Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Cheers guys,

Didn't feel that comfortable at the time as I'm not that used to fast running. My split was 30secs ahead of my training partner so I thought I was moving, but yeah, maybe there is a bit more in the tank. Even the track session last night has moved on from 375m to 385m for 80secs over 2 weeks so the stamina must be improving with the decent training mileage (for me). My position splits were 88/91/63 with 81st overall so I probably should be pushing it more on the first leg.

On the swimming, I think Coach says us Lane 1 newbies only gotta do 300m. You'll probably have your 400m done before my 300m :D. First one home puts on the tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

RedB wrote: »

On the swimming, I think Coach says us Lane 1 newbies only gotta do 300m. You'll probably have your 400m done before my 300m :D. First one home puts on the tea!

I dunno, lane 5 are newbies too and they have to do 400! My GF is one of those newbies so I'm trying to calm her nerves daily despite the fact that her stroke is looking better than mine. The rest of us mugs have 750 to do so tea will finished by the time we are done :rolleyes:

Days 107 - 109

Wed 10/2 - Fri 12/2

Wed - Lunchtime run, 5.59M, 46:13. Cool, dry and bright.
    Avg Pace 8:17, Avg HR 141bpm
    I had intended this as a recovery run after the prev nights track session and I tried focusing on quicker cadence and shorter steps. The legs were heavy and it was 3-4M before I was moving happily. I felt a slight twinge in the LHS of my right knee during that time as well as the heavy legs. The pace worked out faster than I planned (couldn't slow down :p)but it backfired as I really felt drained later. It was like a lactate / energy gridlock. I had planned on doing a bit of ex bike / core work that evening but I was wasted, low motivation and just flopped on the coach. I should've gone to bed at a decent hour but couldn't even motivate myself to do that :(.

Thurs - Lunchtime run, 5.54M, 46:17, Beautiful day, a bit cool but very sunny.
    Avg Pace 8:21 Avg HR 140.
    Deja Vu. Legs a little better but still sluggish. Knee twinged in the second half this time. Again meant to take it a bit easier but couldn't help myself. Part of it might be trying to get back to the office in time. I think I'll just have to shorten the run if its a lunchtime one. Not sure if the knee is caused by the camber of the road I've been running on recently or the elastic laces which aren't as snug as regular ones. Tired after the run but not as bad as yesterday.

650m Evening swim, Tri club TT
    100m W.U.
    400m 9:xx(?)
    1 x 100m + 1 x 50m Recovery / W.D.
    First time doing this kind of thing. Went second in first set. Caught the first girl after about 150m but she passed me again on the next turn and pulled away a bit through the rest.
    I've been reading other logs about people maintaining sub 2:00/100m splits so I'm obviously well off that pace and 30min for 1500m in HOTW seems unlikely at the moment but its 19 weeks away yet so I'll keep working on it. Sub 35mins might be more realistic with more focus on the bike/run for better time improvements.
    I'm really concentrating on my running for the next 11 weeks and improving my endurance with the marathon training. While I'll start on the bike soon, I want to nail that running endurance before pushing the cycling side of things and chipping away at the swimming. Had a laugh yesterday evening when MrsB starting telling me about a great thing one of the neighbours has where you can cycle you own bike indoors in front of the TV :). Looks like that Turbo won't be a problem come the Autumn :D. I'm really on a slow burn with my Tri training with initial endurance building the background goal for 2010.

Fri - Going to scrap my intended lunchtime run and just recover a bit. Planning an 18M run tomorrow afternoon and the knee is actually twinging a bit even sitting here so I'm going to rest it until then. I'll swop back the laces and maybe just do some core/stretching this evening.
    I've a bit of a snuffle also after the swim and feeling cold so I'll dose up a bit with the Vit C / fluids. I've a suspicion that I haven't been eating / hydrating properly around the lunchtime sessions and I definitely haven't been getting enough sleep. I've felt sluggish every morning for a good while now and that's not normal for me. Naturally its a result of the increase in mileage but I should be compensating by getting more sleep. Family life doesn't always allow that though but I'll have to discipline myself better in that regard. That'll be one of my resolutions for Lent along with cutting out sugary foods and possibly alcohol (apart from certain events :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

That'll be one of my resolutions for Lent along with cutting out sugary foods and possibly alcohol (apart from certain events :D).

