Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

MarieC wrote: »
    best of luck tomorrow RedB, give it socks!! Im hoping to get back there in time to see the finish, my brother is doing it but all the rest of the crew will be in ennis of the clare10k.

Any hopes/goals timewise?

Thanks Marie - Enjoy the Clare10k. Hope ye get good local support.

My main hope for Kilkee is survival :rolleyes:! I hope I can hold it together for the run part and ideally get close to or under 3hrs but its unlikely.

Probable Splits:
    Swim 35min
    T1 2 min
    Cycle 90min
    T2 2 min
    Run 55min (last year was 72min :eek:)
    Total 3:04!

I'll be in Wave 2 so hoping to be finished by 1:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

RedB wrote: »
    I hope I can hold it together for the run part and ideally get close to or under 3hrs but its unlikely.

I know that one needs to be realistic, but hope for the best, be positive and give it all you've got. Was reading a triathlon book recently and it said, when doubting yourself re. challenges, dont be saying how/why you can do it, just say why not?!
    I'll be in Wave 2 so hoping to be finished by 1:30pm.

Might see ya finish so! My brother is doing it so hoping to leg back to kilkee after the 10km and give him some moral support. I can bring cake! :p

Hell of the West Time : 2:58:27 :):):)

V.v. happy with that despite caving in on the second half of the run. Got all the way up to the turn around point ok and about 300m later I just ran out of energy :rolleyes:. A walk / run strategy got me home in good time though but RedB had left the building by that time :). Delighted with my performance all things considered.

Position 357
    Swim: 30:04 (308) :)
    T1: 1:28 (271)
    Cycle 1:28:34 (319)
    T2: 0:53 (153) :)
    Run: 57:29 (422) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great swim Red, 5 minutes better than your prediction. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hell of the West Time : 2:58:27 :):):)

Great result...sounds like a tough course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Congratulations RedB! fantastic result! You must be on cloud 9 after hitting your goal. Early days yet but whats next on your events list? Have you much of a breather?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done RedB. That's great going. Nice meeting you again on Saturday

Been busy with work and family so not much chance to update the log so here goes:

Days 228 - 245

Fri 11/6 - Mon 28/6

Fri 11/6 - 750m swim. 7 x 100m , 1 x 50m. Grabbed a chance at lunch for a quick dip whilst in Tipp.

Sat 12/6 - LSR 13.13M, 1:53:30, 8:38/M, Avg 145bpm. nice easy run.

Sun 13/6 - Group cycle 111km, 4:20:17, Avg 25.6kph, 82rpm, 116bpm, 4575cal, 900m ascent. Up to Nenagh, over to Killaloe via Portroe. Round to Broadford and home via Corbally. Early start (6:45am) with the neighbours. Nice challanging route with a decent hill into Portroe.

Mon 14/6 - 1st Open Water Training Swim - World's End Castleconnell. Approx 1000m of sighting, breathing and drafting exercises incl group starts. Not happy. Hard to breath and tiring quickly.

Tues 15/6 - Rest
    Wed 16/6 - Rest

Thurs 17/6 - 6:30am 1st Brick Training Session.
    29.44km Bike - 52:08, 28.1 kph, 91rpm, 133 bpm, 1040 cal, 134m ascent
    4.76km Run - 21:40, 7.2/M, 152 bpm
    Had to stop near the end of the run. Overcooked it.

Eve - Last club tech swim session. approx 1250m drills

Fri 18/6 - Sun 20/6 Rest. Small sea swim.

Mon 21/6 - 6:30am Brick Session
    27.1Km Bike - 56:08, 29kph, 90rpm, 126bpm, 1144 cal, 150m ascent
    4.76km Run - 22:30ish, 7:30/M, 138bpm.

Eve - OW swim session. Better swim. Suit must be loosening up ;).

Tues 22/6 - Thurs 24/6 Rest

Fri 25/6 - Easy 1000m lunchtime Swim. (100m + 50m) x 4, 150m x 2, 100m x 2.

