Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I would have no reason to refuse..."

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭

Looks, like Jean-Claude Juncker has "declared" his interest in the positon of President of the European Council.

Or, as he aptly puts it:
    I have learned that you must never declare yourself a candidate for such a post. You must let others ask you to take it. If I received such a call, I would have no reason to refuse to hear it.

Link to the story is http://euobserver.com/9/28891

Since, he has a reputation as being the "Mr Fix-It" of the European Council he would, to my mind, appear to be a good possibility for the position.

Comments, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I've been cranking on about him getting the position since Blair's name popped up, and I'd very much want him to get it over Blair. Because more so then any other candidate he would bring the whole thing down to earth and focus the media on what the job actually does then what they presume it does. Which if Blair got it, the british media would blow the whole thing out of porportion and could start a bad precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I've been cranking on about him getting the position since Blair's name popped up, and I'd very much want him to get it over Blair. Because more so then any other candidate he would bring the whole thing down to earth and focus the media on what the job actually does then what they presume it does. Which if Blair got it, the british media would blow the whole thing out of porportion and could start a bad precedent.

I'd agree - I want a boring Presidency that gets on with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

I've been saying for a while that he'd be a good President (prob deserves to be the favourite imo). He's from a small, non-threatening country right at the heart of Europe and he's deeply involved in European affairs e.g. helping us get our guarantees for Lisbon. Plus he's an integrationist so it'll go down well with the Europhiles. A perfect man for the post in the eyes of the older MS (Belgium, Holland etc are particularly integrationist).

It just remains to be seen if he will be too "European" for the brits or the newer MS.

I wouldn't be able to bear it if Blair somehow managed to swing it.

Advertisement