Lent! I think mine will be giving up long hours in the saddle...sure there'll be loads of time after Easter for that sort of stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You should try the vitamin B complex Red, a nutrionist I know put me on to that when i told her I always felt run down from all the training. Flying these days (except for my pee now being green.....side effects)

• Advertisement

I use Berocca performance (dissolve in water). You can get them in the pharmacy. I use them on heavy training weeks or if I'm sleeping poorly.

Cheers Folks,

A trip to the Pharmacy on route home is now in order.:)

Day 110 - 111

Sat 13/2 - Sun 14/2

Sat - Was wiped out on Friday evening with a 24hr head cold. That's the way they hit me, they come in hard and go quick. I wrapped up well and dosed up on Lemsip and waited it out. Right on schedule, it started to lift. I was busy for most of the day and just got out late in the afternoon.

LSR 18M, 2:39:56, Avg pace 8:53min/M, Avg hr 139 bpm
    A good run out to Castleconnell back to UL and round by B+Q. Picked up water/gel at 9M. Was taking it easy so happy with the pace. The legs started to seize up a bit at 12.5M but it went and came and went again over the next few miles. There was still strength left in them to keep the pace without problem so happy with that.

Sun - 2.4M recovery run, 22:20, Avg 9:19min/M, Avg HR 136 bpm
    Late night with friends last night so just wanted to move some lactate. Sweated out some alcohol in a snatched run.

Weekly total 38.69M + 3 swim sessions

Days 112 - 113

Mon 15/2 - Tues 16/2

Mon - On the road with work so just a recovery day. Did an hour on the exercise bike in the evening.

Tues - 1250m steady lunchtime swim with increase in distance.
    1000m - Just tried to keep a happy pace and glide a bit with leading arm while recovery arm was out of the water.
    200m + 50m W.D.

Evening track session - poor session for me as BB was always 10-15m ahead.
    1.5M WU from home + stretchs / easy strides
    2.96M in 18:17 (6 x 3 mins with 2 min recovery) Avg 6:10min/M pace, Avg HR 149bpm, Max 162 bpm.
    1M WD + 4 X 100m fast strides + stretches + 1.5M home
    Total 7.23M
    Didn't 'spark' in this session, might be due to earlier swim. Will try to separate those sessions in future. Was aiming for 800m per 3mins and managed it for first 2 but then dropped back to approx 775m for next 2 and 750m for final 2. While I put in a bit more mileage than BB he's really got his speed coming together and slashed an amazing 3 mins :eek: off his 10k PB last week in the final ULBC race in a time of 44:58!! That's one of my goals for the year so at least I'm training with the right guy.

Days 114 - 116

Wed 17/2 - Fri 19/2

Wed - Meant to get in a lunchtime run but busy with work so left a few minutes early instead and got a nice half hour sunset run along the river bank at UL. Lovely evening for that route. It was meant to be a recovery run but I was tight on time so it worked out as 3.68M in 29:57, Avg 8:09/M 143BPM.

Thurs - Lunchtime got away from me again so it was an early evening run for me as MrsB+Co are outa town for 48hrs. 6.16M in 51:44, Avg 8:24/M 145bpm. This is a local circuit and actually has a decent amount of hillwork. I must check the Garmin Train Centre to check the altitude and see how it rates.

