Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Day 72

Wed 6/1

Texted the 2 guys from earlier in the week re going for an evening run and BB was available but Kevin7 was actually out on a run at the time so I'll have to organise it better in future.

Did 7.85M in 66:50 min with avg pace 8:31/mile and avg HR 147.

Its well lit around my area so we ended up doing a loop there even though I intended going to BB's as he's always coming to me. We'll head out his way when it gets brighter. Part of the loop brought us away from the streetlights and that was a huge NO NO. Couldn't see the ground when cars approached so very risky especially re icy patchs and had to turn back and tweek the route. I'd run it in the morning usually and it'd be bright enough by the time I'd get to that stretch but won't be doing that again in the dark evenings. I was a bit tired from yesterdays efforts and BB had only run once since Xmas Day and was just getting back into it so 8:30ish pace was spot on for both of us. Hoping to do a long run together on Sat morning, just need to arrange time. I was quite tired after and even managed to get to bed at a decent time which has helped the recovery. I feel a bit stiff so going to have to get around to that stretching session soon.

Its still very cold. It was zero deg on the run last night and -5 C on the way in this morning. Glad I had Aldi's finest thermal sports vest, base layers, hat and gloves. Spent over €100 there a few months ago on running and cycling gear and wondered then if I was wasting my money, but boy am I glad I have it now!

My tri clubs swim sessions was supposed to start tonight and I was really looking forward to it but its been put back a week so I'll try to go on my own later.

Day 73 -74

Thurs 7/1 - Fri 8/1

Thurs - Did a lunchtime swim, concentrating on alternate breathing technique. Started off doing 25m lengths with 15-20min breaks in between. Got into a rhythm then of watching the clock and taking 30 secs for the length with 30 sec breaks. Was tough going as timing of alt breath was off and was gasping by the end of the length. I'm going to stick with it as it was improving and its the way to go for better speed in the long run compared to my 2 stroke cycle. Finished the set on a 50m in 1 min with major gasping even though I wasn't 'sprinting'. Form very sloppy too but has to be done to get breathing right first. Total 750m. Water pipes into home froze so it worked out as a handy place to shower too without using up our attic tank supply :D.

Fri - Did a lunchtime tempo run. 5.41M, 42:03mins, avg pace 7:47, avg HR 154 bpm. Did a 5 min easy run and then 30mins aiming at Zone 3 pace (155bpm) with 7 min easy run to finish. The easy run section was about 8min/M pace and the Z3 section started out as 7:30min/M pace and drifted up to 7:45ish. My HR was drifting up from 155-158 so I eased back to keep it in the Zone rather than pushing it to maintain a pace. Nice challanging run. Its very cold out (-6 this am) so I layered up nicely and went a nice flat route from town out the Condell Road and back where there's a decent cycle path and bus lane to separate me from general traffic. Hadn't run it in a long time since they improved it but I'll be back there again. My usual lunchtime route goes past Thomand Park and has a few small inclines so its good to have a flat run as well.

Day 75 - 76

Sat 9/1 - Sun 10/1

Sat - Very cold early on so postponed my LSR to the afternoon. Went out with BB for 10M in 1:26. Avg HR 137. Avg Pace 8:37. Had planned on going at 9min pace but went a little too fast from the start possibly due to the cold as we tried to keep warm. The cold may explain the low HR also as it was -2 C. Headed to the mothers after to get a shower as water still out. One of the brothers was asking if we had tights or anything on under the tracksuit bottoms and I laughed and asked him 'what tracksuit bottoms!?!'. It was shorts all the way but we were well geared up on top. We went out the back road to Castleconnell and came back in the N7 via Dalys Cross. The roads were clear of ice but there was odd patches on paths. Tiring towards the end but glad to have clocked it up.

Weekly total - 28M

Sun - Snow all round today so didn't get out for anything. Should have done something on the exercise bike but bunked off and used limited water as a bad excuse :p. I borrowed some empty water coolers from work on Fri and had to lug them up to the attic several times over the weekend to fill the tank after getting water elsewhere. Maybe that counts as weight training :D.

