Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 09 Done - now what?

• 27-10-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Right, so that's my first ever marathon out of way thankfully!
    Right I've well and truly bitten the bug and am wondering what's the best advice now to maintain momentum for all us marathon newbies who are now experiencing another first - the aftermath.

The body is feeling plenty of pain today and to be honest I'm looking forward to a break from the running for a week or two - jeasus god knows what I'll do with all the spare time! I'm sure the body needs this recovery time too.

After that I'm keen to build on and maintain what was an unbelievable experience.

So what next? Do I kick in to maintenance mode and plan another marathon for some time in the spring and maybe enter a few 10k's etc. in the meantime?

I'm concerned about the mental side of things as much as the physical. How does one stay motivated after conquering the marathon?

God if feels like I've just finished the Leaving Cert or something!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Physically your muscles are wrecked. Your immune system is wrecked. Give yourself time to recover. Eat well, sleep well. Its been shown that there is no such thing as a recovery run in the week after a marathon. A few walks/ swims will do. Ease back into training, although your fitter than you've ever been your also vunerable to injury/illness. In a couple of weeks decide where you want to go from here. Maybe pick a 5K/10K to aim for to keep yourself motivated over the next couple of months. You've loads of time to plan your next 'big one'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Luton marathon in 5 weeks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

gerard65 wrote: »
    Physically your muscles are wrecked. Your immune system is wrecked. Give yourself time to recover. Eat well, sleep well. Its been shown that there is no such thing as a recovery run in the week after a marathon. A few walks/ swims will do. Ease back into training, although your fitter than you've ever been your also vunerable to injury/illness. In a couple of weeks decide where you want to go from here. Maybe pick a 5K/10K to aim for to keep yourself motivated over the next couple of months. You've loads of time to plan your next 'big one'.

cheers
    so what you're saying is it might be a bad idea to go on the tear this weekend - i guess I'll just have to fight the urge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe pick a 5K/10K to aim for to keep yourself motivated over the next couple of months. You've loads of time to plan your next 'big one'.
    Jingle Bells 5k early Dec, Aware 10k 12th Dec and 1/2 marathon in Waterford on 12th too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Its been shown that there is no such thing as a recovery run in the week after a marathon.
    I suspect there have been many, many recovery "hobbles"!

• Advertisement
Advertisement