Just time after the run for a quick bite to eat and out to my Tri club swim session. Loads of drills starting with 4 x 75m sets of 25m f/c, 25m 3xsingle arm, 25m arms by side kick as a WU
    4 x 25m catch up with board
    4 X 25m catch up with pullbuoy
    6 x 25m watching hand through full stroke with fins
    5min kick test - was at the back of group and held up so probably only 4mins moving but still only to 4 x 25m show for it.
    4 x 25m swimming with fists closed
    100m breast stroke/backstroke cool down
    Total 950m

Fri - Lunchtime swim
    3 x 200 (30sec)
    2 x 150 (30sec)
    1 x 100
    Total 1000m

LSR with BB after work. 13M 1:57 Avg 9:00/M, 134bpm. Several stops as BB hit with 'digestive problems' probably due to having a few rasher sambos 2 hours earlier :rolleyes:. Even had to have an emergency stop at an Esso station W.C.. Or maybe he picked up a bug but the less said the better ;). I realised on the run that I've done 4 sessions within 24 hours. Does that count as a 'quadruple' :cool:?

• Advertisement

Days 117 - 119

Sat 20/2 - Mon 22/2

Sat - 50km cycle in 2 hours. First proper cycle in months so took it nice and handy with plenty of easy spinning so happy with that given the upcoming Duathlon. Tried to keep it above 90RPM and Avg was 86 incl bits of free-wheeling. Clonlara, Killaloe, Newport Rd loop. Puncture half way but spare tube to the rescue. Hamlet cigar moment compared to Lost Sheep :D. Several cyclists about. Hailstones started near home and then there was a heavy snowfall later that afternoon :eek:. Wasn't sure if Duathlon would go ahead but it got mild again that night so kept fingers crossed.

Sun - Tri Club Duathon. Still waiting on official results as I had to head away straight after it. Garmin says 1:04:59 which is only about a minute faster than prev but 2 transitions were a mare. Had a faster 1st run coming in under 16mins but then couldn't see my bike and did a frozen rabbit impersonation for several seconds as all about me bodies were grabbing their stuff. The run entry to Transition was different from the main gate and I lost my orientation and couldn't remember which rack it was on or where along the rack it was. Stupid mistake :(. As I cycled off I left my gloves off and then spent time on the cycle trying to manoeuvre them back on without crashing as it was quite cold. Frustrating. Several people passed me in the first few Km but then I hit form and made decent progress. I had a good spin back from the turnaround and managed to claw back a few spots, getting in just under 30mins which again was faster than previous. Then I couldn't open my helmet in T2 so more wasted time there :(. Got into the run without too much difficulty in the legs apart from very serious gasping going up the steep hill at the back of Endas. Pulled back another 1 or 2 places on run and was aiming for a clubmate who was over 100m ahead at the turnaround but I just couldn't get there. He slowed right down coming up the steep driveway at the very end but so did I. If I had tried pushing it even harder on the downhill section before that it might have been closer but alas it wasn't to be :rolleyes:. Happy to be sub 65, happy with the run and bike but disappointed with transitions. Still, that time is easier to make up then other sections so hopefully I've learned that lesson.

Mon - Recovery day. Was parked at the computer at 7.55am and got my place into HOTW before they went in a flash. 'Yippee' says MrsB. I don't think she was serious ;).

Oh yeah it turns out that BB did have a bug on Fri and didn't make the Duathlon. He was only able to get up at 3pm yesterday!

Was parked at the computer at 7.55am and got my place into HOTW before they went in a flash. 'Yippee' says MrsB. I don't think she was serious ;).

Congrats on securing the entry...the hardest part of some events:-)

Have never done HotW - recommended?

How does it compare to Beast of the East?

Izoard wrote: »
    Congrats on securing the entry...the hardest part of some events:-)

Have never done HotW - recommended?

How does it compare to Beast of the East?

HotW was my first olympic tri last year - my only previous tri was a charity sprint one in 2005 in Blessington so I didn't have much to benchmark it against but I found it very well organised and a 'challanging' course. Its a bay swim and we were blessed with the weather as it was like a mill pond, perfectly flat, on the day. The 43km(?) bike route is quite up and down and there can be a sea breeze. The out+back 10k run blew me away because I didn't fuel up on the bike and its quite a climb (80m) on the outward section. I walked plenty of it! There were physios and a good meal provided after and once I got the colour back in my face I was beaming. Plus a sweet tech tee shirt. I'd definitely recommend it.
    I have no idea how it compares to the Beast which I did think about entering last year but went for the Lost Sheep instead. Maybe next year :).

