Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Izoard wrote: »
    Nice to get the sub 4 out of the way...well done!

Yep - that's a monkey off my back alright. Now it gets serious ;). Thanks for checking in. The post on your own thread about the first 5km of the Ironman marathon feeling like the last 5km of a regular marathon.... and then it gets worse....:eek: was burning through my mind yesterday afternoon! Fair play to ya for taking that on - a true superhero :)

DustyBin wrote: »
    Fair play RedB, sub 4 is fantastic especially after the 2 weeks buildup you had
    Time to knuckle down for a few tri's now :)

For sure, but it could have easily gone a whole lot worse. Happy that I did the best I could off a mixed 2009 base and hopeful that I can build on it now. The last month was well off the originally scheduled training plan and I'll have to see now how I balance my Tri training now with DCM 10. Priorities will have to be decided as the 18wk program starts the week of HOTW Tri and then the Lost Sheep Tri is only 6 weeks before DCM.

Well done on fighting for the sub 4.

Thanks RQ - you put the wind up on me when I saw you as I had been looking over my shoulder in case the Sub-4:00 pacers caught me. Your sub-2:00 HM paced group were just the perfect thing I needed - encouragement and a window of opportunity that still allowed me to enjoy the last half mile without worrying about the clock. I knew you'd drag me over the line if it came to it ;) Good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

RedB wrote: »
    ... I'll have to see now how I balance my Tri training now with DCM 10. Priorities will have to be decided as the 18wk program starts the week of HOTW Tri

You should maybe consider doing a 12 week programme so.
    You've a huge running base built up so far this year, and if you keep that ticking over across the summer, with maybe a bit of a ramp up a couple weeks before a 12 week programme would start then you're probably alright.

the Lost Sheep Tri is only 6 weeks before DCM.

Sure what is it only a glorified lsr?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Well done on the sub 4, RedB. I keep coming up with different target times for DCM 10, and it's when I read reports like your own that I'm reminded that the marathon isn't that straightforward. Those last six miles tend to dictate things for you! That said, you're definitely set for sub 3:45 if you take on Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Good running RebB, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Glad you broke the 4:00, and with plenty of time left over too. Pity I didn't bump into you this time around. I hung around with the other pacers for a while after the race, but had to limp back to the hotel after a while. Congrats. onwards and upwards from here on in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done on sub4 RedB. Happy to make your acquaintance a few minutes after I crossed the line;)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Excellent job on the Sub4 RedB! Was that you who passed me at some stage and turned back to say hello? Thought it was you anyway..... How is the calf since?

Glad you broke the 4:00, and with plenty of time left over too. Pity I didn't bump into you this time around. I hung around with the other pacers for a while after the race, but had to limp back to the hotel after a while. Congrats. onwards and upwards from here on in!

Thanks. Think I saw you after you collected your baggage with your family (?) but I was numb and needed another half hour before I warmed up to conversation level :). Did a pub crawl (literally :rolleyes:) that evening but missed the Boardsie gang as I worked my way around town. Next time.
    Well done on sub4 RedB. Happy to make your acquaintance a few minutes after I crossed the line;)

NEVER was I so glad not to meet a person during a race! Nothing personal but for the last 3M I felt like you were Death chasing me with his Scythe :D. The ballons! The ballons! The ballons are coming!! Of course I was delighted to put a face to the name after the line. Similarly when I met HunnyMonster approching UL also but she just motored off. Cartman was in the sub 3:45 group too and I ran with the Sub 2:00 HM pacers at the end so I was delighted to meet a few more Boardsies
    MarieC wrote: »
    Excellent job on the Sub4 RedB! Was that you who passed me at some stage and turned back to say hello? Thought it was you anyway..... How is the calf since?

No - you were too fast for me! You were 13th lady home!! Fantastic result. So happy for you! What a great year.

Delighted with my 3:56:10 (267th). The calf is fine and I even went out for a gentle 2M recovery run this morning. I'll have to do up a proper race report but it won't be today. Still buzzin' :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great stuff RedB. Delighted to read the calf injury didn't halt your sub 4 attempt. Well done.

I haven't filed a proper log over the last 2 weeks so here's the update.

Days 180 - 191
    Sat 24/04 - Weds 05/05

Sat 24/4 - Rest. Calf stretching and self massage.

