Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luxembourg

• 27-10-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey guys, just posting to see if anyone could help me or give any good tips. I'm currently trying to organise a trip to Luxembourg for my college's law society to visit the EU Courts. We were looking for end of January. Problem is that flights to Luxembourg are not very frequent.

Girl in my year is from Germany and suggested that we fly into Frankfurt or Dusseldorf and then get a train to Luxembourg. Problem is booking that and the prices of trains seem very high. Was also looking at flying to Brussels and getting a train from there to Luxembourg but wouldn't have a clue where to go to book the train tickets online.

I was thinking of going through a travel agents but they quoted me 250 on flights to Luxembourg alone.

So anyone who could help I would be so grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Hi, I went from Brussels to Luxembourg a few weeks ago by train. I booked online using the Belgian Rail site (www.b-rail.be), cost about €33 each way and took close to 3 hours, it does make a few stops but no train changes.

At the moment there are cheap flights to Brussels Charleroi on Ryanair I think depending on what days you'd be travelling. Getting a 15 minute bus from the airport to Charleroi station and the train from there to Luxembourg which changes in Namur about an hour in, that would save you getting the bus into Brussels if you don't need to go there.

The Eurolines buses also go from Brussels and are a good bit cheaper than the train. They do seem to travel only on certain days and at kind of inconvenient times but worth a look depending on what suits.

There is a bus from Frankfurt Hahn to Luxembourg as well (www.flibco.com) which I think is fairly frequent and costs €17 each way and takes about 2 hours. Depending on your dates I'd imagine this is probably the cheapest option overall given that it's a pretty cheap airport to fly into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

flying into frankfurt hahn is your best option, flights are dirt cheap with ryanair, the bus journey to luxembourg takes about 1.5-2hr through some beautiful countryside (rolling hills, quaint little villages between them), picture postcard, it there is snow on the ground makes it even better, if you buy tickets on the bus from the driver they will be about 5-8 euro more than online http://www.flibco.com/search

the bus stop (more of a bus shelter) in hahn is about 100 yards south of the terminal and the bus stops outside the door of the railway station in luxembourg in the south of the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

I, too, visited Luxembourg by flying to Frankfurt Hahn. This airport is actually closer to Luxembourg than to Frankfurt. So much for Ryanair's creative naming :).

Getting the bus from Frankfurt Hahn to Luxembourg certainly is an easy option. But if you have enough people to hire your own coach, you might also consider doing that and stopping by Trier on the way. It is a lovely city with famous Roman ruins right in the center. It would be a shame to pass by and miss it.

Advertisement