Sat 26/6 - HOTW Race Report 2:58:27
    Didn't sleep well or enough Fri night. Got my stuff all organised late that evening but my mind was ticking over too much resulting in a restless night. Up at 6am and porridge, bananna, OJ for brekkie. Out the door at 6:40am supping from a 1.5L water bottle and rolled into Kilkee just before Registration opened at 8am. Nice goody bag and Tshirt. Drove the run route after registering and met MCOS doing his stewarding stuff. Headed down to the beachfront and got the same parking spot as last year close to Transition.
    Went for a 2min cycle just to check bike was ok and in the right gear and then racked it. Stuck 3 gels on the bike with 2 water bottles with ribena+ salt added and had 2 isogels and 250ml waterbottle for the run. Mooched around for a while, chatting to a few friendly faces, soaking up the atmosphere and the gorgeous weather and then got changed around 9:15. Went for a 10min warm up run on the beach followed by stretches. All the clubs were setup with their members alongside each other so it was cool to see the colours. Pgiggo spotted me and said hello :). Only put on the wetsuit after the briefing as I was in Wave 2 and then noticed I didn't have my car key. Forget about that for now :rolleyes:. Kevin7 was also there so chatted for a bit prior to the call to the startline. Had my Garmin 305 but was concerned about wearing it in the swim so left it on the bike turned on while I wore a std stopwatch for the swim. Ambled down to the water and watched wave 1 go before getting in a few minutes later and picking a position about 2/3rds down the back of the pack. Tried a bit of sighting practice and then floated around for a while waiting for the off.
    The pack were bunched together a bit more before the siren and then we were let go. A few minutes of bumping followed before we settled. I started breathing on 2 strokes so I wouldn't get out of breath in the melee and sighted sideways off the rocks. Tried alt breathing after a while but wasn't worth it as I was cruising ok on 2. Tried finding feet but it was hard to match speed and direction so just fell in alongside the odd person and seemed to be making good progress. Nice relaxed swim the whole way around just with a bit of argey bargey on the 2 major turns at buoys. Had considered pushing the pace at one stage but glad I didn't as I was tired enough at the end but breathing strong. Sighting was a bit weak but I was watching others on my breaths as my guide. Swam all the way to the shallows as per MCOS's recommendation and started stripping off the top half of the wetsuit on the run up the beach. Spotted 28:3x on the watch exiting the water. A neighbour who I'd heard was down for a stag party spotted me as I made it to Transition and gave me a big cheer and I took this most inopportune moment to ask "Can I stay in your gaff tonight?" :P. Thumbs up! Struggled in T1 to get the rest of the suit off and socks on but not too bad. Shades, shoes and shiney helmet and I was ready to roll.
    Had a bit of a slow start on the bike as I wanted to ease myself into it. Passed by several in the first km as I found my rhythm but then started to reel people in. I think I passed about 30 but maybe 10-15 passed me. Played tag with a lady from Cork tri club as we went by each other a few times whilst taking on water, gels or at hills. Took on the 3 gels at 15min, 40min and 65min and had plenty of water. The outward stretch was great and I got a good bit of speed going on some stretches (Max downhill 58.5kph :eek:) but then we turned and the tailwind became a headwind. Struggled a bit on the way back as did everyone and fought to keep up with a College guy I knew after the Cork lady finally dropped me :rolleyes:. Managed to pull him in on the last hill and then eased back for the decline to T2. Stopwatch was showing sub 2hrs so I was feeling good but still cautious about pushing for Sub 3hrs.
    Cruised quickly through T2, grabbing a hat and gels/water efficiently enough. Took it handy from the start as I just didn't want to blow up on the run. My college guy went by me pronto but I just sat in behind a few others as we babystepped our way up the first hill of the route. Was pleasantly surprised to find it manageable enough once I took it handy but it was uphill, into the wind and quite hot and sunny so no walk in the park ;). Took an isogel after 20mins and some water but didn't need the water stop as I felt ok. That changed shortly after the turnaround as the energy just drained from me and I had to walk. No thoughts of sub3 were strong enough to revitalise me fully so I ran / walked the next few km without caring too much until I realised I had only 3km to go in 20mins to make the sub3 which was still do-able. I coaxed myself into running more and walking less and made use of the downhill tailwind now available to push me along. I was actually feeling a bit better at that stage and cruised through the finish in good form and very happy to have cracked sub 3.
    Splits 30:04/1:28/1:28:34/0:53/57:29
    A nice recovery in Transition followed with Gatorade, Apple Pie, Mars Bar, Water and Foam Rolling! Lots of happy people around and more of my friendly faces too. Got down to the sea eventually and soaked the legs in the cold water :P. After searching around I located my car key on the bonnet of my car and got my stuff sorted before giving a hand dismantling Transition and then grabbing the dinner provided at the hotel. Made contact with my neighbour who had kindly agreed to put me up and proceeded to join the Stag party he was on until I crashed and burned around 11pm. Was fairly tired at that stage but happy. A big improvement on last year's 3:26:27.

Sun 27/6 - rest
    Mon 28/6 - rest.

Day 246 - 265
    Tues 29/6 - Sun 18/7

Been fairly hectic at work / home for the last few weeks with a lot of travel so I've been fairly tired as a result and missed a lot of training. To be honest I just haven't been motivated at all either. I'm tired of being tired. Trying to get my mojo back now but a lot of work still to do so its going to be tough to fit in the required training. I've missed the start of the P+D 18 week programme for the DCM so I'm going to try to get it together for the 12 week version starting next week :eek:. The Lost Sheep is now less than 8 weeks away also so that's close enough to be a 'Clear and Present Danger' and kick my ass into action. I love a good deadline to get me firing on all cylinders but I've just been lame since HOTW. Anyway, I hope to put that behind me and ramp it back up again.

The sad story of the last few weeks.

Tues 29/6 - Fri 9/7 SFA :eek:

Sat 10/7 20km run, 1:50:29, 8:53/M, avg HR 152bpm :(, Max 165bpm. Up 272m/Down 268m, 1911 cal.
    There's a sprint tri mid-Aug at Banna Beach near Ardfert in Kerry where I've got a mobile home so I ran the bike route. I was actually very happy to clock the distance given my absence from any training in over 2 weeks. I might do that tri if I get my act together and I'm around there that w'end.

Sun 11/7 - Rest. Very stiff.

Mon 12/7 - 1000m swim. 1 x 50m, 9 x 100m, 1 x 50m. Tired in arms, shoulders.

Tues 13/7 - Thurs 15/7 SFA. Still stiff, travelling with work, working late, tired.

Fri 16/7 62km cycle, 2:29, 24.9kph, max 56kph, Avg 137bpm, 89rpm, 445/516, 2361 cal
    Parked up in Ardagh after work and cycled to Banna. Into a breeze the whole way made it a tough enough cycle on my own and was glad to reach the mobile. Did this a few times last year too so was interesting to see the Garmin stats. Its usually into the wind on the way down and uphill on the way back but a few nice downhill stretches too to hammer it. The way back is dodgey because you've got to cycle it whatever the weather on the Sun eve.

