Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to pay off UK credit card?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 8:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've moved back to Ireland, but still need to pay off some money from my UK credit card. I'm not earning much, so I can't afford to pay much each month. Currently, I'm transferring about €50 a month from BOI to RBS - and being hit with a £10 charge each time by RBS. Between the jigs and the reels, I'm only actually paying off about £30 a month max. Is there a more cost-efficient way to pay it off? I can't pay it off in a branch in a Republic of Ireland bank, can I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The best thing to do would be to transfer the balance to an Irish card, you'll get a 6 month interest freeze on the amount too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The best thing to do would be to transfer the balance to an Irish card, you'll get a 6 month interest freeze on the amount too.

The Irish card I have is with Ulster Bank, and when I was getting it, it said I couldn't do a balance transfer from another bank under the RBS umbrella.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You may be able to get another card with another bank and transfer the balance to it, then make absolutely sure not to use said card for purchases; or get another to use as normal and transfer the RBS and any UB balance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can't do a "balance transfer" from a card outside of the country, unfortunately. I can't think of many/any providers who I've come across offering this.

As for more efficient way of doing this - there isn't one, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hi Faith, there are two options.

Do you have ulster banks anytime service? If you can lodge money directly into your bank account you can make a payment on your card online

Second one is a bit more complicated but will get the job done, pm me for the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Unless you fancied a trip up the North every month, there's no real cost effective way TBH.

Or you could try and save a bit extra and put a lump sum into your a/c thus minimising the charges.

TBH a small Euro loan would sort it out once and for all.

Advertisement