Days 77 - 78

Mon 11/1 - Tues 12/1.

Mon - had to travel to Dublin for work which is a regular occurance and why I normally schedule it as a rest day. Roads were tough going for half it but thawing out near Kildare. I ended up having to stay overnight to attend a Tues meeting so I tried to rescue the situation on the training front by rustling up some gear. I'm due to buy a new pair of runners anyway so I went on a hunt but couldn't find the size I need in the model I want so I ended up buying swimming trunks, googles and a cap and going to see Avitar instead at the cinema.

Tues - early morning swim at a public pool I sourced yesterday. 1000m - 40 x 25m practicing the alternate breathing. Was doing ok for the first half but faded badly. Plenty of water sucked up and half gasps. Thinking about it now I'd have been better doing less of that or slower rather than doing it badly. I had the time and wanted to do 1000m so I kept going and I didn't want to revert to my previous 2 stroke style. Sometimes slower is better in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Whats that film like, Redb, I was hoping to talk the wife into going this weekend???

Is it worth having to suffer through the next Jennifer Aniston romantic comedy as compensation

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Whats that film like, Redb, I was hoping to talk the wife into going this weekend???

Is it worth having to suffer through the next Jennifer Aniston romantic comedy as compensation

Its pretty good. I'd recommend it especially in 3D. Its long (166mins) and I was getting a bit edgy near the end but most of the time just flew. Amazing graphics. Terrible that I had to sneak it in on an away trip but needs must. It'll be Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 (the Squeekwell) for me next time out! :eek:

Days 79 - 80

Wed 13/1 - Thurs 14/1

Wed - Hadn't run since Sat so needed to clock up some miles. Did a new lunchtime loop of 6.4M in 51:20 Avg Pace 8min/mile Avg HR 150.
    I was a bit tired as I didn't get back from Dublin the previous night until after 10pm and there was snow blizzards for most of the journey. Enjoyed the run though and was coming back towards town near the end when I get beeped by an oncoming car. It was MrsB wagging her finger at me! Busted! I hadn't divulged that I was doing lunchtime runs (well, I wasn't asked :D) so there was an Inquiry later on :rolleyes:. Did a small core session later that evening after a W.U. on the indoor bike but not used to the exercises and tired so didn't do very much. Just getting the hang of the routines really.

Thurs - Ran again at lunchtime :p. Interval run thanks to settings I found when playing with the Garmin. 5 min W.U + 8 X 2 mins fast with 1 min recovery in between + 7 min W.D. 5M total, Avg Pace 7:30 Avg HR 155. I needed the speed session as there's been no track sessions held in over 4 weeks due to Xmas and the weather.

Went to the Lim Sports Store after work and picked up a set of fins. Was going to order a new pair of runners but they actually had exactly what I wanted in stock so took them too. Will be breaking them in slowly over the next few days as I got orthotics back in Sept(?) but parked them until after DCM as I couldn't hack the changeover at the time. Didn't wear them after either as gait analysis suggested I needed a slightly larger neutral runner which I now have :). Tried to get a pull buoy too but out of stock there and in Gleesons.

Signed up for Tri club swim session from 9-10pm and really enjoyed that. V big crowd including MCOS and Kevin7. Friendly group so I got chatting to some incl my neighbour DK from the early morning UL run a few weeks back. Did all the drills v badly but so did all the others in my beginners lane. Managed the alternate breathing ok on the std lengths during W.U./W.D. and even fast/slow drill so happy overall. Got cramps using the fins and a bit achy in the body so not sure if thats from the swimming or the Wed core routines.

