Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game refund

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So....here's the story:

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Unreal Tournament 3. At the time we were told that there would be a linux version of the game (I do not have a windows machine). If you do not know what linux is, pretend I'm saying "mac", because the mac people were told the same thing.

So I pre-ordered a copy. We were told that Epic (the game maker) was going to release a linux version shortly after release day. So I waited. Patiently.

It is now over 2 years on. My game is still in the shrink wrap. Epic have recently all but stated that there will be no linux client (see here).

So....what are my options?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Not sure about it but if it doesn't list "Linux" as a system requirement, could they cover themselves that way as it was baught with persumption the requirements were understood, I'd say thats what the shop will tell you :( ,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Khannie, forgive me for asking this, but why did you buy a PC compatible version in the first place? It might help clarify the situation for me.

I don't think that you have any comeback however. It is up to you to ensure that the system requirements on the game are suitable for you.

Perhaps flog it on Adverts - if it's worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The computer is a PC. It can run Windows, or in my case, Linux. It was advertised that there would be a linux client. I mean, I didn't go and buy something that was never going to work on my computer (it's not like buying an xbox 360 game, then being pissed that it doesn't run on your Wii). I bought something that I was told would work with my computer. Now they're effectively saying it never will (which is a change).

Am I making sense? In short, I got short changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest I don't think that you are going to get anywhere. They will either deny that you were told that, claim it was your responsibility to investigate before purchase or claim the store is under new management and hence the can't refund.

After two years I would write off the money or else try and sell the game on ebay etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does the package you have list Linux as a supported system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Would you not have to buy the game again when a linux version came out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Just checked there , it's gold on the wine compatibility list.

problem solved, you can play it with wine.

Does the package you have list Linux as a supported system?

Pretty sure it does. They did say there would be linux support. I'll verify when I get home.

jhegarty: There is no linux version coming. :( Didn't know that about its wine status. I'd rather get a refund at this stage though tbh. I feel shafted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Khannie wrote: »
    Pretty sure it does. They did say there would be linux support. I'll verify when I get home.

jhegarty: There is no linux version coming. :( Didn't know that about its wine status. I'd rather get a refund at this stage though tbh. I feel shafted.
    I highly doubt it will state on it that it requires or support Linux on the box and your chance for a refund is nil.

You bought a PC game that is fully operational on any PC with Windows which will be listed as a requirement. It is not the stores fault you bought the game in hope that it would one day work on Linux (which would require a specific copy for Linux most likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

the only thing what would have worked from the game probably would have been the cd key, also on the game box it probably lists a windows version as a requirment and not mac or linux. surley as a linux user you would have known that a windows program wasnt going to work. thats why wine is around and why developers have different versions.

You've no hope of being refunded as the requirments are listed on the back. I understand that they said a linux version was coming but it would be silly to buy something windows based until a linux version came out and was 100% available.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    It is not the stores fault you bought the game in hope that it would one day work on Linux (which would require a specific copy for Linux most likely).
    MacGyver wrote: »
    surley as a linux user you would have known that a windows program wasnt going to work. thats why wine is around and why developers have different versions.

Lads, you're missing the point / misinunderstanding me. I did NOT buy a Windows game hoping that it would one day work with linux. I bought the correct version of UT3.

I'm going to use Unreal Tournament 2004 as an example. The windows and linux versions were shipped on the same CD. UT3 was supposed to be the same. They both use the exact same files with only one or two exceptions.

Epic said that there WOULD be linux support but that the linux specific installer wouldn't make the initial ship date so you would have to download it as soon as it became available. That's the only thing missing from the DVD and it's only missing because they're "late" shipping it. If you were EVER going to play UT3 on linux you were going to need the DVD which I bought. They are now 2 years late shipping it and have unambiguously stated now that it may never come.

I had held off looking for a refund because I was going to need the DVD as soon as they released the linux client for both the licence key and the data on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think you waited too long. Can't see you getting any satisfaction after such a large amount of time.

Ah, that makes sense Khannie. Have you tried to get in contact with Epic to see if they can offer you anything?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And I will have to repeat myself; unless it specifically states on the box that it supports Linux you have no case for a refund no matter what Epic said they would deliver later.

Your only bet then is to go to Epic directly and hope they will refund you but I'd say that chance is slim.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

So....here's the story:

A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Unreal Tournament 3. At the time we were told that there would be a linux version of the game (I do not have a windows machine). If you do not know what linux is, pretend I'm saying "mac", because the mac people were told the same thing.

So I pre-ordered a copy. We were told that Epic (the game maker) was going to release a linux version shortly after release day. So I waited. Patiently.

It is now over 2 years on. My game is still in the shrink wrap. Epic have recently all but stated that there will be no linux client (see here).

So....what are my options?

When you say "we were told" who did the telling ? - if a shop assistant said this at the time then you do have grounds for a refund even after this time as the item was not as described.

If however you bought the product as is from a game retailler based on promised made by the manufacturer / publisher being Epic and the packaging does not mention linux etc then you unfortunately don't have a legal leg to stand on as the contract of sale is with the retailer who delivered what they described.

I can't see what harm it would do to contact epic directly and see how you go. :)

Nody wrote: »
    And I will have to repeat myself; unless it specifically states on the box that it supports Linux you have no case for a refund no matter what Epic said they would deliver later.

Let's assume for now that it does. I'm confident that it does but I forgot to check last night.
    dudara wrote: »
    Ah, that makes sense Khannie. Have you tried to get in contact with Epic to see if they can offer you anything?

I did. I posted a message on the epic forums asking. The thread was immediately locked. The administrator said to go to whoever I purchased it from (play.com). Now I know that's folly. Essentially, Epic have refused to refund me.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I would contact them directly through customer services / offices rather than going through a public message board. You may find them a lot more agreeable in private otherwise they could set a public precedent that may lead to a flood of refund claims.

Let's assume for now that it does. I'm confident that it does but I forgot to check last night.
    If it does state Linux support you'll have to try to claim it back as not fit for use and hope play.com will agree; after two years it is unlikely they would be keen on a refund though.

As Pat from Gamesnash.ie has said, I'd say that you should get in touch with them directly via Customer Services. Much better chance that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jhegarty wrote: »
    Would you not have to buy the game again when a linux version came out ?
    Thats what I was thinking.
    pretend I'm saying "mac", because the mac people were told the same thing.
    I presume the mac version would be different again.
    If it said it had linux support on the box then surley it would have had it at that time?
    We were told that Epic (the game maker) was going to release a linux version shortly after release day.
    So would this be a full new package, or a update patch or something.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go through customer service (though I couldn't find it easily and that's why I went through the message boards initially).
    rubadub wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking.

The game is dead now. I'm not really interested in playing it to be honest.
    I presume the mac version would be different again.

Same disc actually. The code for the linux and mac versions would be more or less identical. The game is in 2 parts effectively:

1) the client
    and
    2) the data (maps, character skins, etc.)

The client is a small part, easily downloadable and that's what varies between windows / linux / mac. The linux and mac versions would share almost exactly the same codebase.
    If it said it had linux support on the box then surley it would have had it at that time?

Not necessarily. I'll check though.

So would this be a full new package, or a update patch or something.

Yeah, you'd download a small installer, which would run, access the disk for the data files and install away. Similar to a patch alright.

Advertisement