Sun 25/4 - first run in a week after injurying my calf. Still acting up but feels better after the run. Booked physio for Tues.
    4M, 33:39, 8:25/M

Mon 26/4 - Rest

Tues 27/4 - Did morning run before physio. Knot in calf starting to ease more.
    6M, 50:54, 8:29/M

Wed 28/4 - Rest, don't even want to swim or cycle in case it affects me

Thurs 29/4 - Easy run just to keep ticking over. 1.89M, 15:21, 8:08. Calf improving.

Fri 30/4 - Rest. Was in Wexford at a Confirmation until late.

Sat 1/5 - another easy run just to keep ticking over. 1.94M, 15:39, 8:04. Calf ok.
    Collected number at the Expo with the family and spent over an hour there. Chatted to Amadeus on the pacer stand, bought some gear, had pasta, met some people and even found my name on a brick outside in the "Munsterwalk" that I hadn't spotted before.

Sun 2/5 - GLR Race Report

Woke before 7am and had my normal breakfast of OJ, banana, porridge and Green Tea with a sad assortment of Tesco's finest Multivitamin, Cod Liver Oil, Glucosamine Sulphate, Vit E and Garlic capsules.

Drove into town at 8am via UL and Clare Street to check how it was looking and delighted to see the bollards in situ at UL and the Canal gates open off Clare St with stewards in position. Parked on Glenworth St just around the corner from the start area as I'd arranged to meet BB there at 8:15. Strolled around for a few minutes, soaking up the very relaxed atmosphere and got chatting to a buddy from the Tri Club. A very good vibe around the place and BB did a short warm up while I kept an eye on the gear. A nice enough mild morning weather wise with clouds and a hint of a cool breeze. Dropped our stuff, did a short stretch, used the facilities and took up position mid-pack. Very surprised at how much space there was compared to DCM. Could've picked our spot anywhere with 5 mins to go. We had intended to do a negative split run but that went out the window when the gun went just after 9am :o. Jumped alongside the 3:45 Pacer with the red balloons, started the Garmin going through the Start line and the ball was in, the game was on :).

0-5M
    The first few miles seemed to include a slightly faster pace at times than intended but we were mad to go anyway and had to rein ourselves in a bit. About 20 seemed to be in the paced group and the field developed into little pockets of runners as we went out the Dublin Rd. Spotted a Boards singlet in the group approaching the Groody R'about near 3M and introduced myself. Hunnymonster (for 'twas her) was doing her 2nd Marathon in 2 days and looked as fresh as a daisy :eek:. We started meeting the faster runners on their return of the Vistakon leg and gave them a shout out. A few WLAC singlets and familiar faces from the Tues Track sessions. The contraflow section from UL gate until the Kilmurry Junction was a bit tight for the group between the bollards once the return runners were on it but it was good to see the whole field running against you and try to spot people.

5-10M
    We'd arranged to pick up water + gels for both of us from my family at the Vistakon turnaround at 5.5M and that went smoothly. Hit the 10km mat in 54:07. A few of the Joey Tri people came out to cheer us on at the UL back gate which was cool. Respect. Back into UL by the front gate and chugging along at a steady 8:30 pace with only a few chatting in the group and it thinning out a small bit. Realised as we approached the Living Bridge that it could get wobbely with the group so sped up with BB and stuck to the left side. Probably went a little too quick for nearly 0.5M so slowed back to the group once we were back on the far bank road. Spotted Kevin7 near the Concert Hall and he took a photo (cool one -thanks Kev ;)) and then jumped in and ran a few hundred metres chatting with me before heading back to the Joey Tri. Picked up a Lucozade bottle at the 9M fuel table but only sipped it for the next 6M as didn't really feel the need for anything.