The running is going to plan and the swimming will be more structured now with the club session and probably another lunchtime swim for putting what I'm learning into practice. The bike is still neglected and with the 1st duathlon in 3 weeks time its not going to be pretty. Getting out for a cycle on Sunday mornings hasn't happened :( but its a balancing act with family stuff getting priority. The darkness in the morning/evening and the weather is limiting everyones outdoor time. While its getting brighter it'll be a few weeks before its practical to be out on a bike but its primarily a time mgt issue. I'll definitely be getting a turbo next autumn ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

RedB wrote: »
    Enjoyed the run though and was coming back towards town near the end when I get beeped by an oncoming car. It was MrsB wagging her finger at me! Busted! I hadn't divulged that I was doing lunchtime runs (well, I wasn't asked :D) so there was an Inquiry later on :rolleyes:.

LOL....Classic. I think we're all guilty of that at some stage! :D

Might I suggest a fake handlebar moustache and a wig for the next time you do the lunchtime run :D

Might I suggest a fake handlebar moustache and a wig for the next time you do the lunchtime run :D

I'll have to borrow Izoard's Batman outfit! :D

• Advertisement

Day 81 Fri 15/1

6.81M run 54:22
    Avg Pace 7:59M/min
    Avg HR 151bpm

Wanted to clock this distance at PMP so happy enough but it included a wide range of pace from 7:30 to 8:30 depending on wind/inclines. Mr Wind hasn't been around for the last few weeks so it was a pain feeling it again. Tired during the 2nd half and just hanging on by the end probably due to what else I've done during the week. Perspiring more than usual after:confused:. Planning a LSR with BB tomorrow.

Day 82 - 83

Sat 16/1 - Sun 17/1.

Sat - 11.8M
    1:47:30
    Avg Pace: 9:06 min/mile
    Avg HR:138 bpm

Did a loop with my training buddy BB around Ballyneety. Tried maintaining an average of 9min/mile pace and happy with that and the low HR but the quads were burning and the last 2 miles were grueling as it was hilly and I was carrying some tiredness from the weeks efforts. No water or gels so we definitely were running out of steam at the end. I was fairly flaked afterwards with very tired and sore legs. I'll have to spread the running out more in future to give time to recover in between as I clocked up 30M in 4 consecutive days and thats a lot for me.

Sun - Recovery day. Will try to get some core work done later as I could feel stiffness there over the last few days from the previous effort so it must have done something constructive ;).

Weekly running total 30m - still on plan.
    2 x swimming sessions incl 1st club session so happy to be making progress.

That Avatar wasnt bad at all......but this all this hydration is a nightmare for a film that length, I havent needed to take a leak like that since Bravehart.

Ended up having to bring the mother along as OH wasnt interested, wasnt bad got great brownie points but got nailed by unluckily sitting in front of one of my best friends and his wife in the dark.

Getting the text messages all weekend about who was the young one with me in the cinema from the mates

That Avatar wasnt bad at all......but this all this hydration is a nightmare for a film that length, I havent needed to take a leak like that since Bravehart.

Ended up having to bring the mother along as OH wasnt interested, wasnt bad got great brownie points but got nailed by unluckily sitting in front of one of my best friends and his wife in the dark.

Getting the text messages all weekend about who was the young one with me in the cinema from the mates

LOL :D.

Brought my own mother out for lunch on Sunday for her birthday but at least some of the brothers were also there to avoid such slagging.

Day 84 - 86

Mon 18/1 - Wed 20/1

Mon - Did an easy 5.4M early morning run. Core exercises in the evening.

Tues - Was meant to swim at lunchtime but had to go to meetings with work that ended up taking all day. Got back in time for track session in UL. Flogging rain and a small bit of a cool headwind just for the craic. 4 x 6mins with 3 mins recovery. Managed about 3.4 laps each set in Lane 2 which worked out at 7:00 min / mile which is ok for me. It was intended as a threshold run (details on WLAC website) and next week is 12 x 80 sec interval pace. Usual W.U. / W.D. + stretching.

Wed - Plan for the week is slightly askew due to work but did a lunchtime swim. 2 x 50m W.U., 7 x 100m, 1 x 50m W.D. Total 850m all with alt breathing. Plan on doing exercise bike and core work this evening.

