Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year BBS accounting case study

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Risteard wrote: »
    He does, he gave us all the Sales and Purchases and the returns, the Cheque Payments account and the Control Accounts.

I couldn't imagine doing it in one night, it would be very stressful.

Yeah I thought as much, thats good of him though as it provides direction to whether you are on the right track or not.

I used to have notes from when I did that module, but I gave them away to someone last year who needed them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

Risteard wrote: »
    He does, he gave us all the Sales and Purchases and the returns, the Cheque Payments account and the Control Accounts.

I couldn't imagine doing it in one night, it would be very stressful.

What are the figures for cheque payments and the control accounts. I know my day books are fine thank god.

Is it to late to go to a lab and say i need help?

So im better off just doing it in the book? That does seem likely as i stopped going once he started doing the trial balance in the labs since i wasnt that far and i found it a waste of time siiting there for an hour when it had no relevance to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Cheque Payments is €70331 and Discount Rec. is €1350

Debtors Control: €28150 I think and the Creditors Control is €8750

If you haven't been doing the excel, I'd say you're better off to just leave it and focus on the book.

Ive been doing excel its just some prepayment stuff got me confused so i fell behind. Is it ok to do vlookup so it does an individual cell or are you suppose to use it so it fills the entire debtors ledger? Sorry iff im confusing the issue here

I used the Vlookup to fill the Debtors and Creditor's ledger from the Books of Original Entry.

• Advertisement

yes but did you enter the formula in each cell or is there a way where you enter the formula once and it fills the entire account?

For one account e.g. O'Leary, I filled in one cell and dragged it down and it filled in the Sales part. Then for the Sales returns, I had to fill in another and drag it down to fill in the Sales Returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emma20

hey.....does anyone have the balance sheet done, fixed asset register and cash flow? it's impossible :( my figures balanced for preliminary trial b and adjusted trial b but final trial bal not balancing??:(

This case study is the bane of my life:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Everyone,

I am extending the case study deadline to Week 12:

Thursday November 26, 4pm, S104

Regards

John

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

anyone have the income statement a/c in nominal done?
    im not sure if mine is right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

any one want to tell me how to do vlookup got very confused in the lab!! if not can i just type all the figures in maually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Its nice to see a lecturer give an extension to a project.
    Especially when it appears that a lot of students are struggling with it.

I peer mentor some 1st year students, and I cant believe that the current BBS class [and law and accounting] are doing the same case study I did when I was in 2nd year [the new BBS course has John Heneghan in 1st year]
    What a lazy *ahem* he is...he could at least update his material! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I cannot give solutions to anyone, as I dont have the case study anymore, I did search for it though!

Best of luck with it all...afaik the preliminary trial balance is 181,721 iirc [or at least something very close to that...its late right now]

Mossin wrote: »
    Best of luck with it all...afaik the preliminary trial balance is 181,721 iirc [or at least something very close to that...its late right now]

Yep, we were given that figure in the labs. Now I just have to make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I got an e-mail from the lecturer saying that the deadline has been extended to Thur 4pm next week.

I've emailed him to ask if this applies to the Excel submission also.

Re: Mossin

Yeah, that makes sense. Loads of people (including myself) at a loss to the workings of the Case Study i.e double entries for some transactions.

Edit: The E-mail I received:
    Everyone,

I am extending the case study deadline to Week 12:

Thursday November 26, 4pm, S104

Regards

John

• Registered Users Posts: 36 THEDUDEINWHITE

Any one got any more figures?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How the fook do you do the Bank recon statement on pg 37

Your balance as per bank statement is the last balance figure in the bank statement.

Look for the cheques (by way of cheque numbers) that are not included in the bank statement. They are 23999, 24002 and 24003 for the record.

And hey presto.

Your balance as per Nominal Ledger should be a credit balance.

Hope this helps.

Your balance as per bank statement is the last balance figure in the bank statement.

Look for the cheques (by way of cheque numbers) that are not included in the bank statement. They are 23999, 24002 and 24003 for the record.

And hey presto.

Your balance as per Nominal Ledger should be a credit balance.

Hope this helps.
    Think your going to too many accounting lectures, your sounding like John :p

Think your going to too many accounting lectures, your sounding like John :p

I'm just handing out the jewels here people.....:pac:

Is 181,721 the balance for the preliminary trial balance or the extended one?

And whats the difference between the 2? Because you need some of the post trial balance adjustments to get figures for the preliminary trial bal.

Or are you not supposed to do that?

• Advertisement

Ok anyone have a balance for income statement in section 4?

It's all over. :)

It's all over. :)
    Thank God
    I think doing accounting for leaving didn't actually help, tended to over complicate everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but is anyone else doing the case study this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Yep I'm doing it this year :L Do you dread it as much as I do?? lol :) Not even finished the first section yet :o

Im on section 3

Well that makes me feel terrible :L Thanks :P How long did it take u to get there?? :)

started monday just gone (the 11th)

Ah I should be grand so... Personally I think for the work that has to go into it it's stupid it's only worth like 15%

• Advertisement

sections 1 and 2 are most of the work

Advertisement