Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

RedB wrote: »
    I hope to have a little run over the w'end to see how its shaping up.

we don't want to read a log update containing anything other than a little run ok? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

MarieC wrote: »
    we don't want to read a log update containing anything other than a little run ok? :rolleyes:

Yeeees Mammy :rolleyes:.

Was that you I spotted running down Schoolhouse road about 8:45pm Thurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

How's the calf holding up RedB?
    Hope your in good shape to go run a 3:45/3:50 this weekend?

DustyBin wrote: »
    How's the calf holding up RedB?
    Hope your in good shape to go run a 3:45/3:50 this weekend?

Ever hopeful but still have to cross my fingers on getting round. I'll probably hit the start line alright but finishing it will be in the lap of the Gods after that.:rolleyes:. Time has become less relevent as long as its some sort of PB.

Only ran 4M last week which was Sun am and the calf wasn't behaving itself even then. Rested Mon, did 6M this am and again the calf was like a knotted ball of muscle. Had physio then which helped loosen it up and will probably just do 1-2M Thurs am and lots of stretching. I'll be gliding off the miles I did in Feb / March rather than my April count so hopefully that'll be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Stay off it now RedB. Maybe a 15-20 min jog on Saturday to determine if its worth trying to do 26.2 miles on it. If its going to mean a month of recovery afterwards then you will be out of Kilkee more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good luck for Limerick.

You know you are in ~3:40 range, so whether you nail it here or in Dublin, it WILL be this season:)

Ever hopeful but still have to cross my fingers on getting round. I'll probably hit the start line alright but finishing it will be in the lap of the Gods after that.:rolleyes:. Time has become less relevent as long as its some sort of PB.

Only ran 4M last week which was Sun am and the calf wasn't behaving itself even then. Rested Mon, did 6M this am and again the calf was like a knotted ball of muscle. Had physio then which helped loosen it up and will probably just do 1-2M Thurs am and lots of stretching. I'll be gliding off the miles I did in Feb / March rather than my April count so hopefully that'll be enough.

Sounds worse now than what I thought it was before
    Look after yourself anyway, and if you're going to do the marathon best of luck with it
    (there's actually very little hope of you not doing it I'd reckon, pigheadedness has deep deep roots)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck on sunday Red, hope everything goes well for it. Leave nothing out there!

I look forward to the report

Yeeees Mammy :rolleyes:.

Was that you I spotted running down Schoolhouse road about 8:45pm Thurs?

only saw this now, yeah that was probably me! were you running or driving?

Best of luck for Sunday RedB, here's hoping the calf behaves itself and I look forward to meeting you at some stage of the route!

Go team 3:50/3:49!! I propose alternating piggy backs perhaps to get us to our targets if needs be! :)

• Advertisement

Good luck RedB and Marie C!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck RedB and MarieC (where did your log go?). No more than a minute between ye now y'hear! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of Luck RedB and MarieC - im marshalling on Sunday so ye could pass by me - look for the freshly Mac 3 head!!!

Hope ye get to goal.

MarieC wrote: »
    only saw this now, yeah that was probably me! were you running or driving?

:) Haven't you been reading my log at all? I was driving of course :D
    I noticed you were going the easy way round though! Best of luck on Sunday, no doubt we'll cross paths somewhere along the route - Donkey Fords for chips or the Curagower for a pint ;)

Thanks for all the good wishes folks.

Just back from a Confirmation in Wexford and looking forward to Sunday after a lovely day but a long drive back. The calf continues to ease while still making its presence felt a bit. Hopeful for a decent run though and busy organising a few pickups of waterbottles and gels at strategic locations around the route. I'll be picking up stuff at the Vistakon end from the family around 6M and ya can't beat the Irish Mammy for turning up around mile 20 with more goodies while BB's side has the honours for the midway stretch. We figure that we need bottles rather than the cups for the water and we're minimising the Lucosade Sports drinks after our last experience.

Expo visit tomorrow and carbo loading for the rest of the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Hope you have a good race tomorrow, if the calf allows! If it doesn't - just take it philosophically and know that you have built a great base for your assault on the next one!

But....fingers crossed.....good luck to you....and indeed to MarieC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck RedB, hope that injury stays away... Enjoy the day

Cheers lads. Looking forward to it. :)

Lost my 3:45 pace group around 19M and walked/ran the last 7M with cramps, dissyspells, nausea, chronic fatigue and the awful feeling that I was going to end up on the wrong side of 4:00:(. .........but I didn't :) 3:56 and as happy as a pig in.....(you get the idea). Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done Red. We both know that feeling that often comes with 7 miles to go and you obviously did really well to hang on and only lose 11 minutes. Sub 4 is still great going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done man - some going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done redb, i can sympathise with the feeling you had from mile 19 on.

You can target sub 3.45 in Dublin now.

How did BB do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nice to get the sub 4 out of the way...well done!

Well done kid! Good man getting the sub 4.

Fair play RedB, sub 4 is fantastic especially after the 2 weeks buildup you had
    Time to knuckle down for a few tri's now :)

catweazle wrote: »
    Well done redb, i can sympathise with the feeling you had from mile 19 on.

You can target sub 3.45 in Dublin now.

How did BB do?

I hear ya catweazle. Definitely gonna put in some extra work for Dublin to get rid of that last 7mile feeling. Need to trim that back to the minimum. Ya put in the miles, ya get the smiles :).

BB was in the same boat as me and we played cat and mouse from 17M with him coming good at 23M and coming in on 3:52 so a pretty good day at the office for us both. MrsB even clocked 54mins for the 10K and was amazed at the benefits of this training lark!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done on fighting for the sub 4.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done Red. We both know that feeling that often comes with 7 miles to go and you obviously did really well to hang on and only lose 11 minutes. Sub 4 is still great going.

Cheers menoscemo - ya those last ones are the toughies alright. Motivation was in my boots and it was hard going. I don't mind coming in tired but they weren't as fun as I'd have liked. I can run comfortably these days for a lot longer than I used to be able to so its just a matter of pushing that envelope a bit further to get that happy feeling nearer the end. Next tiime :cool:.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Well done man - some going there.

Thanks ULstudent - hope to have you out there on the running side of the race next time ;). Thanks for the support.

• Advertisement

Well done kid! Good man getting the sub 4.

Thanks Boss :). Now, where did I put that bike ;)

Advertisement