Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age and Your Favourite 'English' team?

• 27-10-2009 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

I think this might give interesting results. For example I reckon most Villa fans I know are around 25 and started following Villa during the Big Ron tenure when Stan, Houghton, Townsend and McGrath were in the squad.
    As a 5 year old I actually remembered the European Cup success. Little did I know the misery of what was to follow:o
    If it is European teams, League of Ireland teams, national teams etc that you exclusively follow please respect the thread title before posting.
    Apologises also if this has been done before as I know such threads can upset the 'true regulars' here
    So to confirm and get the ball in motion
    Team: Aston Villa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I think this might give interesting results. For example I reckon most Villa fans I know are around 25 and started following Villa during the Big Ron tenure when Stan, Houghton, Townsend and McGrath were in the squad.
    As a 5 year old I actually remembered the European Cup success. Little did I know the misery of what was to follow:o
    If it is European teams, League of Ireland teams, national teams etc that you exclusively follow please respect the thread title before posting.
    Apologises also if this has been done before as I know such threads can upset the 'true regulars' here
    So to confirm and get the ball in motion
    Team: Aston Villa

I think this has already been done on this site.

For the record; 25, Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

24, liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

17, Liverpool.

ONLY Liverpool fan in my year. Says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

27, Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

19, Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

18, Man Utd.

My favourite player was Ryan Giggs, went straight to supporting United. Also their success helped a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Team: Liverpool

my first memory is f*cking Michael Thomas and that famous final day of the 1988/89 season.

my best is the 2005 Champions League Final.

my worst one would be the same as my first one if i wasn't 7 years old. the worst i remember is the FA Cup Final '96. i'm still begging someone to handle Cantona's volley on the line. :p

(sorry, just decided to add a few bits to make it a little more interesting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

21, spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    17, Liverpool.

ONLY Liverpool fan in my year. Says a lot.

Good taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

34 The Arsenal.

Due to the following, a London team absolutely love London, saw David Rocastle play for England and that match at Anfield back in 1989, went to my first ever soccer match in September 1989 against Charlton a 1-0 Brian Marwood penalty but fell in love with Highbury that day and it changed my life forever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

23, WE ARE LEEDS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

25 Dirty Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

24 Manchester United. They were the team I picked when I was about 3 or 4 and getting my first soccer jersey. The years that followed proved that I made a good choice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

30, Arsenal.

1987 league cup final, all my mates supported Liverpool so I cheered on Arsenal to be different. Thus started the love affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

22, Liverpool. Was only three when we last won the title, so obviously can't remember it, so I've been waiting a long fecking time for that first experience.

I'm gonna cut all Man U fans off right here. I'll be waiting for a long time, I said it first, now feck off. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

21, Liverpool

Reason: Was about 7 and was kicking a ball around and was asked who I supported. Me blank faced 'I don't know'. Quickly rush into the house

'Dad, who do you support?'
    'Liverpool'
    'Me, too.'

Earliest memory: FA Cup Final, lost 50p on that match :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

22, Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

26 years and a Chelsea F.C. fan (the blue is for effect cos thats how i roll):cool:
    (oh and before anybody takes a snidey aul dig: yes im a fockin pre-"russian revoultion" fan i would also like to add!!):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

31, liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

39, Everton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Good taste?

I wasn't given the choice, it was either support Liverpool or pack my bags :pac:

The rest of the lads had a choice, since its a huge gaa area none of their dads would be that interested in soccer, so they all went for utd.

if you give a kid a choice in who they want to support nowadays, its gonna be chelsea + man utd. which is understandable. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

21, Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

20, Manchester United. I pretty much just supported them cause my brother did, my earliest memory of them was watching Ryan Giggs in the 1996 FA Cup final.

My first footballing memory would be the 1994 World Cup, though I only remember watching a team wearing white, who probably weren't Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

23 Aston Villa

Reason: Irish contingent although my favourite player was Dean Saunders with Nigel Spink a close run second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

24 man utd. Got given a man utd school bag and older brother supported them.
    Funny how it happens really. My best friend through school supported Liverpool, could so easily have gone the other way, ha. Luckily I didn't :D
    I can remember watching them, but first real memory was when ryan giggs scored "that goal" against arsenal. Didn't actually see it, I sat listening to it on Sky Sports when you could see all those mad scrambled lines and listen to the sound! ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

40 liverpoool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

23, Man United. Saw them playing on TV and that kickstarted my interest in football. Favourite player was Mark Hughes. My dad used to buy me great videos of United's seasons on tape and I still have the one featuring this legendary tune:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

36, Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

29, Norwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

kensutz wrote: »
    29, Norwich

Did Jeremy Goss convert you :) ?