10-15M
    Down the side road to the UL Boatclub and through their yard onto the riverbank. Again BB and I sped up to negotiate this ahead of the group and basically stayed up front for 2M until we were back on public roads. I was amazed to see the open gates so fair play to the Council for sorting that out. However I didn't know if there was going to be congestion on the riverbank somewhere so we motored along that section. There was a rain shower around then but it was pleasant enough and nice running weather. I was aware that we'd clocked up a good few miles handily but that it was going to get tough soon :o. Felt fine all over including the calf but felt the pace was a bit faster than I'd handle all the way to 26.2M. My last months lack of long runs was playing on my mind a bit. Off the riverbank, down the canal and back onto public roads with no holdups. From being in the 'Zone', with the quietness of the water and the clomping of feet, quickly onto the city streets was a nice transition and we started to see more people along the route. We were on target so I knew we'd be passing close to the HM start and there'd be a buzz there as they were starting 2 hours after us. Gave them a wave and went thru HM mark in 1:52:10. Started to feel the incline up O'Connell Ave and drifted slightly until the downhill stetch got me back again. As we headed out of the city again along the Rosbrien Road I got talking to a guy in the group who turned out to be Cartman78! (Note to self - I think Boardsies need to get their own non-BAC running gear going similar to the Cyclists so as to spot people in races and out training ). Anyway it was just around then that the first HM runners caught up with us and the route got a little busier with each step after that. I started to drift a bit again so told Cartman78 to drive on as he was looking very comfortable. BB was up the front of the group most of the time and I could feel the beginning of the end starting as we hit 15M and tiredness began to accumulate.

15-20M
    But then I had a good mile and skipped back up to BB (or maybe he drifted back to me) . We trundled along a nice country road knowing that MrsBB was waiting at 17M with more water and gels for us both. I knew I needed an energy top-up but my stomach wasn't exactly relishing that idea. Sipping the lucozade bottle from 9M was keeping thirst at bay but I wasn't loving it. I don't think I'll take lucozade anymore but the idea of stopping to drink water from cups is alien to me. (However, I spoke with a friend afterwards who lives and runs in Holland who confirmed that they never have water bottles during races there so I suppose it is the future ). Picked up our supplies ok but the route was getting quite busy as the main HM field roped us in and I split from BB and followed the man with the red ballons. I held off taking the gel but I started to fade around 17.5M and drifted back from the group which had dwindled to maybe half at that stage. Slight blurred vision, a bit of nausa and cramping, very tired legs caused me to pull up around 18M just before Raheen Church and take the gel which I sadly realised then was too long since the other one at 6M. No excuses, I had a spare Iso and full gel on me over the full course and there was water available but I don't think I could've stomached it until I was forced to take it. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the first gel until later, maybe I should have only used Iso gels which I tended to use in normal LSR's. Either way my goose was cooked. BB appeared beside me then and explained that had to stop when his gel had made him sick :(. Its bad enough that we get too old to handle our drink, but not being able to handle a sugar dose just isn't right. Ahhh, the youth of today, they just don't know what's ahead of them :rolleyes:. Anyhow, we now had a downhill stretch which we could run and met my family again at the Highway around 19M with more water and gels! Had to walk up the bridge at the Crescent S.C. so BB headed away and got lost in the crowd and when I started running again the race became a bit of a blur for the next few miles :o.

20 - 26.2M
    I was watching the clock acutely at this stage as I was wondering how far off pace the walking was dragging me. My average pace up to 18M was 8:30 (Official 30km Split 2:41) and I had 21M as a rough 3hr milestone. I was only a few minutes off that but the average pace was creeping up due to a pace of 9+/M and intermitant walk breaks (Official 35km Split 3:12 => 5km in 29min = 9:17/M). Sub 4 was still up for grabs but I'd have to fight a bit for it and hope I didn't completely shut down :eek:. Lots of the HM people were passing me and it was a bit disheartening. A few guys I knew gave me a shout out and even some of the crowd in town were calling out the runners names that were printed on the numbers so that helped. Down Henry St for the second time and onto the Quays grimacing as I went and the odd stop and stretch as the cramps hit. Onto d'island with a walk over the pedestrian bridge and a nice run along by King Johns castle where my lunchtime route goes. Runners visible on both sides of the river. Spotted BB as I crossed the bridge and caught him as he pulled up approaching the Strand Hotel. He was flaked and there wasn't much to say (there never is at that stage ;)). Got going again as we passed the contraflow runners on their last mile and as we hit 22M. We split again as I pulled up to rest and he found fresh legs from somewhere. It seemed warmer around then and I finished my water. I don't remember taking my 3rd gell but I presume I did. It was a slog past Thomand Park and I felt sorry for the people trying to set up the water station there as they were swamped! They couldn't fill the cups fast enough. Stopped again heading down towards Ivans and had to massage out my locked right quad as it spasmed. One of the Traffic Management Jeep guys checked me to see if I needed 1st aid but I was more concerned with looking over my shoulder for the approach of the Sub 4:00 Pacers and their Ballons of Death! It was like looking for a dorsel fin making its way through the crowd (think Jaws ;)). I couldn't see them.....but I knew they were out there....and they were coming for ME! Checked the watch for the 50th time as the average pace hit 8:5X and the fear started to outweigh the tiredness. Gritted the teeth, squinted through the blur and set the Warp Drive to Maximum Shuffle. Didn't like the incline passing the Gaelic Grounds hitting 25M but after that the fear lifted and I had about 15mins to make the last 1.2M. My turn to be on the homeward section of the contraflow and saw 2 of my brothers slogging out the 10k run. MrsB spotted me at there as well but I didn't see her. She didn't think I looked so good. What's new? I couldn't really relax and got a shock when a pacer group (and the dreaded ballons) caught me near the Strand hotel. Thankfully it was the sub 2:00 HM group (ahead of schedule?) and I stuck with them over the bridge and close to the finish while they got the crowd cheering and held back for stragglers. I turned the last corner and thought I was the only one running when I saw the finishing line and a clear path to it and no-one around me. The crowd were cheering, the sun was shining, the clock read 3:56 and while it only took a few more seconds to reach the line, I savoured them. I clinched my fists, smiled and did the classic arms up pose crossing the line. I can't wait to see those finishline pictures because they're Keepers :D.