Day 87 - 91

Thurs 21/1 - Mon 25/1
    Boards was offline Thurs / Fri due to major hack so didn't get to log then.

Thurs - Tri swim session.
    Up country with work during the day so nothing else. Forgot my fins :( and struggled through some drills without but it sure uses up leg energy when thats all you're using. Alt breathing ok all the time now and even had to breath on 5 strokes during one drill which got the HR/Lungs pushing hard. Can't recall exactly the total swam but it was in the order of 800m :confused:.

Fri 7M Lunchtime run. 57:34. Avg pace 8:13, Avg HR 148bpm
    Legs were feeling heavy after the swim but gradually opened up after 4-5M. Hard going until then. Got to the Munster HC game that evening :).

Sat 13M LSR. 1:53:50. Avg Pace 8:43, Avg HR 134bpm.
    Ran with BB around Ballyneety area again. Several inclines but very cold fog which again is my attempt to explain the low HR. Picked up gel+water @ 9M and even had a friendly dog do a few miles with us as well. Nice run and had intended on doing another mile but ran out of time. 25mins after stopping running I was in a cinema watching Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 with the kids after driving 10km home, showering and grabbing another bottle of water. One large bucket of popcorn later and all was well with the world ;). Fog stayed all day.

Sun 2.78M recovery run. 24:12. Avg Pace 8:43. Avg HR 124 bpm.
    I'd been wearing my new runners and orthotics around the house for a week so as to break them in as I'm changing from a support style of shoe to a neutral one plus the orthotics and was trying to minimize the effects of the changeover. I managed a sneaky easy jog with the new runners while the kids ran around the track. Had to stop several times for them which explains the even lower HR but eventually got going when I diverted them elsewhere. No major problems with the runners, minor aches.

WEEKLY TOTAL 33.39M + 2 swim sessions. Happy enough with that, still on plan with the running and its a balance of time and energy as the endurance creeps up.

Mon 5.59M easy run 47:41 Avg Pace 8:32 Avg HR 139 bpm.
    Very cold fog back again so ran before work in HiVis jacket. Home for 8am. Happy days :).

Day 92

Tues 26/1

Lunchtime swim - 1000m
    100m W.U.
    100M sprint approx 2:05 :( (want to break 2:00 by end of Jan)
    400m
    4 x 100m

I need to clock up more pool time as there's not much power in the body at the moment. Technique is coming along slowly with the alt breathing and a better pull but no endurance.

Evening track session
    I live close to UL so ran down as a W.U. followed by good stretches / strides with the group.
    12 x 80 secs + 1 min recovery.
    Was up for and able for a decent pace given the short duration and was front of the second pack as the faster guys drove on. Managed 4 ok and then the tightning in the legs appeared from the 300m mark on No 5 all the way back to the 100m mark as we progressed to No 12. Struggled with the breathing in the second half of the set with recovery taking longer but still front of 2nd pack so very happy with that and the session. Really gave it a lash. Clocked a total of 3:04M in 17:29 with an avg pace of 5:46 and that includes one recovery period where I didn't stop the watch properly :eek:. Was hitting about 375m mark per 80 sec so maybe 5:42 actual pace. Avg HR 148 Max HR 162 which is low for me. Coach expected 90-96% HRMax but I was only hitting 80-90% based on HRMax of 179 (220-41). Maybe I have a lower HRMax or maybe the Garmin is reading lower than it should? Either way I was going as fast as I could :). Ahead of BB until the last one but he had pints the previous night :p. Did warmdown and stretch after. Legs heavy and a small bit sore today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

good running Red! Would have loved to have done that session but my running has taken a nosedive lately, with the duathlon just around the corner and all. Just can't get with it:rolleyes: The sub 2mins 100m will come in a few weeks if you get consistant with the swimming I'll guarantee. See you tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The sub 2mins 100m will come in a few weeks if you get consistant with the swimming I'll guarantee. See you tomorrow evening.