Sat 17/7 - Rest

Sun 18/7 62km cycle, 2:13, 28.1kph, max 54kph, Avg 134bpm, Max 151, 89rpm, 510/435, 2726 cal.
    Didn't feel great about this starting off as was still a bit tired from Fri and the rain clouds were nearby but the second half past Listowel was enjoyable. Nearly went head over heels speeding downhill into Athea when the road went crazy with potholes at the bottom of the hill. An oncoming Garda car gave me a dirty look as I weaved and wobbled like a mad thing :D. A few decent climbs had the legs burning and lungs going hard in places but I seem to like hills so enjoyed it. Tried practicing getting out of the saddle a few times as I never do that and I can only manage 2-3 secs before the knees cave. Only got caught in one small shower so no complaints there. No wind and car temp gauge read 18Deg when I got there about 9pm so ideal conditions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Red good to see you back. I was going to head out with the Sunday group next weekend (Sunday) but If you fancy 2 Laps of Woodcock Hill instead for some climbing practice let me know. I'm in the mood for some climbing after watching the Tour yesterday :)

• Advertisement

Hey Red good to see you back. I was going to head out with the Sunday group next weekend (Sunday) but If you fancy 2 Laps of Woodcock Hill instead for some climbing practice let me know. I'm in the mood for some climbing after watching the Tour yesterday :)

Thanks MCOS but I'll be on the rip in London this w'end with 4 of the brothers as its a 40th Birthday Bash for the next oldest guy (might try to get em to check out the London Tri also as they're getting a bit sporty too in their 'old' age;)). I'll be in Banna for most of the other w'ends this summer and I hope to get up the Connor Pass to Dingle for some of my hillwork. I might try Woodcock during the week some time as I've never done it but work is playing havoc with any plans I make so I'll just have to jump into a slot at the last minute whenever I can. Appreciate the offer though but drive on without me.

Days 266 - 267

Mon 19/7 - Tues 20/7

Mon - 1050m swim. 10 x 100m, 1 x 50m. Better than last week but I need more water time.

Tues - 13.5km run, 1:13, 8:38/M (5:24/km). Forgot to switch Garmin to Miles.
    Trying to get back on track with P+D which called for 8M today. Legs were lifeless and are stiff and tired now. I need to get back in the groove quickly.

Good to see you back at it...if we could just remove real life from the equation:)

Days 268 - 274

Weds 21/7 - Tues 27/7

Weds - Rest

Thurs - 9M Run.

Fri - Mon. Rest / in London for w'end.

Tues - 10km cycle / 5M run / 10km cycle.

Was planning an 8m run but changed the plan to hook up with my buddy BB who I hadn't seen in a month and who's going on holidays tomorrow. Cycled to his place and went straight into the run for a brick session. We both signed up for DCM 10 this week but he's nearly fully on track with the P+D 18 wk programme. I was hitting 150+ heart rate while he was hitting 140- :rolleyes: but I did have that epic 10km cycle to his place first :D. Still struggling with work / life issues on the time and energy front but my holidays are due soon so hanging in there with the hope that it'll get better then. The 12 wk P+D programme starts next week so the run mileage is going to have to jump into the 35-55M category from its current level of 13-17M :eek:. Here comes the pain :p.

Days 275 - 294

Wed 28/7 - Mon 16/8

Just back from my 2 weeks holidays in Kerry and a decent amount of running under the belt but very little cycling and practically no swimming. But we did get nice weather and had a very enjoyable holiday :).

Wed 28/7 - Sun 1/8. No exercise. V busy at work and in Dublin at w'end.

Mon 2/8 - Starting P+D 12 week 55M schedule for DCM. Not enough base miles so should be fun :o.
    8M Run, 1:07:16, 8:24/M, Avg 152bpm :eek:, Max 166bpm. Nice and easy run. No strides.

Tues - Rest. Settling into holiday mode in Banna.

Wed - 9M Run, 1:17:14, 8:33/M, Avg 154bpm :eek:, Max 161bpm. High heart rate for me.

Thurs - 44.4Km Cycle, 1:39:26, 26.8kph, Avg 133bpm, Max 179bpm, 86rpm, 286m ascent.
    Nice scenic loop around Kerry Head. Headwind adds an extra challange.

Fri - 13M run, 1:58:16, 9:05/M, Avg 145bpm, Max 159bpm. Tough LSR to Ballyheigue.

Sat - Rest. Juggling the P+D schedule slightly.

Sun - 5M recovery run, 41:18, 8:15/M, Avg 151 bpm, Max 161bpm. To Ardfert rtn.

Mon - Rest. Kids into Summer Camp at local Hotel. Yippee! :D.

Tues - 11M run, 1:36:23, 8:45/M, Avg 147bpm, Max 157bpm. To Ballyheigue rtn.

Wed - 1000m Swim. 10 x 100m, Avg 2:00-2:20 off 1 min. Waaay out of practice. Sore shoulders and arms. Struggled the whole way.

Thurs - 8M Run with 4M at 15k pace. Very happy to have managed this.
    1:05:42, Avg 8:12/M, 149bpm, Max 160bpm.
    4M @ 8:34/M and 4M @ 7:50/M. A good run at pace for me.

Fri - 40.7km cycle, 1:29:19, Avg 27.3kph, Max 51kph, Avg 135bpm, Max 159bpm, 87rpm.

Sat - 15M run, 2:19:26, 9:17/M, Avg 147bpm, Max 161bpm, 450m ascent.
    A tough run. Hot and hilly around Tralee / Ballyseedy / Blennerville. Had to stop at 11.7M for short walk. 10M was ok @ sub 9:00/M but 12M @ 9:40/M and 13-15M @ 9:50/M show I was wrecked at that stage.

Sun - 5M recovery run, 45:34, 9:05/M, Avg 141 bpm, Max 155bpm. Barefoot along beach.
    Had left it too late to enter the Banna Triathon today but was spectating and enjoyed cheering everyone on an absolutely gorgeous sunny day.

Mon - Rest

All in all I'm pretty satisfied that I'm on schedule with the P+D plan but my hopes of getting some hillwork up the Conor Pass on the bike came to nothing so I'm sure I'll pay the price for that in Kenmare. C'est la vie. Time to get swimming again also :rolleyes:.