The aftermath
    Big crowd behind the finish line meant I couldn't figure out where I was to go and what I was to do so I just wandered over to the side and recovered for a minute. Figured I had to get out of there so got my medal, mars and snickers bars and water and headed towards the back of the crowd. Met BB who had clocked 3:52 and we were exhausted but happy campers. Saw the sub 4:00 pacers and introduced myself. Met a few buddies and got myself a foil wrap as I was cooling down fast. Decided to head back to the baggage area to get my tracksuit. Aaaaaahhh noooo, its several hundred metres away and I'm wrecked. Baby steps all the way there while feeling crap and then I get sick at the baggage area :(. The dodgy tummy finally says enough is enough. Feel better after that though and get warm clothes on. Rest for a few minutes and then stretch a bit. Home for a shower and change of clothes. Back into town (with a stop for chips enroute) to watch the Munster match and out for the evening :). Pints in Myles Breens, Curagower, the Locke (plus burger) and Nancys (plus pizza). Home for 10.30pm and slept like a baby.

Mon 3/5 - Rest, small walk to park

Tues 4/5 - Morning run 2M, 19:05, 9:32/M. Helping to get the legs moving better.

Weds 5/5- Rest. Legs not feeling bad at all. Happy days. Tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great report. I totally appreciate the bit about Gels making you sick, They actually gave me cramp at 19 miles in DCM but I only had myslef toblame for not taking them enough in training runs.

Something I have been meaning to ask for ages. Who is BB??

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great report. I totally appreciate the bit about Gels making you sick, They actually gave me cramp at 19 miles in DCM but I only had myslef toblame for not taking them enough in training runs.

Something I have been meaning to ask for ages. Who is BB??

BB is my training partner. We competed against each other at Schools Athletics in the 80's and then went to UL together and have been friends for nearly 25 years. I got him back running about 18 months ago (Nov 08) to train for a Christmas Day Run and then we went on to do some 10k's in Spring 09. He stuck with the running while I did a few Tri's last year and we decided in late summer to push on for DCM 09 if we could. He did a bit more training them me and got round that in a very decent 4:08. We figured we could improve our training so earmarked the Connemarathon as a stepping stone to hit DCM 10. Then Limerick appeared on the scene and we had to go for that instead :).

I'm a bit conflicted on the gel front as I figure I need to get the fat-burning thing going so I'm loath to take them in training but then I couldn't handle them in Limerick. There must be a fine line to be found somewhere between both camps. Iso gels might be easier on the stomach or maybe I just need to train more with the full ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm a bit conflicted on the gel front as I figure I need to get the fat-burning thing going so I'm loath to take them in training but then I couldn't handle them in Limerick. There must be a fine line to be found somewhere between both camps. Iso gels might be easier on the stomach or maybe I just need to train more with the full ones?

