Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant 'wars' or just plain greed?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭

Just seen this on Galway News.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/9262-039proliferation039-takeaways-salthill-leading-food-wars

Are they just being greedy? Wasn't too long ago that they themselves moved one of their restaurants into a larger premises and their two restaurants are quite successful so why the moaning I just do not know. Salthill has great potential so any injection of business can only be a good thing. Can it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pure greed imho. They are one of the success stories of restaurants in Galway, now they don't want anyone to take that away from them. Their arguments are flawed (again imho)

Not really!!..... So if i open a shop and do well with it, i can't complain if another shop wants to move in next door?

There's no need for another restaurant in that part of Salthill.

I totally agree with them, you have ''The Galleon'' across the road, their own place, the Polish bar does food, and there's at least two or three Asian restaurants on that side of the road.. and if you want to move another 50 yards you can add in ''Oslo'' and the two take-aways,.

Just because they worked their way up doesn't mean they should welcome yet another threat to their business, it's not like they're objecting to a second restaurant in the vicinity

Not really!!..... So if i open a shop and do well with it, i can't complain if another shop wants to move in next door?

There's no need for another restaurant in that part of Salthill.

I totally agree with them, you have ''The Galleon'' across the road, their own place, the Polish bar does food, and there's at least two or three Asian restaurants on that side of the road.. and if you want to move another 50 yards you can add in ''Oslo'' and the two take-aways,.

Just because they worked their way up doesn't mean they should welcome yet another threat to their business, it's not like they're objecting to a second restaurant in the vicinity

I'm sure there was enough restaurants in Salthill before this crowd showed up and opened up TWO more.

More restaurants = more variety and competition, which is good for the customer, so I welcome another restaurant to the area. Too bad if the owner's can't take some competition; that's business

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm sure there was enough restaurants in Salthill before this crowd showed up and opened up TWO more.

More restaurants = more variety and competition, which is good for the customer, so I welcome another restaurant to the area. Too bad if the owner's can't take some competition; that's business

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Funny that they didn't (feel free to correct me here) object to the Indian restaurant and take-away which opened about two weeks ago in their old premises...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Don't understand how the Pieris can object to a takeaway as presenting a competitive danger to their businesses. Lovely though their restaurants are, they provide anything but fast food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Rumour has it that the restaurant in question is going to be a "Milanos" hence the opposittion.
    Had to laugh when the objectors pointed out the lack of car parking spaces outside the new place,when robertas is well known for its massive car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

kinetic wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the restaurant in question is going to be a "Milanos" hence the opposittion.
    Had to laugh when the objectors pointed out the lack of car parking spaces outside the new place,when robertas is well known for its massive car park!

Aaah, so now we are getting to the root of their objection. A Milanos in Salthill would do very well indeed. It would also be priced more competitively than Da Robertas and their pizzas are much nicer as well. Roll on the new restaurant. As a previous poster indicated, we live in a time of competition and it is in the interests of the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 moimeme24

excellent news if true that milanos is coming... da robertas is over priced garbage, competition is a great thing:D

Also heard from the grapevine that the smaller of the DaRoberta's is closing down. (Not going to go into the details as to why)

And no, I don't have a 'link' to the source of this info

• Advertisement

moimeme24 wrote: »
    excellent news if true that milanos is coming... da robertas is over priced garbage, competition is a great thing:D

Could you please not call someone's business garbage without backing up that damning claim with a reason? If you had a bad experience there it's better to elaborate than just insult the place.

I've no connection with or loyalty to the place, I hasten to add, but it's not on to say something like that without a decent reason.

Cadiz wrote: »
    Could you please not call someone's business garbage without backing up that damning claim with a reason? If you had a bad experience there it's better to elaborate than just insult the place.

I've no connection with or loyalty to the place, I hasten to add, but it's not on to say something like that without a decent reason.

yes the food is over priced rubbish, my opinion dude sorry if that doesnt sit well with you

roll on milanos .............. far superior in terms of food and service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I've been to both old and new premises about a 15 over the past 18 months.

First 5 or 6 times it was fantastic :), the last three not so much :(.

The food was bland, seemed pre-made, the food was skimpy (the pizza and garlic bread were like crackers).
    And the seating arrangement was/is atrocious. The last time i was there our table was connected to another (not literally, but maybe 1 inch between both, quite literally), so close in fact that the guy at the opposite table to my left began drinking my water by accident.:confused:

I feel the Pieris had got so greedy with the amount of business they were getting that they refused to be humble with it. just my 2cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

roll on milanos .............. far superior in terms of food and service

Troll with a grudge obviously...

Personally I'd like to see the area have more in the way of nice restaurants and bars. Salthill needs all the help it can get at this stage.

It'll be a pity if It's a Milanos though... yet another crappy brit franchise taking over our streets....

citycentre wrote: »
    Troll with a grudge obviously...

no just an unsatisfied customer and friends of mine have voiced the same opinion...... bland overpriced food, crappy seating and dire service

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Overpriced garbage is Milanos. They're an international chain and they can't even scrape together a decent recipe for the most basic of pasta dishes. 13 euro for a pizza with a hole in the middle of it and about three rocket leaves is what is overpriced.