Days 120 - 123

Tues 23/2 - Fri 26/2

Not a lot to report as the wheels came off the wagon this week. A big push at work on Monday resulted in only 2 hours sleep that night and traveling Tues/Wed also didn't help. Haven't caught up properly on sleep yet and motivation was in the boots for most of the week.

Got the official results from last Sunday's Duathlon on Mon eve and was a bit down as a result of them also. Only 44sec of a difference from the first one in a time of 1:05:04 so not even sub-65mins. It wasn't high on the priority list and I had sort of a busy training week before hand so wasn't expecting much but still a bit disappointed. 15:55(67)/0:56/30:00(84)/0:53/17:20(71)=1:05:04(73). Actually, looking at it again just now, its not as pathetic as I felt it was earlier in the week re the relative positions. The bike is a weak point but I haven't really been doing any so that's fair enough. The first run was good for me and 34secs faster than the previous Duathlon but the second one was 23secs slower than previous :(. Again, there's something to work on with brick sessions which I also haven't even thought about yet. Avg HR for R1 was 156bpm but only 144bpm for R2 so there's room for improvement there. The transitions weren't as bad timewise as I thought they'd be given the messing I did so, all in all, there's still a bit of hope.

I felt earlier in the week that I wasn't improving much even though I've been training as much as I could, but its not the time to be making those sort of judgement calls especially when you're sleep deprived! I really had to drag myself to do anything this week as I've been doubting if I'm making any real inroads despite the effort and the thought had crossed my mind 'Is it really worth it?'. I don't like writing that down but I feel I should, hopefully so I can come back to it in the future and answer it with the benefit of hindsight........but for now we carry on. Rest if you must, but don't you quit!

Tues - SFA. Didn't go to track session as wreaked tired and weather was freezing, wet.

Wed - SFA. Not much opportunity to do anything and still wreaked.

Thurs - lunchtime 5M run 40:36 Avg 8:10/M 139bpm. Four miles were spent dragging dead legs around and they finally woke up for the last mile.

Eve Tri Club Swim Session. 3 x 100 W.U. (25mFC/25single arm), Floating body position exercise, 4 X 25m palms only with fins, 3.5 x 100 (25m Kick(no arms), 25mFC, 25m side roll, 25mFC), W.D.

Fri - lunchtime 5M run 40:22 Avg 8:05/M 129bpm :eek:. HR seems low? Feeling a bit better re motivation, just need to catch up on sleep as oppposed to rest :rolleyes:. Hope to do decent LSR over w'end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Don't be getting down on yourself there RedB, you've been putting in a massive amount of work there recently and it's bound to catch up with you especially with 'real life' stuff happening like lack of sleep, busy at work an so on.
    Read back through last weeks training and you'll see 9 tough sessions (incl a duathlon race!) in 6 days from Tues to Sun - that's heavy going by any standard!
    Be thankful for the bit of a rest you got this week because it's the recovery that makes you stronger. You're still in great shape for Connemara and Limerick so no big deal :)

I wouldnt worry too much about your placings in the Duathlons, maybe I am wrong but I feel there is a better class of entrant then what you get in the summer tris. Only the serious guys in our club went down to these, the weekend warriors tend to wait till the weather gets better.

Summer is the time for this training to come through, at least thats what I hope anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

You (me anway:D) will always have a week or two where things seem to fall apart. In the greater scheme of things, it's probably a good thing (recovery, etc) but it's annoying and frustrating. Feels like all the work you've done is in vain, but it's easy to forget all the work you actually have done, and how that will stand to you...