Days 295 - 308
    Tues 17/8 - Mon 30/8

Tripple Tuesday :)
    8M am Run with 4x100m strides (supposed to be 10x100m)1:09:33, 8:41/M, 146bpm
    1000m lunchtime swim - 10 x 100m off 2:45-3:00
    35km pm cycle - Over to BB's to feed him gel and water from 15m of his 20m run.

Wed - 4M am Recovery Run, 36:15, 9:02/M, Avg 137bpm

Thurs - 11M pm Med/Long Run, 1:40:15, 9:06/M, Avg 147pm
    In Dublin with work. Ran along coast from Sandymount to Dun Laoghaire rtn.

Fri - rest.
    Train down to Kerry from Dublin after work as planning on cycling home Sun. Delibrately left the bike in Kerry last w'end as the family don't intend coming home until Monday and I'll have to do it. :rolleyes:

Sat - 4M pm Recovery Run, 36:51, 9:13/M, Avg 141bpm
    Had planned to do my long run today but tired and family now driving home tomorrow anyway so wimping out of back to back 16m run and 100km+ cycle. :(. Big hunt around Tralee for gels as forgot to bring my stash.

Sun - 16m am Long Run, 2:29:42, 9:21/M, 138bpm.
    Happier with this run. Took GU gels on 50min and 1:40min but only 1L water. Banna-Ballyheighue Seafront-Church-Ardfert-Banna. HR down at decent level now.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 5M Recovery Run, 44:23, 8:49/M, 150bpm
    500m swim 5 x 100m. Tired :o

Wed - Schedule messed up as had to go to Dublin with work. Long day.

Thurs - Lunch swim 1250m. 5 x 200m, 2 x 100m, 1 x 50m.

10M pm run with 5m at HM pace. Lactate threshold session. 1:23:33
    5.1M, 44:26, 8:43/M, 142 bpm
    4.93M, 39:07, 7:56/M, 155bpm. Happy with that.

Mrs B did the 6km run at UL so cheered her on with the kids. Good atmosphere.

Fri - 11M pm run, 1:39:42, 9:02/M, 142bpm
    Tough run. Had to stop for 2 min at 8M due to dizzyness. Might be heat or tiredness.

Sat - 35km cycle around Kerry Head. Watched Ballyheigue Tri.

Sun - 17M am run. Battery died on Garmin so no stats. 2:55? incl gel + water stops. Tough first 5m into wind. Gels at approx 5M, 10M, 14M. Took approx 2L water this time.

Mon - 5m am recovery run. No stats. Distance TBC as over 50mins.:confused:
    1200m lunchtime swim - 8 x 150m

Your lack of log posts isn't fooling anyone...enjoy the race:)

Yes for someone that complains about his swimming all the time he does some decent splits in the races he has done. Enjoy the day on sunday Red weather looks reasonably promising at the moment

LOL:D Thanks for the prompt guys! Its actually on Sat at 7am CW so I'll be thinking that you made a good call on your HIM as I roll out of bed to get my 5am porridge fix in!

I'm afraid I'm doing my last minute squeeze of training again which will probably do more harm than good! I better put something in here now even though I don't have all the detail with me.

My P+D DCM running plan has gone askew over the last week as I try to get my swims / cycles in as well. I've been a bold boy on those fronts and have SFA done in real terms. I'm back to the 'just get around' mode and enjoy the day. My original sub 6 HIM target is probably in ribbons so sub 6:20 is the goal now.

Days 309 - 318
    Tues 31/8 - Thurs 9/9

Tues - Rest. Travel with work

Wed - 1500m swim. 1 x 750, 1 x 500m, 1 x 250m

Thurs - 12M, 1:49:58, 9:10/M, 132bpm

Fri - Travel with work

Sat - 9M LT with 4M at HM Pace
    5M, 43:05, 8:37/M, 145 bpm
    4M, 32:26, 8:07/M, 158 bpm

Sun - 58.5km cycle up Woodcross Hill x 2, 2:37:22, 22.3kph, 73.5rpm, 126bpm
    Finally got to do some hill work.
    Mon - Rest. Busy with work so didn't make it to my planned lunchtime swim.

Tues - Rest. Travel with work.

Wed - 1500m lunchtime swim.
    1 x 750m
    1 x 500m
    1 x 250m

Mini VO2 run session on way home from work.
    3.5M W.U., 28:59, 8:17/M, 150bpm
    1KM, 4:27, 7:00/M, 150bpm (on UL track)
    0.34M Recovery, 3:01, 8:56/M, 153bpm
    1KM, 4:46, 7:20/M, 156bpm
    0.88M W.D.,7:37, 8:38/M, 152bpm

Thurs 35km am cycle up Cratloe hills, 1:27:15, 24.1kph, 78rpm, 122bpm

Heading for the pool now for a quick dip.

Well, the dust has settled on another Lost Sheep HIM and it isn't going to make it into my collection of finest moments......again. Survival mode due to nausea on the run meant I ended up in the 7Hr+ category for a second time and a distinct thought this time of "Never again". No excuses. I was not properly prepared....again. But the time for planning and reflecting on lessons learned is not yet here so we'll soldier on.

Days 319 - 331
    Fri 10/9 - Wed 22/9

Fri - Rest? Travel with work. 5:50am start and up to Dublin for training course on the train. Snuck out early and got the 3pm train to Killarney where I met Kevin7 (also doing it) with my bike and gear. Filled up on Pizza and rolled into Kenmare about 8pm. Registered and got our goodie bags and a nice zipped top. Watched some of last years video and hung around for the Briefing. Lots of buzz around the place. Had a look at pier and transition after. Checked into the Kenmare Bay Hotel and they were dead sound as they said we could use the Leisure Facilities after the Tri and they even had breakfast available at 5am. Messed around with gear and generally settled down about 11.30pm but sleep did not come easy or soundly.