+1 on that. I was in the same boat last year. Once I joined a Masters Group and stuck with the training I went from a 2mins 100 to a 1:29. Haven't gone better than 1:29 though!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great stuff...really admire the ability to churn through the training in Jan!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback, people - always delighted to see a comment on here as any help or encouragement is gratefully received.

Day 93

Wed 27/1

Lunchtime run - 5M easy 40mins. Got busted by MrsB again in the car :D. She's started a small bit of running again some evenings so as long as she gets out for that then no probs.:cool:

Evening - 1 hour on the exercise bike followed by core + stretch while watching Bridge on the River Kwai DVD. The first duathlon is 10 days away and no cycling done in weeks :eek:. Actually I've only been out once since Kenmare in Sept :o but I'll realistically probably only get into it properly in early March with a slow build again to June and beyond. Sept is my big goal so I'm adopting a slow burning approach. The first duathlon will just have to be a training exercise but I do hope to get out for a spin this Sun.

Day 94 - 95

Thur 28/1 - Fri 29/1

Thur - Lunchtime run 5.08M 39:22 Avg Pace 7:44 Avg HR 149bpm
    Tried to do this run as a fartlek. Ran [EMAIL="1M@8min/mile"]1M@8min/mile[/EMAIL] pace, then [EMAIL="1M@7"]1M@7[/EMAIL], [EMAIL="1M@8"]1M@8[/EMAIL], [EMAIL="1/4M@7"]1/4M@7[/EMAIL], [EMAIL="3/4M@8"]3/4M@8[/EMAIL], [EMAIL="1/4M@7"]1/4M@7[/EMAIL], [EMAIL="3/4M+@8"]3/4M+@8[/EMAIL]. Tough going.
    Evening swim with Tri club. Apprx 850m of drills, some with fins and ended with sprints. Arms burning from drills but that's the intention :rolleyes:.

Fri - Lunchtime swim 950m
    100m WU
    200m
    150m
    5 x 100m.
    Tried to keep form so thats why the distances dropped.
    No running today as its time to take a rest day. Long run tomorrow.

Day 96 - 97

Sat 30/1 - Sun 31/1

Sat 15.75M Long Run :). 2:14:43 Avg 8:33/M 142bpm incl 2min water/gel/walk.
    Out around Castleconnell and then CPH loop. Nice morning for a run. BB minding a dodgy hamstring so went on my own. Quads were feeling it uphill near the end and even the gluts were saying 'hello' but a good distance for me at a handy pace. Didn't push it, just went comfortable the whole way. Picked up the water/gel at 9.3M mark.

Sun 2.5M recovery run. Out last night so feeling tired and not going to push it with the bike.

Weekly total 39.29M and 3 x swim sessions.

Day 98

Mon 1/2

Lunchtime swim 1200m
    150m W.U
    3 X 200m
    3 x 150m
    Good swim, dropped the distance to keep the form again in the second half. Amazing feeling in the first length of the W.U where I felt so quick in the water with very little perceived effort. Would like to have that feeling for longer but arms and lungs usually have something to say about it. Alt breathing going fine now so won't mention it again.
    Taking a step back week with the running so hope to fit in more swimming.

Day 99

Tues 2/2

Didn't sleep well or enough last night so dragged myself through todays sessions. Fallout from the weekend me thinks. Need to get back into a proper routine.

Lunchtime swim 1150m
    150m WU
    3 X 200m
    2 X 150m
    1 x 100m

Evening track session 6M
    W.U. / Stretches
    14 x 35 secs
    W.D. / Stretches
    Wet evening, hard going.

Day 100 :)

Wed 3/2

Lunchtime Easy Run - 5.25M+ 42:18, Avg 8:03/M, 144bpm
    Took ages to get the Garmin locked so ran for a few minutes while it got going. Legs heavy from last night. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to squeeze in this run if it was raining like last night but brought the gear in anyway. Turned out to be a lovely day for the run so no excuse there! There's actually been very little rain thats effected my lunchtime runs over the last few weeks so hopefully that'll continue. There's always the pool though for those days.