Cheers guys - appreciate the gee up. Did a 20M run this morning in glorious weather and a decent time so full of the joys of life again ;). Its not always rosy in the garden but hopefully that'll make the good days even better. This year is mainly focusing on my running endurance and that is coming along so I just gotta stick with the plan. I'll be doing the Ballycotton 10 in a few weeks and the Connemara Half after that so hopefully that'll be where I see the fruits of the work so far and drive on again from there. Onward and upward :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nothing like a great run to put everyting back into perspective. Sometimes i think we lose the plot if we cannot do everything according to plan. oh well. something i think most of us need to work on but will never get the hang of! Best of luck for the next few races.

Did a 20M run this morning in glorious weather and a decent time so full of the joys of life again ;).

20M and you are only aiming for the Con half?

I think we have mixed up our training plans (20km so far and aiming for the full):)

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    20M and you are only aiming for the Con half?

I think we have mixed up our training plans (20km so far and aiming for the full):)

Sorry - forgot to mention the main events :)
    Hoping to go Sub 4 for the Great Limerick Run and push on again for the DCM..........this time with feeling! I'm also hoping to complete HOTW and Lost Sheep without having to walk sections of the run. :rolleyes:

Days 124 - 125

Sat 27/2 - Sun 28/2

Sat 20M LSR, 2:51:38, Avg Pace 8:35/M, Avg HR 140bpm

Super morning for a run and I intended to run at 9:00/M pace but I just found a nice rhythm and kept with it. Took 250ml water at 10M and an iso gel at 13.5M. The legs started to tighten around then especially the quads but not too bad. Took another 250ml water over the next few miles and ground it out as the pace slipped a little bit but not too bad. Glad there wasn't another 6.2M to go but happy with that for now.

Sun 4M recovery run, 34:40, Avg pace 8:41/M, Avg HR 135bpm.

Another beautiful morning. Took a nice route along the riverbank. Just clocked up a few miles as active recovery.

Well done on that lsr RedB. Sure you could walk the last 10k and make sub4 at that rate! You are in great shape for it. More like 3.45 marathon shape if you ask me...

Nice running Red, you will need to chain yourself to BB in Connemara, I would imagine the temptation will be high to have a go. Certainly sub 4 looks a cakewalk in Limerick

Cheers lads.

Just changed my connemarathon entry from the full to the half and will give that a proper crack although I don't know the route so those 'hills' sound a bit forbidding. I'm hoping to go sub 80 for the Ballycotton 10 and push the HM as close to 100mins as I can :) Limerick should be 3:45ish

Days 126 - 130

Mon 1/3 - Fri 5/3

Missed a few sessions due to work and other circumstances but just going to roll with the punches this week and try and catch up again next week. The weekend is gone too as its MrsB's birthday soon and we're away for a few days.

Mon - nothing, on the road with work.
    Tues - Cycled to work, gym rtn approx 10km (the only cycle of the week):o
    lunchtime swim 200m w.u., 6 x 100m off 2:30/2:45, 4 x 50m = 1000m
    evening track session 15min W.U. run + Stretches + strides
    10 x 80 secs with 1 min recovery. Just hitting 400m on average, tough going but happy running. 2.54M 13:24 = 5:16min/M pace, Avg HR 145.
    25min W.D. incl stretches. Total 7.18M
    Wed - nothing. Got held up in roadworks enroute to lunchtime swim so ended up not going as it would've been too short. Got to sort some odd jobs instead. MrsB usually out on Wed eve and I ocasionally to do a bit on exercise bike. Her gig was cancelled so that meant mine was too :rolleyes:.
    Thurs - On the road with work so nothing at lunchtime. Back in time for club swim session. Approx 1000m in misc drills mainly kicking.
    Fri - lunchtime swim. 1250m straight. Will try to get a run in this evening or in the morning before we go.

Days 131 - 135

Sat 6/3 - Wed 10/3

Sat - Travelling, didn't get a chance to squeeze in a run so nothing to report.

Sun - No chance to squeeze in a run. Calves cramping, probably due to lack of running :o.

Mon - More cramping of the calves. Knots sitting there. Travelling but had to go out for a run when I got home to shake off the knots. Headed out at 10pm and slightly concerned that I'd be wide awake later as a result but no such problem. Strange sensation in the legs as it was 6 days since I'd ran and they were aching and paining at the start but grand at the end. Took it handy.