Sat - The Big Day. Alarm went at 4:50am and we dragged ourselves down to breakfast. Several lads around and juice, cereals / big pot of porridge, tea/coffee and toast available. Perfect setup. Had 3 small bowls of porridge and coffee. Checked out just before 6am and bumped into another neighbour in the lobby. Parked up on the road to the pier and cycled down to transition. Still dark but I had a torch. Got an ok spot and started laying out my stuff. Had bags to keep stuff dry but my sticky tape for strapping gels to bike was damp and I ended up stuffing them into a bike pouch with shots. Time started evaporating and they were calling for people to head to the start line! Popped a gel. Went to pump up my tyres and had to change the connection. Not good. Getting anxious and dropping bits of it. Got it sorted but had to hit the jacks then. Tick tock, tick tock. One of the last to leave and I still had to put on my wetsuit. Dumped our boxes back in the car enroute to the start and jammed into our wetsuits with a quick lick of bodyglide and ran for the pier as 7am chimed. Luckily (?) they were late starting so we caught the very tailend of the talk but then realised I was wearing my Garmin 305 which is not waterproof :o. Meant to leave it on the bike but it was going swimming now! Last minute check of hats, zips and goggles and then waded in with the crowd.

The route was changed from last year due to high rainfall or tides or something. We had to swim out past the end of the pier and line up facing back towards the bridge. After a few minutes they let us off and the ball was in, the game was on. There was the usual argey bargey but it seemed to go on for a lot longer than usual. I got into an easy steady rhythm and tried to follow the crowd but they were spread out a lot. It took a long time to reach the first buoy and then on to the bridge where there was even more bouncing off others. The second buoy seemed an eternity away and I tried following the line of others but they'd disappear and then a few minutes later I'd be back in a mangle again. Very strange. Found visability difficult also as it was into the rising sun. Eventually rounded the 2nd buoy and headed for the 3rd one near the shore. If you think that this account is long winded then you should imagine how I was feeling. It seemed to be just going on and on and on. After the 3rd buoy I couldn't figure out where to go next so I started swimming parallel with the shore. I spotted a high vis vest which turned out to be a canoeist who directed me back out to a 4th buoy in the bay. FFS :mad:. Guess I should've paid a lot more attention at the briefing. Gave a piggyback to a guy rounding the last buoy and struggled on to the finish as cramp kicked in. Couldn't believe the current as I inched my way into the shoreline and saw the weeds bent over. I did the swim last year in 39mins and when I saw my exit time I honestly though I was walking onto the set of Lost and I had been subjected to some sort of time distortion vortex thingy. 1hour 12mins :eek:. No wonder it seemed like a long swim! I looked at the plot of the Garmin later and its like a drunk spider fell into an ink well and bounced around a map of Kenmare Bay. Crazy. Having said that the Garmin didn't like the water and recorded a distance of 5.1km and a max speed of 99mph :rolleyes:. My minimal swim training and a tough course showed me no mercy. C'est la vie.

Surprise surprise, most of the bikes were all gone which helped get me thru T1 in 2mins. Heard a friend cheering for me as I got on the bike so that was a pleasant surprise as I didn't know he'd be there.

Headed off on the cycle and my minimal bike training now got a chance to shine. It was a long drag towards Lauragh and I was passed by more than I passed. I took on a gel after 15mins and tried sipping water when I got a chance. Grinded my way up the first small hill and had a 'chickens coming home to roost' feeling. It was going to be a long day. I won't bore you with the details but it wasn't as tough as I remembered it from last year so that was a good thing but it still took me 3:12 at 24.8kph, 86rpm, 135bpm and 1116m ascent. I was even happy on the drag into Glengarriff and passing last years puncture location on the last 10km stretch. I'd a few gels and a bar, 2 x 750ml waters with a 500ml topup and I was feeling ok as I hit Kenmare.

Through T2 in 1:27 only pausing to go back for a gel. Brought a 330ml bottle and a banana with me also.

As I left T2 I only got around the corner when a bad feeling in my stomach forced me to stop as I thought I was going to be sick. My lower legs were tight too so I tried walking for a bit. No joy. The nausea stayed with me and I was only able to run 50m at a time. There wasn't many runners coming against me so that was slightly encouraging compared to last year but I could just not get moving. After several minutes I though about making myself sick so as to clear it but figured that I'd be worse then as I'd be energyless. My suspicion is that the bar (Powerbar) didn't go down well or that I took too many gels but I typically run out of energy so I was trying to avoid that. It was a ridiculous run for me considering I'd plenty of run training done but obviously not integrated properly with swim/bike/nuitrition. Met Kevin7 coming against me as we both passed the last waterstop so got some encoragement there but it was a soul-less, 'just finish it' experience generally. Some days are better than others but this just wasn't one of them. I had been counting the bodies behind me from the turnaround and from 12 at that point I was anxiously counting them down as they passed me. 12...11...10...9...8...7...6... I held it to that :( . Kevin7 was at the finish line along with a decent crowd from Waterford to cheer on us stragglers. Walked / ran the whole 21km in 2:37 at 12min/M and 130bpm.

The good news - it was a P.B. 7:05 compared to last years 7:07 :) (Kevin7 did 6:21)

Went back to the hotel and availed of the steam room, pool and (most importantly) jacussi. Bliss. Felt alive eventually and headed for Jam when I eventually felt like eating. Good grub there. Headed home with my tail between my legs.

Sun - Rest. V tired
    Mon - Rest. V tired

Tues - 750m swim (1 x 50m, 7 x 100m)

Wed - 10M pm run, 1:27, 8:42/M, Avg 142bpm, Max 156bpm.
    Trying to get back on track with P+D schedule for DCM. Disrupted for last 2 weeks.

Thurs - Rest

Fri - 12M LT pm run with BB. 1:38:43, 8:13/M, Avg 143bpm, max 165bpm. V good run. Haven't run together in months so was overdue. Meant to incl last 7M at 15k pace but BB put the foot down and we motored 3.75M at avg 7:29/M pace which is red-lining it for me. Had to slow down after that and finished the rest at 7:58/M which is more my pace. It felt good to be running that fast for that distance though as its been a while.