If it is a Milanos that is proposed to go in there then I can totally understand their reasoning for objecting.If it's not then I don't think they have a leg to stand on seeing as they have two restaurants. Da Robertas seems to do pretty well midweek also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hmm, well I do see how they would be p**sed off if it is a Milanos, similar cuisine. I have actually found the Milanos in town to be mostly good, the staff are sound.
    Competition is a good thing imo, so if Da Robertas is still the superior place, it will still get the business. May lose a bit due to 'cheap eat' exodus, depending on the competition, but a lot of people still choose quality. Perhaps moreso if it is a special occasion due to tightening the belt.

I still maintain that Bistro Bianchoni in Westside has the best pizza this side of the Atlantic (not counting Italy). Costs a bit more, but worth it. They do deals too, so it often works out cheaper than the chains.

yes the food is over priced rubbish, my opinion dude sorry if that doesnt sit well with you

It doesn't matter whether your opinion sits well with me or not, that's not relevant. But if you are going to slag off someone's business you need to substantiate what you're saying with valid reasons.

You don't seem to be able to do this. Which means your opinion has zero credibility, and that's the way it will be viewed. And renders your postings pretty pointless really.

It doesn't matter whether your opinion sits well with me or not, that's not relevant. But if you are going to slag off someone's business you need to substantiate what you're saying with valid reasons.

You don't seem to be able to do this. Which means your opinion has zero credibility, and that's the way it will be viewed. And renders your postings pretty pointless really.
    if you actually read my posts, BLAND FOOD, POOR SERVICE, CROWDED SEATING ARRANGEMENTS, valid reasons enough to come to the conclusion that it is overpriced and over rated!!!!!:rolleyes:
    If you look through the thread I am not the only person with this view!

• Advertisement

if you actually read my posts, BLAND FOOD, POOR SERVICE, CROWDED SEATING ARRANGEMENTS, valid reasons enough to come to the conclusion that it is overpriced and over rated!!!!!:rolleyes:
    If you look through the thread I am not the only person with this view!

You only provided the slimmest of extra detail beyond the throwaway 'garbage' and 'overpriced rubbish' when it was pointed out to you that to not you come across as either a troll or a person with a grudge otherwise.

Rolling of eyes and shouting - really helping your credibility there also by the way :cool:

You only provided the slimmest of extra detail beyond the throwaway 'garbage' and 'overpriced rubbish' when it was pointed out to you that to not you come across as either a troll or a person with a grudge otherwise.

Rolling of eyes and shouting - really helping your credibility there also by the way :cool:
    i will assure you i am neither :) and i wasnt shouting just merely emphasizing
    my point!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Da Roberta's: suck it up, that's competition for you!
    Milanos: very over-priced, mediocre food at best.

Either way, I think it's better for a locality to have a business in a premises rather than having an empty building. Doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

moimeme24, read the charter. Slagging business without proper backup = slap on the wrist.

i will assure you i am neither :) and i wasnt shouting just merely emphasizing
    my point!!!!

Caps in a post is considered shouting. You have to be making a point in order to emphasise one.

Had a mooch around planning docs etc. Can't find mention of Milano so far (I also looked under Pizza Hut, which is the company holding name, I think?)..

But any sit-down model of restaurant even if it's not an Italian would be bound to put the frighteners on neighbouring ones, it's such a small 'feeding ground'..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hmm, did you register just to slag off a business? New poster, clearly didn't read the charter, and all you can say is Da Robertas is garbage :rolleyes:

I like both, they both fill a role. Milanos is great for cheap and cheerful sit down pizza with friends, not the best pizza in town but not bad. Service is good.
    Da Robertas is great for pizza and proper pasta dishes, more authentic Italian feel, not surprising considering the Italian staff, service is good too, especially if you are a regular, and their wine list is pretty good. Even if Milanos opens next door, they will still do well cos people recognise quality.

IMO Da Robertas > Milano

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

i have to say Robertas is a resturant...Milanos is a glorified "posh" pizza hut.

Yeah I like both but I'd see them as totally different kinds of restaurant offerings.

Milano - always reliable, always good service, you know exactly what you're getting and it's going to be fine/good. But it's a bit 'acme Italian' a predictable chain restaurant experience.

Da Robertas and the other one - sometimes you wait ages, sometimes they feck up your booking, it can all be a bit eccentric, but it's a more authentic, individual experience. The food is top when it's at its best, but you can get the odd wobble!

(Although I should add it's a year since I've been in Da Robertas or the other Pieri one but have been to both lots).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Had a mooch around planning docs etc. Can't find mention of Milano so far (I also looked under Pizza Hut, which is the company holding name, I think?)..

But any sit-down model of restaurant even if it's not an Italian would be bound to put the frighteners on neighbouring ones, it's such a small 'feeding ground'..

pizza express

Advertisement