5.58M, 49:00, Avg pace 8:47min/M, Avg HR 135bpm

Tues - Travelling with work but planned ahead a bit and squeezed in a very short lunchtime swim en route to the location as I was caught for time.

200m W.U.
    5 X 100m off 2:30
    1 x 50m W.D.
    750m total.

Evening track session
    12min W.U. run + Stretches + strides
    10 x 80 secs with 1 min recovery. Just hitting 400m on average, going not as tough this week.
    2.53M, 13:27 = 5:19 min/M pace, Avg HR 142. Max HR 163
    30min W.D. incl stretches.
    Total 7.12M

I had posted an Interval HR query in the main forum last week as I thought my HR was low and wasn't hitting the training zone. The word back was that I was going too fast but allowing too much recovery. It'd be better for marathon training to go at 5k pace which would work out at 300m per 80sec rather than 400m but only allow 30sec recovery instead of 1min and build up to do 20 of them rather than 10. I recently got the P+D Advanced Marathoning book but haven't had a chance to read it properly yet. I dipped into it last night and it warns against doing speed sessions too fast as they're of limited value in the marathon and involve a big effort which would be better utilised in other workouts. I'm kinda torn now as the point of doing the marathon is to help improve my endurance and improve my tri runs which will be 10k and HM. The track sessions are for a general group of all distance ranges and abilities. Part of me thinks I should stick with them to help my performance over the shorter distances such as 10k but the other half thinks that I'm in marathon mode this year and should embrace it to the hilt to get the max out of it. I'm trying to keep two camps happy and there's bound to be slight conflicts to be ironed out. I like training with the group but it is a tough session. I might have a word with the Coach as it'll come up again re the DCM and there's bound to be others in the group who're also in marathon mode. I'm thinking longterm on the issue as I want to improve my long distance capabilities over a few years with this year for running and next year for cycling.

Wed - Lunchtime swim got cancelled due to domestic crisis but got an hour on the exercise bike in the evening. Slept very well for the first time in ages and feel fresh today (Thurs) as a result.

Days 136 - 137

Thurs 11/3 - Fri 12/3

Thurs - 5M lunchtime run
    Tried to do this as a Tempo run but overcooked it and went too fast which forced me to slow right down once the lactate kicked in. 1M W.U. at 8:30, 1.5M at 7:10ish pace but then 1.5M at 8:30 and 1M at 8:00 pace.
    Total 39:30, Avg pace 7:54, Avg HR 155.

Will try again next week at a slightly slower pace (7:30ish?) and attempt to hold it for longer. As a matter of interest I just checked MacMillan's Running Calculator based on my recent 20M run and its suggesting 7:56 - 8:17 for Tempo Runs (W.U.+15-30mins) and 7:50-8:06 for Tempo Intervals (8-15mins x 2-4 with 2-5min easy int). This seems slow and since its based on a LSR I'm taking the liberty of punching in a 3:40 marathon time (;)) and see what that throws up => 7:38-7:58 TR, 7:32-7:48TI. I like the look of those numbers better :) and will try that on for size next week.

Thurs Evening - Tri Club Swim Session 1450m of drills. Good hard session. Increase in intensity and distance.

Fri am - Run. First am run in a while. Woke ahead of the alarm at 6:30am and went downstairs to gear up but left my orthotics above in my shoes by mistake. Was planning an easy run and didn't want to disturb the troops so went without them = big mistake :(. The blisters started forming after 1-2M and I pulled up just after 3M when I saw the blood on the socks. 2 nasty ones on either side of my left foot. Walked over a mile home via a shorter route and tended my wounds.

Lunchtime swim - considered not going but went for it.
    2 x 100m W.U.
    5 X 200m
    2 X 100m W.D.
    Total 1400m

My running week is now shaping up as follows depending on work travel, life, etc:
    Mon - Easy Run (AM or lunch) or Rest
    Tues - Evening Track
    Wed - Lunchtime Easy Run
    Thurs - Lunchtime Tempo
    Fri - AM Easy Run
    Sat - AM LSR
    Sun - AM Recovery Run

Swimming is usually 3 times a week incl Thurs eve Club Technique session and 2 lunchtime swims. Again, dependant on work, etc.