Sat - Rest

Sun - 20M LSR, 3:02, 9:06/M, Avg 140bpm, Max 156
    Happy with that. Took gels on the hour mark. Will shorten that as I had to stop for a minute at 19.5M as I ran out of energy.

Mon - Rest. Travel with work.

Tues - 8M VOmax am run with 4 x 600m at 5k pace.
    Did 4M w.u. at 8:28/M then hit 6:58/M, 6:23/M, 6:08/M, 6:19/M for the intervals with 2 mins (1 min walk, 1 min jog) between them and 1.75M w.d. at 9:04/M. Again, a long time since speed work so felt good to go for it.

750m lunchtime swim (7 x 100m, 1 x 50m)

Wed - 11M am run, 1:37, 8:49/M, Avg 137bpm, Max 156bpm. Increased the pace over the last 3M to 8:10-8:30/M. Tough run as was tired starting.

• Advertisement

The triathlon gods dont want you getting a sub 7 red, three punctures last year and a nightmare swim this year - what will they throw at you next year.

Well done though you would have been comfortably under 6.30 if only for the swim as the extra half hour in the water would have negatively effected the bike and run as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

A tough tough race for you there RedB.

Absolute LMAO on this line:
    I looked at the plot of the Garmin later and its like a drunk spider fell into an ink well and bounced around a map of Kenmare Bay. Crazy.
    I'ld say if I was wearing a Garmin it would have been similar. It was an unreal difficult swim. The worst part for me was getting from the 1st buoy to the bridge - every time I looked up, the bridge didn't seem like it was getting any closer!

Fair play for seeing it through.

You seem to be well back on track now with those run times. All the best with the rest of the DCM training.

Days 332 - 336
    Thurs 23/9 - Mon 27/9

Thurs - Rest

Fri - 4M Recovery with speed ( 6 x 100m strides). 33:32, 8:18/M, Avg 144bpm
    6am start to get run in before heading to Dublin at 7am for work. Actually felt fresh for the day as a result :)

Sat 7.22M incl 10km as 'tune up race' as per P+D.
    1M W.U. 8:21/M, Avg HR 140 followed by quick stretch.
    Running on my own against the Garmin so setup a 10km workout with Target Time of 45min. PB was 47:xx and its a 2010 goal to go sub 45 so thought I'd give it a lash as I was tight for time. I normally think in mile pace but as I had it set for 10km it gave me a target pace of 4:30/km which threw me a bit. It was a fast pace for me from the word go and while I was ok for the first few km, my breathing was labouring on some uphill drags after that. I got it back under control on the flat and after the turnaround I was glad of the reverse route with the gradient in my favour. The legs were feeling it too but the display on the Garmin only showed distance remaining and current pace so while I knew I was beating the target pace I'd no idea of by how much. I pushed myself the whole way as the last 1km was uphill and I knew I'd need some 'float' for that. Grit the teeth time came and I held it together to the finish in a sweet little PB of 43:47 :D 7:03/M :eek: Avg 157bpm, Max 167bpm. Very happy with that as I did a LT 3.75M at 7:29/M last week which I thought was great but this was faster for longer and a real boost to the confidence. Good stretching afterwards too as I rarely get a chance to do any but took the opportunity on this occasion.

Sun 17.25M LSR, 2:30:30, 8:44/M, Avg 143bpm, Max 162bpm.
    The 'Running Gods' giveth and the 'Running Gods' taketh away :(.
    Not a good run. Went with BB as we're back in sync for the last few weeks until DCM but of course he's fitter than me as he's been doing the full 18 wk P+D compared to my (90% followed) 12 wk schedule. He trains by HR and was aiming for 74-84%MHR as per P+D but the pace for him to achieve that was too fast for me (his HR was lower than mine due to his fitness) so he ended up going slower than he wanted and I ended up going faster than I wanted. With a PMP of 8:00/M, P+D also suggests long runs at 10-20% slower which equates to 8:48-9:36/M. I'd try to keep my pace around 9:00/M but we went out at 8:30/M where he'd probably be hitting 8:00/M. I struggled the whole way and didn't enjoy the run. I walked when taking gels at 6M and 13M and again at 15M and the whole thing felt like a slog. Maybe the previous days run took it out of me but it knocked back the confidence a bit again. Over 47M for the week though so thats not bad.

Mon - Rest. Tired but slept badly with twitching leg muscles :(

43.47 :eek::eek::eek:

That's a good bit better than my PB of 45.01, well done. You will go even quicker in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

There is no doubt a 10k pb the previous day will take it out of you for that sunday run.

catweazle wrote: »
    43.47 :eek::eek::eek:

That's a good bit better than my PB of 45.01, well done. You will go even quicker in a race.

These tune-up race sessions are probably better done in a real race alright but I couldn't find a suitable one. Guess I'll have to go head to head with BB for the next one :D. It could get ugly!
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    There is no doubt a 10k pb the previous day will take it out of you for that sunday run.

True. Can't have it everyway. Its just that the confidence was up for a while :rolleyes:

Days 337-340
    Tues 28/9 - Fri 1/10

I didn't plan out the week very well so the schedule had to get tweeked slightly. As I didn't get enough sleep Mon, it put a morning run Tues off the agenda. The evening run Tues then put a morning run Wed off the agenda. I couldn't get an opportunity Wed eve to get out until 9pm and I didn't feel like doing a 10miler at that time so I put it back to Thurs morning (supposed to be a rest day) which could have made Fri mornings 11miler difficult but it actually was grand :rolleyes:. The bottom line is I prefer to run in the morning so I should get enough sleep every night. Lack of enough decent sleep makes RedB an unhappy camper (and runner :p).