28 Blackurn here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Did Jeremy Goss convert you :) ?

28 Blackurn here

No, supporting them long before he joined us. Season ticket holder too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

36 Chelsea/Northampton Town. First taste of glory with Chelsea for me was the Full Members Cup Final against Man City, then the Zenith Data Systems Cup against Middlesboro. Glory for Northampton Town League 2 play off final win against Swansea and any time they beat Peterboro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

kensutz wrote: »
    No, supporting them long before he joined us. Season ticket holder too

Just asking :) were great times for Norwich back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Man United

Can still vividly remember watching the champions league final in 99 as a 10 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

23, Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

31 Manchester United
    A very vague memory of the 1985 FA Cup final, and asking my brother "Who are the team in blue going up the steps and why are they sad?"

He replied "Everton, and its cos they lost!"

And I decided "Right, I prefer the other team so!!" :D

In a schoolroom full of Liverpool fans, the 1996 Cup Final was a sweet moment. Last weekend however, was not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

papagormo wrote: »
    26 years and a Chelsea F.C. fan (the blue is for effect cos thats how i roll):cool:
    (oh and before anybody takes a snidey aul dig: yes im a fockin pre-"russian revoultion" fan i would also like to add!!):D

22 and Chelsea fan, loyal fan since the money flew in.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why is English in quotation marks in the title? :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

17 manchester united

born at 13:05
    united jersey n me 13:15

says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

17 and Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

50 Leeds United. A fan since the Revie era, we've had our ups and downs since then but so far this season, things are looking good. Just imagine, even Leeds have won the league since Liverpool last won it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

32, QPR. Lived in London when I was a kid, they were the closest club to where I lived, I liked the hooped shirts and wanted to be a little bit original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

27 and Man United

Main reason I supported them was because my dad was supporter when i was kid.

My first memory of United was the 3-3 draw with crystal palace in the FA cup final and I remember the replay was on a thursday night and that was the shopping night for my parents back then but they let me go to my grandmothers and able to watch it there.

From there things have gone well. I must be lucky charm for them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

22 Liverpool. I remember from about senior infants on I spent ages trying to convert my friends into supporting Liverpool. Worked with about 3. I know about 5 genuine Liverpool fans today which makes it difficult to try and get lads to go to matches.:(

Needless to say I enjoyed sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

24, Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

30 LIVERPOOL

I started supporting Liverpool when i was about 6 or 7. All my mates liked them too so i tagged along. John Barnes was my favourite back then he was a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

21; Chelsea (and I'm also a pre-Russian Revolution fan; been a Blue since I was 6).

First Memory: Ruud Gullit becoming the player-manager and being a legend!!!

Best Memory: tie;
    -beating Bolton to clinch the League Title with three games to spare.
    -winning 1998 Cup Winner's Cup with a Gianfranco Zola super class goal!

Worst Memory: tie;
    -Losing 2008 Champions League Final
    -Going out to a 93rd minute away goal in the 2009 Champions League semi-final
    -Losing 2002 FA Cup Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

25 Liverpool.

earliest memory of the classic 1994 man utd and liverpool 3-3 draw. Nigel Clough one of my early heros purely for those cracking goals in that match. Since moving to Derby, he's become a bigger hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

27 Man City

Started supporting them cos there was a few United and Liverpool fans that bullied me when I was younger! Plus I liked the City jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I wasn't given the choice, it was either support Liverpool or pack my bags :pac:

The rest of the lads had a choice, since its a huge gaa area none of their dads would be that interested in soccer, so they all went for utd.

if you give a kid a choice in who they want to support nowadays, its gonna be chelsea + man utd. which is understandable. :rolleyes:

Not true.
    Every present I got my nephew from his first birthday to his eighth birthday was United related. He now supports Liverpool, not my favourite nephew anymore.:cool:

Anywhooo, 15, United.

Got given a United Keyring with the 98/99 fixtures on it and loved them ever since.

First memory of a match was them being cheated out of a goal against Arsenal, when the ball went under the back of the net.

• Advertisement
Advertisement