I remember I picked up some gels in Runways at one stage that worked for me. I mixed them with water and put it in one of my water bottles (I have a belt with 4 small bottles). This worked fine in one of the LSR's. Problem is I only bought a few of those gels and can't even remember the name. i tried some hi Fives once in a short training run (9 miles) and even for a 9 miler it made me sick. i still took a few with me for DCM :rolleyes: and obviously it didn't work
    Lesson learned: Find a gel i like early and stick with it through training and the Marathon Itself. While i would like to get my body used to fat burning, I want to be used to taking an exact type of gel this year and not experimenting on marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Redb you showed great determination that even when you were struggling near the end you seemed to be holding to just over 9 minute miles. So you dug in well.

I didnt realise the route was near to Joey Hannon, I would have come out and watched for a while as the slow wave in Joey had a lot of time to kill after registration

Another week or two of rest and you will be looking forward to giving Dublin a good go

An 11 day log update

Days 192 - 202
    Thurs 6/5 - Sun 16/5

Thurs 6/5 - Still tired from GLR. Intended going to evening Tri Swim but MrsB not well so ditched it. :o

Fri 7/5 - Morning run. 4.67M, 38:31, 8:14/M, 147bpm.
    Getting life back in the legs. Felt good.

Sat 8/5 - SFA. Family confirmation
    Sun 9/5 - SFA. Gardening / Housework :rolleyes:

Mon 10/5 - Morning run. 6.12M, 50:26, 8:14M, 139bpm.
    First decent run post marathon. Happy with it and feeling fully recovered.

Tues 11/5 - 5.31M Evening WLAC track session in UL.
    1.87M W.U. and stretches / strides. 15:27, 8:14/M
    10 x 80secs with 1 min recovery. Held back for most of them so was hitting 350m average. 2.23M, 12:46, 5:44/M, avg 137bpm, max 166bpm.
    1.21M W.D. and stretches 10:42, 8:50/M

Weds 12/5 - 750m Lunchtime swim (last swim was 19 days ago :eek: )
    1 x 50m
    7 x 100m
    Forgotton how to swim, no technique, no power. Need to get it back quick :(.

Thurs 13/5 - Morning 'tempo' run. 3.54M, 26:43, 7:33/M, Avg 147 bpm, Max 157bpm.
    Feeling good and in a hurry so went as fast as I could maintain for 2M (7:14/M) and recovered for 1.54M remainder (7:58/M). Happy with pace. Tough on legs.
    Was all set for evening Tri swim but an acute onset of sickness on the youngest meant I was on Daddy Duty instead. A bit of a bug that's been knocking around the house for the week has taken its toll to a greater or lesser extent on us all.

Fri 14/5 - 1000m Lunchtime swim
    10 x 100m. Starting to get the feel of swimming again but still lacking power.

Sat 15/5 -12.5M morning run. 1:43:50, 8:18/M, Avg 141 bpm
    Lovely morning for a run. Lots of lush greenery on the route. Mild weather.

Sun 16/5 - 25.51M evening cycle. 1:29:05, 17.2mph, 132bpm.
    Only my 3rd cycle this year :o. Running has taken most of my focus over the last few months and cycling was neglected but with the HOTW less than 6 weeks away its cramming time. Cycled out to BB's in Ballyneety where I took a well earned break (after 10km :rolleyes:). Was going to head straight back home but it was a lovely evening so headed off to Murroe and back home via the Joey route. A slow puncture meant a few stops to pump it back up so I'll have to sort that pronto.

In summary, a good week given I was recovering from the GLR. 27.5M ran, 2 swims and 1 cycle :rolleyes:

Days 203 - 204
    Mon 17/5 - Tues 18/5

Mon - 1000m lunchtime swim. 10 x 100 mostly off 2:45.
    Tried keeping up with a couple of ladies until midway before they burned me and I retreated to the slow lane.
    Intended going for a run in the evening but kids had Community Games and MrsB had to go to a meeting after.:(

Tues- 41km am cycle, 1:32:08, Avg 16.7mph, 92 rpm, 126bpm.
    Jumped onto the Joey route at 6:30am and had a good cycle with plenty of easy spinning. Changed my slow puncture last night so no probs there. Only issue was the pain in my ar$e that kicked in about 25km and which still aches. More cycling required to sort that out I think. Quiet enough route at that time of day. Came back via UL up Castletroy Hill and plenty of traffic there.