Tues 7M recovery + speed (6x100m strides), 1:00:26, 8:38/M, 145bpm, max 160bpm.

Wed Rest :o

Thurs 10M with 4MLT, 1:24:12, 8:25/M, 139bpm, max 162bpm.
    Supposed to do a VO2max session but swopped it for a Lactate Threshold as I'm weak in that regard. I haven't been doing any of the 'pace' part of my runs fast enough up until now as I was pushing just to ramp up the distances but its time for extended speed with tired legs now. First 6M at 9:10/M (Avg HR 135), last 4M at 7:17/M (Avg HR 155). Happy with that.

Fri 11M Med/Long, 1:34:39, 8:36/M, 140bpm, Max 156bpm.
    Did the first 6M at 9:05/M (Avg HR 136), last 5M at 8:05 (approx PMP)(Avg HR 150).

Happy with that too but probably need to adjust my target from sub 3:30 to sub 3:45. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I just haven't done enough quality training to justify the faster time and I'm concerned that I'd crash and burn early if I went for it (as I have done in every race I've done :(). While I'd love to go sub 3:30, wishing isn't going to make it happen. I'd prefer to be able to run the entire thing without having to pull up than to have a decent 15M split and then pay for it. I'd even be very happy with 3:3x so I'll have to think about it a bit more re which pacing group to start with. Probably the sub 3:30 for the first 1M and then drift back to the sub 3:45 :D and see how I feel at 16-18M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

so I'll have to think about it a bit more re which pacing group to start with. Probably the sub 3:30 for the first 1M and then drift back to the sub 3:45 :D and see how I feel at 16-18M.

My 2c, and this may be worth sweet **** all, but i think that if you went out with the 3.30ers from the start you would get all caught up in running with them etc and may pay for it later.

Maybe do your best to place yourself between the 3.30ers and 3.45ers and then after the first 5-6 miles when you reach the park you might be able to tell whether you can push it up a bit or stay where you are?

But, who's to say that your not ready for the 3.30ers for the whole thing ;)

ULstudent wrote: »
    My 2c, and this may be worth sweet **** all, but i think that if you went out with the 3.30ers from the start you would get all caught up in running with them etc and may pay for it later.

Maybe do your best to place yourself between the 3.30ers and 3.45ers and then after the first 5-6 miles when you reach the park you might be able to tell whether you can push it up a bit or stay where you are?

Thanks ULstudent. I think that's what I'll do alright. I've always blown up badly before 20M so I'm going to try and control it a bit better this time. I'm not sure if its a lack of proper training, too quick a pace, or improper race nutrition that gets me (or a combination of all three :rolleyes:). I think I'll pace myself off a 3:39 target and review on the day. Thats about 8:15 pace allowing for a bit of distance drift up to 26.5M. Hmmmmmm. Will continue to think about that.

Days 341 - 343
    Sat 2/10 - Mon 4/10

Sat 4M recovery run, 35:21, 8:50/M, Avg 139bpm

Sun 20M LSR, 2:56:27, 8:49/M, Avg 143bpm, Max 157bpm.

A nice run and I feel fine after it. A bit tired but no aches or stiffness. Out the Mt Shannon Road to Castleconnell and on to O'Briens Bridge. Back into Corbally via Clonlara and then home via the riverbank and UL. On my own and a beautiful sunny morning. One shower on the way back but generally nice conditions. No breeze. Had Hi5 gels at 5M, 10M and 15M but faded hard again at 19M so will try taking them at 4M intervals instead. Carried 1L water with me and topped up at Apple petrol station in Corbally. Was feeling good at 17M and thought about going for 21M+ but then the mist desended in my head and I struggled for the last mile. I had kept a handy pace (Avg 8:55/M) for the first 15M and then increased it to just under 8:30/M for the last 5M. Pretty happy again with that but can't get my head around another 6M. I know the training should allow it and the taper will kick it but it still seems unbelieveable that I could keep running comfortably beyond 20M :o. Oh well, time will tell :). Only 3 weeks to go now. Had quick food, tea and basic stretch straight after and that seemed to help the recovery process as I had to head back to UL to cheer on MrsB doing the 8k MiniMarathon which she was quite happy to complete in 43:23. The kids probably think we're running mad at the moment but thats a good thing. She was flaked after but couldn't expect much sympathy given my run! We laughed when she'd ask though :D.

52M for the week is my max ever. Supposed to be a 55M schedule but I skipped a bit around the Lost Sheep. Hopefully the bits I've done will be enough for a good run Bank Holiday Monday.

Mon - Rest day

Days 344 - 350

Tues 5/10 - Mon 11/10

Tues - 8M LT, 1:05:15, 8:09/M, Avg 144BPM, Max 161 BPM.
    3M W.U. at 9:00/M, then 4M fast(7:22,7:14,7:03,7:18), 1M W.D. at 9:18/M.

Wed - 6.25M Recovery, 56:92, 9:03/M, Avg 131bpm

Thurs - 10km Tune Up Race with W.U./W.D.
    Juggled the schedule a bit as there was a race in UL run by the Boat Club and it suited my weekend plans to do it Thurs instead of Sat. Jogged down and back from home as the W.U. / W.D. There were two 5km laps and again I was trying to use the Garmins training function to set a target pace of 7:00/M but the display was different from the normal one and I couldn't get my head around the numbers. Tried pacing off a guy I knew from the track sessions from earlier in the year but he was too fast for me and I ended up overcooking the first half and struggling badly in the second half. My 5k PB is 21:00 and that was the halfway split which was worrying :rolleyes:. Post run analysis shows mile splits of 6:52,7:08, 6:56, 7:30, 7:40, 7:19 plus change. I had the distance as slightly under the full 10km so I don't know if that'll count as a PB but my time was faster overall than my PB of 2 weeks ago. I clocked 43:47 then and 43:46 here but the results have me down for 43:42 so there's not much in it eitherway. I'm happy I was in the same ballpark as I was tempted to quit soon after the second lap started as I felt the legs going and the pace dropping. I did go out too fast and struggled over the entire second lap. Still, it served its purpose and was a decent effort for a Thursday evening with a slight bit of a breeze.
    2.39M W.U., 19:35, 8:13/M, 149bpm
    10km (6.05M), 43:46, 7:14/M, Avg 162bpm :eek:, Max 167bpm
    2.29M W.D., 24:31, 10:16/M, 135bpm

Fri - Rest. Travelling with work so had to rejig schedule.

