Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your thesis online: would you do it?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about putting my PhD online as a fair few people have asked me for it and it makes a lot more financial sense than charging everybody €50 per copy.

However, does UCD have this facility yet, or are they planning on setting it up? There are plenty of non-UCD theses from across the world online but I was sort of hoping all UCD students or even NUI students could have a repository where their theses could be available (if the authors' want it)

For that matter, are we actually allowed put our own thesis online; apparently after 3 years the thesis becomes the property of UCD, which sounds very odd (I'm open to correction there)

At any rate, where else could I store my thesis online so that people can find it through a simple google search of keywords? (but where I am allowed to remove it at any point)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

UCD's Library Thesis Request Form states unambiguously that "the copyright of a thesis resides with the author". and "Where a thesis has been submitted within the last 3 years, consultation is subject to the authors consent."

In other words, if I read that correctly, UCD has no copyright control over your thesis, and in the first three years you can elect to keep it unavailable for viewing. Even then, before or after the three years, letting people see it does not constitute any assignment of your copyright to anyone else i.e. it's all yours, but you effectively grant UCD a license to let people see it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mahack3r

I did that using laTeX2HTML to make web pages from my thesis. It makes hyperlinks from the table of contents, so it's quick to navigate and to load. I think most search engines can index PDF as well, but with diagrams it could take 30 seconds or so to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

As an undergraduate I would love to see UCD post doctoral theses from its students.

The amount of times I have gone looking for information/inspiration only to find that I would have to take a trip down to Blackrock library just to view (along with a permission slip).

Maybe UCD could pay the authors so that UCD students will be able to view theses online, through Connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There is already an EU-wide Online Thesis system: DART-Europe. UCD is not a member, but DCU is. Maybe it's time to introduce yourself to the new Head Librarian ..?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ohjustbegood

yeh maybe 3 years ago, when they were willing to spen...oh wait, they preferred to pay for statues instead of books...

• Advertisement
Advertisement