Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help finding a computer!!!

• 27-10-2009 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm looking for a computer but finding it difficult to find the right one for me!! I want a computer thats able to play games such as call of duty without any lag when online, also i would like it to have MS home and student preinstalled for things such as school work! but mainly i want it for surfing the web, listening to music and any other applications that i might add later such as CAD programs!!If you could suggest any good sites or give a rough estimate of the specs i would need for a computer with this stuff!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Well the lag is nearly always based on your internet connection rather than your card.

As for getting mircosoft stuff pre-installed when you buy it that really depends on the vendor you buy the system off but if its the student versions they would be cheap to buy compared to the full commercial suites.

Most of the cad programmes use up loads of system resources and can make very good pc set-ups(game wise) struggle.

As for pre built gaming systems I have had 2 dell XPS systems before and they where grand for gaming.

If you have the know how (or willing to learn) I would recommend build your own.

EDIT:here's the link to dell website,the XPS systems are on the left hand side,down a bit.I also noticed that they are selling Alienware gaming systems that I believe have a good reputation(but I always thought were seriously expensive.http://ireland.dell.com/ie/en/home/Desktops/ct.aspx?refid=desktops&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Needs!Answers!!

Thanks that helps!! You mention dell xps!! i have heard dell are terrible is this a rumor or have you had any problems with them????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Me personaly no.I think they are ok for what you get.Like I said I build my own now so if the pc is unstable or goes on fire its my own fault.

One way to check any pre made game system is to google for a review of that system and see what it gets.

Was just thinking about you using cad.Do you know what software you will be using?You can always check and see the system requirements for it and cross reference it with the pc you are looking at to see how it would run.

Build your own:) not that much to it if the planning is done right plus the building and upgrades forum here will give you a helping hand

Processor {Speed}: Q8400 Core 2 Quad 3.00Ghz
    Memory {Performance}: 8GB DDR2 1066Mhz {Intel P45}
    Hard Disk {Storage}: 1 TB [1000GB] Hard Disk Drive
    Optical Drive: Optical DVD 16X Rewriter ......
    Video Card {Graphics}: Nvidia 9600GT 2GB Dual DVI
    Sound Card {Audio}: 6 Chanel High Definition Audio
    Keyboard & Mouse: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
    Office Software: MS Office Home and Student
    Operating System O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Networking {Broadband}: 10/100 & Wifi Wireless
    2nd Optical Drive: 20X DVD Rewriter

If this is not good could you refer me to a site in the uk or ireland where i could find a good system??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Don't get excited about that price...

Cause that won't play many games!

What resolution of a screen do you have?

The build which i've put below will play any game at high settings for quite a while to come.
    the components are from hardwareversand.de and they build it for you for €20.

You'll have to get the W7 and Office suite from somewhere else.
    I would recommend that you don't bother with microsoft office and just get Open Office instead. It's a free download from the internet.

If you want to stop your lag then you should use a wired connection not wireless.

you can get the windows 7 here
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173791

• Advertisement

Ok it seems in not being clear!! The only games i want to be able to play are call of duty modern warfare 1 and 2, age of empires, Eve and black and white 1 and 2!!! thats about it!!!! other than that i just want the computer for music, videos, photos and internet as well as all the Microsoft applications such as word, exel, powerpoint ect... If the specs i put up are good enough to handle what i've said than could you please tell me or direct me to somewhere i can find a good computer that can handle it!!!!

Can somebody please help me out as i have been looking for a computer since christmas and i'm getting so pissed of with my current computer i think i'm going to throw it off a very high building soon!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

AS a gamer i,d go with windows 7 32 bit max memory 4gig.AS 64 windows os may not be compatible for all games and programs.32bit os can only use 3.5gig ram.BUT thats all you,ll need .
    SEE HERE http://www.tomshardware.com/news/call-duty-modern-warfare-requirements,8922.html so you need graphics card with cell shader 3 at least 256meg graphics ram.CPU at least 3.2ghz pentium 4 single core.
    SO i suggest buy the cheapest dell pc 449euros dual core cpu 2.9ghz intel ,then you can add to your order a dell 21inch widescreen monitor.
    GET the dell pc e7500 with the radeon 4350 graphics card.
    Dont pay more than 250euro for the monitor.
    You can customise add 1gig ram bring the ram upto 4gig ,but windows 32bit can only use 3.5gig.
    That e7500 will do all you need , eg for cod4 the min spec is cpu dual core 2.4 1gig ram.
    THE internet acess speed/lag is up to your isp and broadband package and the distance from your home to the nearest phone exchange.GET a least 2meg bb
    if its avaidable where you live .Many programs dont work on win7 64bit cos they are designed
    for xp especially older games.THERES no point in getting a pc with onbord /motherboard graphics card if you are interested in gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

GET A MONITOR like this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=431103 22inch
    widescreen with both hdmi and dvi connectors, ie you could use it as a blueray dvd display ,dell is not the cheapest place in regard to buying pc monitors.
    YOU can use it to watch movies from any device that has hdmi out,when not using the pc.

Advertisement