub.ie/
    If usiing a square basin, you'd have to have the baby in a semi reclining position, and they would not be fully covered by the water.
    The Tummy Tub on teh other hand has the baby upright, and you fill it quite high with water when the baby is still small, so that their shoulders are covered and kept warm.
    If bathing in the sink, the parent is standing up and bent over, whereas with the Tummy Tub, you can sit on a chair/stool and position the tub between your legs and it's much easier on the back.

I didn't actually have one myself - we bathed the babies in the sink for the first couple of week, and then in the bath - but my brother and his wife had one and they loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

They look a bit weird! I can see the benefits for colicky babies though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

From my research I've found that people are saying that a bucket does the same job without the same pricetag! You'd probably have to sand away the plastic flash from the bucket moulding process though.

Newborns love the Tummy Tub apparently as it's similar to the womb enviornment and the water stays warm for longer. It's only useful for a few months though so personally I decided against it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have one and have been using it for the last six months. The wee man likes it, but has yet to tell about his love for it ;)

After using the baby bucket er, tommy tub, I wouldn't stick junior into an auld Woodies finest kitchen bucket. It's curved at the base to let him sit comfortably in it, has no sides or corners and he can be spun around easily to wash front and back. There is a line inside to where you fill the water (easily felt, but hard to see) and we bought the stand that goes with it to give extra height to save our backs and we store bath toys in the stand. It also doubles as a pedestal for him to stand on at the the sink when he's older. I can see him using it for a year at least, there's loads of room (a newborn could do lengths!).

Yes, it is ridiculously expensive, I felt like a total prat handing over the money to pay the price tag and I would definitely recommend you try to source it online.

I would be careful about over filling it and you have to keep a close eye on junior as it's easy for him to sink a bit far, but usually he just makes a dive for the sponge and goes face first into it :eek:

So yeah, I recommend it, we're happy with it, it looks strong enough and so should last, but the price tag is a real pi$$ take. It was his mum's choice, so I went out and bought a tripp trapp high chair in revenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

They're not the same thing at all. The tommy tubs are designed to support your baby and make bathing much easier.

how hard is it to actually bathe a baby! We use a small portable baby bath and as long as you know how to hold a baby in a bath with one hand (and use the other to sponge) it's not that hard.

I saw these tubs in the shop (along with lots of other over-priced products) and thought it was fairly useless really, unless you enjoy paying above the odds for a bucket!

how hard is it to actually bathe a baby! We use a small portable baby bath and as long as you know how to hold a baby in a bath with one hand (and use the other to sponge) it's not that hard.

Alot of new mums actually find it quite difficult to bathe baby.

I had regular baby baths for all of my children, on my second and third I had those mesh bath support things which I found to be great and then once they were able to sit up themselves I had a seat for the bath which meant they could sit unaided.

Re the actual product. You saw it in a shop but you've never used it so while it may have appeared useless to you, I'm sure there are many people who have actually used it would disagree. There may also be lots who agree with you. But at least they've tried the product before branding it useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

we had one, our guy loved it. would recommend it to anyone. will last up till eight or nine months, at which point they're only covered up to their knees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Alib2009

was gifted one and to be honest it was too much of a plaver to get said child in it. He did not look comfortable and was not a happy camper the fact it would have to be up at a height - new baby mammys have sore backs ! made me nervous.

I was lucky and had the use of a Bevi Changing station solid with built in bath which i found easier to use. After two months i simply got in bath with him on top of me and held him in the water with hubby on side if i felt uneasy.

Bathing new babies for first time mums is a very nerve wrecking thing and if any device gives you a sense of calm and comfort then it is worth the money - calm happy mum makes calm happy baby!.

If you would like one - which i think was used twice pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hijk

Hi, if you're happy to pay the money, i would recommend it. have used it for both of mine...and use the other part as a step for the sink still. The main attraction for me was that it the babies were kept lovely and warm up to there chest, compared to the usual baby baths and seemed to be more soothed by the position they were in, that's my experience anyway.

Advertisement