Sat - 16M Long Run, 2:18:12, 8:38/M, Avg 145bpm
    Ran the first 10M handy (8:55/M) and then increased the pace towards PMP (8:15/M). Did the next 6M at 8:23, 8:13, 7:47 :eek:, 8:00, 8:11, 7:52 :eek: so I was happy with that. Took Hi5 gels at 4M and 8M with water and had Energise 500ml drink from 12M but didn't finish it all until after. Happy with the pace over the last few miles as I know now that I can push it a bit even with semi-tired legs. Its a balancing act between pace versus endurance and trying not to overcook it and I'm still trying to figure out what my proper PMP should be. Guess I'll know more in 2 weeks time :).
    Got a little lost on my route via O'Briens Bridge and Cloolara into UL so I had to tack on another 1.5M home at 9:46/M after a 5min walk :rolleyes:.

Sun - 4M Recovery Run with 6 x 100m strides. 35:22, 8:50/M, Avg 139bpm.
    Had a few pints and a bit of a late night with the college buddies Sat night at our 20yr reunion but we're all getting a bit sensible so nothing too mental. Tired from lack of sleep more then anything.

Mon - Rest

• Advertisement

I've decided to call it a day with this log after DCM10 as I'm not sure what I'm going to do after. No doubt there'll be a bit of philosophical ramblings still to come but it'll wind down as a training log next week :). It has helped me to try to stay disciplined over the last year but I just don't seem to be able to give the training as much energy as I'd like and I find myself physically and mentally weary a lot of the time which isn't how I want to go through life even whilst achieving some decent (for me) goals. Maybe I've been trying to do too much too soon from a low base or maybe I'm just not able or suited to it. Either way it'll be time to review the journey of a thousand miles (plus) and see where I go from here..................

Taper Time
    Days 351 - 361
    Tues 12/10 - 22/10

Tues - Rest (travel with work => schedule mixed up a bit for week as a result. Tired from w'end)

Wed - 7M Aero + speed with 8 x 100m strides, 1:02:00, 8:51/M, 137bpm
    9:09, 9:01, 9:25, 7:59, 8:06, 9:05, 9:11/M
    134,130,135,141,147,141,135bpm. Happy with low HR but was taking it easy. Still tired from w'end

Thurs - Rest (travel with work)

Fri - 5M with 6 x 100m, 41:24, 8:16/M, 147bpm

Sat - 8M LT (3WU, 4 Fast, 1 WD), 1:04:41, 8:04/M, 144bpm
    8:59, 8:53, 9:12, 7:19, 7:09, 7:02, 7:02, 8:58/M
    122, 130, 135, 150, 158, 156, 159, 149 bpm

Sun - 12M (4M WU, 8M PMP), 1:43:22, 8:36/m, 136bpm
    9:13, 9:13, 9:16, 8:56, 8:35, 8:38, 8:24, 8:16, 8:11, 8:19, 8:01, 8:08
    140, 125, 132, 134, 138, 135, 137, 138, 139, 134, 136, 140. Happy with low HR.
    Took Hi5 gels at 4M and 8M.

Mon - Rest (travel with work)

Tues - Rest

Wed - 6M, 49:55, 8:18/M, 144bpm

Thurs - Rest (travel with work)

Fri - 7M with 4M PMP, 1:02:47, 8:36/M, 139bpm
    8:50, 8:44, 8:54, 8:38, 8:09, 8:13, 8:36/M
    148, 129, 138, 140, 139, 139, 140 bpm

I've been fixating on my Target Time for DCM for the past several weeks and retreated from my dream goal of 3:30. I was then thinking of aiming for sub 3:40 but figured I'd be better off with the paced 3:45 group. My head thinks that would be sensible and would allow me to push it on during the second half if all was going well. I've bombed in all other marathon attempts and part of me would just like to hold it together all the way to the end this time! My heart however thinks I'd be unlikely to make up much time with that strategy and should not undersell myself. Therefore I'm hovering back towards sub 3:40 and even back dreaming about pushing it for sub 3:30 (My recent 43:47 10km puts me at 3:25 using the McMillan Running Calculator :rolleyes:). By the time I'll know which is the right strategy it'll be too late to do anything about it. One of the other threads had a line about thinking like a Taliban Suicide Bomber where they're ok with blowing up as its in a good cause and I know what they mean :o. I don't know if I'll ever be back in this position again re even doing a marathon, having put in a reasonable years (interupted) training and being injury free. MrsB is shaking her head at me so I've got this 'now or never' vibe going on but also the ghosts of previous races. I think most of my previous problems were associated with poor race nuitrition and lack of proper training. I hope I'll be ok on the nuitrition front as I plan on taking gels every 4M from the start but I'm not sure if I've enough training done for Sub 3:30. My buddy BB is going for sub 3:30 but he was on the 18wk P+D while I did the 12 wk schedule and a bad Lost Sheep HIM Tri as well (guess I'm a sucker for underpreparation). Most of this ramble is probably associated with Taper Madness and I was feeling particularly f*cked up early in the week. I'm in two minds as to lay up or let it rip. There is no right answer. Guess I'll be the guy flipping a coin around 8:30am Mon morning........................

Advertisement