7M pm run, 58:28, Avg 8:21/M, 142bpm. Wooden legs from cycle. Plodded the whole way.:o

Days 205 - 206
    Wed 19/5 - Thurs 20/5

Weds - Got my Lost Sheep entry sorted 8am this morning. Fastest fingers first as the thread says!

1000m lunchtime swim
    1 x 50m
    6 x 150m
    1 x 50m
    Big crowd at the masters session meant even the slow lane was busy. Tried hanging on the end of a group doing 50m+150m repeats but had to drop the 50's from my set as I was out of touch by the time I'd done 25m and I was struggling to avoid being lapped in the 150's :(. Friendly bunch though and were encouraging me at the end to stick with them again the next time.

Thurs - 9M morning run, 1:17:30, 8:36/M, Avg 137 bpm, Max 149 bpm

Another 6:30am start with a nice country road run. Warm, overcast morning and I love the quiet route that involves overhanging trees that form a beautiful green tunnel on a few stretches. Hard going over the last few miles as cumulative tiredness hit the legs. Not used to such 'long' runs mid-week but they're a major part of the mileage required in the P+D schedule that I'm going to follow for DCM 10 so I better get used to them. Tired now.

Tri club swim session this evening but I've missed it the last 3 weeks so hopefully I'll be able for it. I really need to attack my swimming and cycling over the next month if I'm to make any PB inroads at all at HOTW. The GLR Marathon sucked up most of my focus over the last while and I really feel like I went off the boil there for several weeks since Easter. Feeling motivated now and will cram as much as I can in but as a wise man once said 'you can't fatten a pig the day of the fair' :rolleyes:.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.....:)

Days 206 - 212

Thurs 20/5 - Wed 26/5

Thurs eve - Tri Club Swim session. 1500m? Tough going due to the break. Several kick and catchup drills and fast start paired sprints where we had to go flat out with only 2 breaths per length. Fairly knocked the stuffing out of me :(. Not swim fit enough.

Fri - Rest day.
    Fri eve / Sat / Sun - Went to Kerry with a Scout Cub group I'm involved with. Mental :rolleyes:. 3.5hrs sleep Fri night, 5.5hrs sleep Sat night. Plenty of walking and buckets of sunshine and heat. A fantastic weekend, great craic but tiring.

Mon - 1100m lunchtime swim. 5 x 200, 1 x 100. Starting to get back into the swimming.

15.86M evening long slow run / walk. Myself and BB had intended to meet up with HunnyMonster on her Malin to Mizen run on Sun but she was actually only passing our way Mon eve so we decided to jump in then. Said 'hi' to MrsB as I ran in the door straight from work, changed and jumped in the car to meet BB. We drove our 2 cars out to 10M from where we estimated we'd meet her and left one of the cars there (Caherline). We then drove the 10M back towards her approximate location but it turned out to be further than we estimated as she'd stopped for a break and the going had been tough before that. It was after 7pm by the time we got there. Met the support crew of Amadeus, MrsA, Niall and Ray and left the 2nd car there. There were 2 other runners with her at that stage, Baza1976 plus another legend :cool:, who I was meeting for the first time. HM appeared out of the Camper Van where she'd been getting treatment on her blisters and some food and took off like a rabbit while we were standing around doing introductions and getting a pep talk from Amadeus :p. It was basically a nice slow run with walking breaks up hills and the odd stop for stretching. We kind of ran in formation some of the time with one up front slowing down approaching traffic, one behind doing the same and two with her. We joked that it was like Madonna out for a run with her bodyguards :). It was a beautiful evening for a run and HM was in good form albeit tired. Got a cheer from Baza's family and neighbours going into Newport and he ran on another 5M with us to Murroe before retracing his steps home. HM + crew ended up calling it a day around 9:20pm as it was getting dark and they had to get to their accomodation, get food and get sorted for the next day. That 9.86M section took us 2:01:23 (Avg 12:19/M, 118bpm). We were full of enthusiasm for meeting up with them again in the morning for an hour or two and the team plan was a 4:30am wakeup and running by 5:15am. However we now had to get to our cars :(. We ran/walked on another 6M (as BB's ankle started to act up) to get the first car around 10:30pm and by the time we'd gone back to the second car and arrived home it was 11.30pm. Time for something to eat and a quick nap :). MrsB was less enthusiastic however about my new cunning plan to get up to go running with HM at 4:30am, the impact that my absence would have on the following mornings plans and the fact that my family had hardly seen me since the previous week given my other training and my weekend away with the lads :confused:. Upon mature reflection :rolleyes: I decided that of course she was right and I pulled the plug on the idea. A post midnight call to BB was required to alert him to the change of plan due to the car juggling exercise required :o. Sorry HM, the spirit was willing but the mind was weak. Didn't think it through properly.