Cycling - ???? Need to get moving on this bigtime. Brighter mornings now so I should be aiming for Tues/Thurs am cycles and a long one on Sun. Talk is cheap :o.

Days 138 - 139

Sat 13/3 - Sun 14/3

Sat - 20M LSR, 2:57:48, Avg 8:54m/M, Max 158bpm, Avg136bpm 3067cal

Splits
    Dist Time Pace HR Cals
    10M 1:27:12 8:43 133bpm 1541cal
    5M 43:35 8:42 138bpm 774cal
    1M 8:44 8:46 143bpm 154cal
    1M 9:10 8:54 145bpm 151cal
    1M 8:46 9:04 147bpm 149cal
    1M 8:55 8:58 145bpm 153cal
    0.5M 4:49 9:36 146bpm 78cal
    0.25M 2:26 9:33 142bpm 40cal
    0.25M 4:10 17:22 122bpm 27cal:(

A decent run despite the wheels falling off the wagon at the end. Experimented with holding back on nutrition in an attempt to encourage the fat burning mechanism but left it too late and had to walk the last quarter mile as a result. Took 250ml water at 11M, an Iso gel at 15M (2:10 in) and sipped 330ml water between 16-18M. My pace started to fade from 16M. The floating spots started in earnest in my peripheral vision around 18M with the legs dead tired and wanting to stop. I sucked it up for as long as I could but by 19M my head was swimming and I was slowing right down. The last quarter mile home is uphill (isn't it always ;)?) and I walked from there as I was cooked and it wasn't worth it for that extra distance. Lesson learned. Back to 13M for the gel next time :). I had covered the blisters up well with compeed plasters and that worked a treat. A few very minor blisters on the toes but a lot of chaffing on the inner thighs were the only other issues. I ran out of Bodyglide whilst putting it on and obviously didn't have enough. Another lesson learned!

By mad coincidence I bumped into the track Coach as I was going out my front gate to start the run so I had a good chat with him first about the benefits of speed sessions for the marathon as I had intended bringing it up with him anyway. He thinks the speed is of benefit as you may need the odd spurt when running in a group, overtaking, going up hills. Not 100% convinced myself on the return on effort but he said the distances / splits would be increasing for the next few weeks to 2M/3km so that suits. Discussed tempo runs and recovery needed at my age as well as tapering for Limerick versus 'racing' the Connemara HM. He prefers a 4 week taper and the HM is 3 weeks out from Limerick so he suggested doing half it easy and half at PMP. I have a 100min target in mind for the HM this season and was considering going hard in Connemara to see how close I'd go. Probably not on with the hills and my current pace but I don't have another HM planned at the moment. Need to think a bit more about my strategy on that HM :cool:.

Sun - 60km Cycle (37.85M) 2:31:30 Avg 24.0kph (15.0MPH) Max 52.3kph (32.7MPH) Avg 87rpm, Max 141bpm , Avg 118bpm, 2348cal.

Beautiful morning for an 8am cycle and myself, Kevin7 and another lad went up and back to Nenagh on the unopened stretch of the M7. Perfect conditions apart from a slight headwind on the return. Met a few other cyclists coming against us on the way back incl the Tri Club availing of the easy rolling surface.

Happy with a decent weekend of training but fairly bushed after it all too.

• Advertisement

Did Kevin7 shag off again when the going got tough?? :D

We had a dietician out at our club and she reckoned 90 minutes is as much as you'll get out of your body working at optimal level. Anything after that and it is time to fuel up. A gel is good for about 20-30 minutes she reckoned

Whats your thinking on trying to drag out the nutrition, I am the opposite I will be liberally downing the gel again this weekend on the LSR, better to be overcooked than undercooked is my thinking.

Note: I know very little about nutrition

Advertisement