Days 101-104

Thurs 4/2 - Sun 7/2

Thurs - Had to travel to Dublin with work so no lunchtime activity. Back in time for Tri club drill session. About a dozen different drills x 100m + W.D = 1250m

Fri - Lunchtime swim
    200m W.U.
    4 X 100m off 2:45
    4 x 100m off 3:00
    4 x 50m pullbuoy off 2:00
    50m W.D
    Total 1250M

Evening 12.4M LSR with BB after work.
    Avg 8:57min/M 136 bpm
    Followed the bulk of the Lim Half Marathon Route. BB was in trouble for the second half after doing the UL 10km the prev night and other ailments so we took it handy. Cold and tired afterwards. Probably not a great time to go out but the LSR had to be done then given the weekend activities.

Sat - Family day. Nothing like a kids birthday party to keep you on your toes!
    Dusted down the bike after and got it ship shape along with a new Garmin cadence sensor. Got the multisport setting figured out also on the watch and even got elastic laces on the runners for quicker Transitions.

Sun - Lim Duathlon 3.6km run / 14.3 km cycle / 3.6km
    16:29/1:03/30:38/0:41/16:57 = 1:05:48
    81st out of 134. Not quite mid pack but maybe heading there? Last years result was 74th out of 89. 2010 result was faster even though run distance was a bit longer due to snow last year. My cycle was 5 mins quicker but last year was on a mountain bike so that'd account for a good chunk of that.
    Happy enough with the run and overall rank given that I haven't been on the bike much. I even got BB to come out and give it a go. Enjoyed it all and will give it a go again in 2 weeks time. Met MCOS and a few other familiar friendly faces from the track / pool sessions which is good.
    Took the kids swimming in the afternoon and got a sneaky 500m in which helped with the loosening up of the legs.

Weekly Total 28M run / 15km cycle / 5350m swim over 5 sessions.
    A step back week for the running allowed the swimming to progress and the outlook is good now that the bike has been resurrected also.

Days 105 - 106

Mon 8/2 - Tues 9/2

Mon - Lunchtime Swim
    750m
    2 x 100m
    1 x 50m
    Total: 1000m
    Happy to have clocked up a semi-decent long swim as there's a 300m time trial on Thurs and I hadn't done any distance since going to the 3 stroke breathing.

Tues - Lunchtime Swim
    4 x 200m
    1 x 100m
    2 x 50m
    Total: 1000m
    Again, happy to be stringing a bit more distance together.

Evening Track session
    10 x 80 secs with 1 min intervals (Set was 12 x 80 but were advised to leave out final 2 due to Duathlon last w'end)
    W.U. / W.D. + Stretches
    Clocked up about 385m per set which equates to avg pace of 5:32min/M.
    Avg HR 148 bpm, Max HR 160 bpm.
    I had been thinking my HR was low since the change to the Garmin but I wore my old HRM as well and it gave out the same numbers so my only other explanation is I'm getting fitter and getting older :). The session was supposed to be at 90-96% HR but I'm just about hitting the lower end of that range. Watching the fast lads do the final 2 runs was amazing, they were going like a train while I was feeling more like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Red,

Nice blog and some good training. Just wondering if you feel you were holding back too much on your first run the other day in the duathlon. 16.29 for first one yet you ran only 30secs slower off the bike.

I kind of noticed it from your interval session last night, covering 385m in 80 secs. I could run the 3.6km (pushing but not overdoing it) in approx 14.20 but i would struggle to do 10*400m intervals at 90sec pace (id do 95secs).

I think you ll move yourself well up the field when you push that first run and rely on the stamina you have from the training your doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I think you ll move yourself well up the field when you push that first run and rely on the stamina you have from the training your doing.

+1 you looked far too comfortable last Sunday boyo!

Oh and btw its 400m for the swim TT tomorrow night not 300 just in case you think you are done at 300 ;)

Advertisement