Tues - Rest (and reflection).

Weds - 1150m lunchtime swim. Approx 4:35-40 per 200m plus 30sec breaks.
    3 x 200m off 5min
    1 x 50m - Had to interupt my 200's to let 2 guys go by.
    2 x 200m off 5:10
    1 x 100m 2:16

• Advertisement

Days 213-217

Thurs 27/5 - Mon 31/5

Thurs - 4.5M run home from work. First time doing this. OK but not used to bag on back.

Eve Tri Club Tech Swim Session - 1050m? Lots of drills, some geared towards OW.

Fri - lunchtime swim 1350m. Copied most of the Masters session in own lane.
    (200m+50m) x 2
    100m x 6
    (50m+200m) x 1. Didn't have time to do the intended 2nd set.

Sat - Rest. Intended to do a LSR but didn't go early as feeling tired and then the day got away from me with family stuff so didn't force it.

Sun - 108km cycle. Happy with this. A few local neighbours (incl Kevin7) I go out with the odd time were going for a 80-100km spin at 7am so I thought I'd see how far I'd manage given my two recent 40km cycling bursts in 3 days followed by 11 days off cycling :rolleyes:. Straight out through Nenagh town to Toomevara turned for Silvermines and back through Newport, Clare Glens, Boreman Hill (?), Murroe and Boher. A few group stops to wait or sort punctures meant I got a chance to break it up into manageable sections and got home tired but happy. 2 nice hills had a decent impact as well. Need to do a few brick sessions next.

Mon - Rest. Travelling with work.

Happy with the long cycle and 4 swims last week. Not enough running for pre-DCM schedule but enough for HOTW

Days 218 - 219

Tues 1/6 - Wed 2/6

Tues - Lunchtime swim 1150m. 1 x 1000m, 1 x 150m. Nice and quiet in pool.

Evening Track session - 5k TT 21:00 :)

1.7M W.U.+strides+stretchs, 13:28, 8:03/M, Avg 145bpm
    3.25M, 21:48, 6:43/M, Avg 162bpm, Max 172bpm
    1M W.D.+stretchs, 9:26, Avg 141bpm

Ran 12.5 laps in lane 2 so hit the lap button bang on 5k mark to get my accurate split. Had another 200m to go to the end line so maybe that's not in the spirit but it is appropriate for training purposes........ ;)

Wed - Lunchtime swim 1050m
    (150m, 100m, 50m) x 2, 200m x 2, 50m x 1 - tried following the Masters session again but didn't have time or energy to do the full warm down. Busy pool.

Eve cycle 47km, 1:46:30, 26.5kph, Avg 130bpm, 87rpm, Max 148bpm, 438m ascent.
    Headed straight from town intending to hit Broadford and O'Briensbridge en route home but got lost and hit Sixmilebridge instead :rolleyes:. Spotted another cyclist near Cratloe and caught up with him on the main road. He was all decked out in nice new cycling gear and said he was training for his first Tri in Kilkee. Had just started swimming so I figured he was a complete rookie. Said he'd done the Limerick marathon. Awww so did I! He did it in 3:02 :o. Whoops, serious punter here. Nice guy though and glad of the company on the way home. Tiring spin with some hill work. Worth doing. Beautiful evening. Was delayed leaving work so late home. Precious brownie points wasted. :(

Days 220 - 227

Thurs 3/6 - Thurs 10/6

Thurs - Intended to do Tri Club swim but my brownie points ran out as I'd been 'out' 3 evenings already in a row this week and a 4th was going to upset the domestic applecart so a DNS. One of the evenings counted was when I was working in Dublin and didn't get home in time to do a GAA thing with the kids :o. Lots of games and training on there at the moment so commitments are a bit stretched. Family first :).

Fri - 9M morning run, 1:17, 8:34/M

Took a half day and headed to Kerry for the Bank Hol W'end
    Sat - Mon - rest. Some of this was just laziness as had gear with me :(.

