Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3Mb to 7Mb

• 27-10-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Today I rang my provider (BT) to upgrade from my current 3Mb package to 7Mb. Now I realise that living 3.6Km from the exchange I'll never actually get 7Mb but I was hoping that if I got onto the higher package that my modem would sync at perhaps 5Mb or even 4Mb.

However, the lady I spoke to wasn't very helpful, repeating the same line over and over in response to my questions - "The maximum speed for your line is three megabytes". :(

So, I'd be very grateful if you could comment on my line stats below. Am I wasting my time even asking to go beyond 3Mb or should I pursue BT or one of the other pseudo competitors for the upgrade?

I use a Netgear DG834PN modem/router.

Downstream:
    Connection Speed - 3072kbps
    Line Attenuation - 46.0db
    Noise Margin - 18.1db

Upstream:
    Connection Speed - 384kbps
    Line Attenuation - 23.0db
    Noise Margin - 12.0db

Many thanks.
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

antonian wrote: »
    Today I rang my provider (BT) to upgrade from my current 3Mb package to 7Mb. Now I realise that living 3.6Km from the exchange I'll never actually get 7Mb but I was hoping that if I got onto the higher package that my modem would sync at perhaps 5Mb or even 4Mb.

However, the lady I spoke to wasn't very helpful, repeating the same line over and over in response to my questions - "The maximum speed for your line is three megabytes". :(

So, I'd be very grateful if you could comment on my line stats below. Am I wasting my time even asking to go beyond 3Mb or should I pursue BT or one of the other pseudo competitors for the upgrade?

I use a Netgear DG834PN modem/router.

Downstream:
    Connection Speed - 3072kbps
    Line Attenuation - 46.0db
    Noise Margin - 18.1db

Upstream:
    Connection Speed - 384kbps
    Line Attenuation - 23.0db
    Noise Margin - 12.0db

Many thanks.
    A.
    You could get 4MB with those stats, possibly even 5MB but I wouldn't recommend it.

With DSL, stability and latency is more important that speed. You'll be paying about €10 more for only 1MB, I'd leave it be.

Advertisement