Tues - 1250m lunchtime swim. Straight 50 lenghts. Increased from 1000m last week.

Wed - 8M morning run

1050m lunchtime swim
    (100 x 1, 50 x 1) x 3, 150 x 1, 200 x 1, 100 x 2, 50 x 1

Thur - 42km cycle, 96min, 26.2kph
    2nd 6.30am training start in a row and felt the worst of it later as I was cycling with Kevin7 and I didnt sleep well that night due to slight anxiety about sleeping in :o. Nice cycle to Cappamore though and while I headed home after, he went for the brick run :eek:. He's signed up for the Lost Sheep as well so it'll be a fun summer ahead of us :rolleyes:.

Evening Tri Club swim - 1500m TT 35:36
    First time I've done 1500m straight since last Sept so was glad just to complete it. Did 125m W.U. and led out the slow lane. Managed to pass them twice but didn't get any drafting. Dragged my 90kg up and down 60 lengths without ever really hitting great form. Calf cramp after 50+ lengths was followed by foot cramp on 55 but managed to swim through with less wall kicking. Only 2 weeks to HOTW so all I can hope for in the swim is sub 35 rather than close to 30mins. Actually quite satisfied I could manage it at all giving my sporadic swim 'training' this year. And as for my cycling.......:rolleyes:. Lets just say I'm back to survival mode again for HOTW. Only 2 weeks to go :eek: :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey at least the running is going well.. ah the joys of having to do 3 sports in one ;) Good to have a training partner with similar goals though.

Get yourself out to Worlds end on Monday nights if you can, it will bring the swim along nicely. A few spins over Gallows hill out in Cratloe will sort you out for the Lost sheep.

Get yourself out to Worlds end on Monday nights if you can, it will bring the swim along nicely.

what's Worlds end??

MarieC wrote: »
    what's Worlds end??

The World’s End is the name given to the area at the upstream end of Castleconnell, Co Limerick, where the weir, quay and rowing-club are. Its where the Tri Club do some Open Water (OW) swimming. I haven't been there myself yet but this descibes it :)http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-canal-at-the-worlds-end/

6.30pm Mon. Come on in - the water's lovely (apparently :rolleyes:) - forgot to say its wetsuit territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Hey Red - whats the story with your log? - nearly 2 weeks nothing showing!!

Are you still doing Kilkee this weekend? - best of luck if you are

DustyBin wrote: »
    Hey Red - whats the story with your log? - nearly 2 weeks nothing showing!!

Are you still doing Kilkee this weekend? - best of luck if you are

Cheers DB - its been fairly busy at work + home the last 2 weeks so didn't get a chance to get on here.

Yep, still doing Kilkee despite my best efforts to ignore it :rolleyes:. I've actually been dreading it for the last few weeks as I haven't hit it right on the training front but now that its upon me I'm just going to relax into it and try to enjoy it.
    I did my first Brick session last week with approx 30km cycle / 5km run and I was wasted. I had to stop and walk near the end of the run so that didn't auger well for an Olympic Tri. However I did another one this Monday and felt better. Similarly I did my first OW swim last week and couldn't manage much at all but this weeks OW swim felt much better so the confidence is rising. I also only looked at my Garmin stats just now and see I was running too fast in the Bricks so I just blew up early. The Garmin was set on KM for the bike (I need to change it to Multisport) and I didn't look at my running pace as I'm used to mile stats and the KM stats meant very little to me on the run. I'm also encouraged by Izoard's comment that he never does Bricks!
    I'll update the log on Sunday but I did manage a 111km cycle plus 13M run the weekend before last (on separate days ;)) so the base fitness is there. I'm just not as sharp as I'd have liked for Kilkee. The Limerick marathon meant it was mid May before I started thinking seriously about Kilkee so that was too late. I've done nothing since the brick and OW swim on Monday but its been hectic with work and a lot of tiring travel for the past 3 days. I was tempted to squeeze in another brick this morning but opted for rest and a lunchtime swim instead. Less is more right now.:)

best of luck tomorrow RedB, give it socks!! Im hoping to get back there in time to see the finish, my brother is doing it but all the rest of the crew will be in ennis of the clare10k.

Any hopes/goals timewise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for Kilkee, RedB.

Advertisement