Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age and Your Favourite 'English' team?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i fit the OPs description... Villa fan, 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i fit the OPs description... Villa fan, 24

wow, a villa fan from limerick!! i thought i knew them all, but i guess there was a 3rd one i never knew about!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

19, Villa fan, support them after they beat Manchester United in the Coca Cola Cup and everyone was supporting United, I was 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mormank wrote: »
    wow, a villa fan from limerick!! i thought i knew them all, but i guess there was a 3rd one i never knew about!

well tbh I havent lived there in years but yeah we are a fairly scarce sight down home, even scarcer in Taiwan though where i currently ply my trade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

22 Liverpool

First memory was age about 6 or 7 watching Fowler scoring the fastest hat-trick against Arsenal with my late uncle who was a massive pool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

20 Liverpool

The year I was born was the last time we won the league :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

28 Manchester United

Started when I was about nine when I sort of had to pick a team because everybody kept asking me who i supported. Liverpool were the dominant team back then but my best friend convinced me to support United with the argument - "United are just better. Are ya goin to support them or wot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

25 Arsenal

Started when i was about 6 or 7, couple of friends supported them. Think i almost picked Liverpool because someone bought me a Liverpool bag. i'm happy with my choice though, i'ts also nice not to be a part of the díck measuring contest between United and Pool fans.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

33 Liverpool. First football memory is being upset when Brighton bet Liverpool in the FA Cup in 1983. Grobelaars wobbly legs in Rome are one of my better early football memories. Being allowed to stay up for that was a real treat at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

20, Manchester United.

I don't know why because my Dad is a Liverpool fan and we're the only footy fans in our house. He can't understand it either...
    Got my first Jersey when I was 7 or 8, was just before Becks got the no. 7 shirt.
    And Beckham was my first love, and I still love him! (I'm female before ye start thinking I'm gay!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

RasTa wrote: »
    25 and United.
    So you follow about fifty teams. :rolleyes:

59, Tottenham Hotspur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

22, Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

35 Tranmere, all those Friday night games that Saint and Greavsie had on at lunchtime back in the day corrupted me. Thanks a lot S&G :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭ollaetta

thegen wrote: »
    44 and an r's fan too. My 1st memory was the run in to the 1976 league and the pool pipping us. What a side Phil Parkes, Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis, Don Givens, Dave Thomas, Ian Gillard, Don Masson. Tony Currie, Rodney Marsh etc were to follow.

49 and another QPR fan. It's down to Don Givens around the time he got the hat-trick against Russia coupled with the fact that I liked the blue & white hoops on a team photo in Shoot magazine. Stuck with them ever since.

Oops, not Russia then, should have said U.S.S.R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

ollaetta wrote: »
    49 and another QPR fan. It's down to Don Givens around the time he got the hat-trick against Russia coupled with the fact that I liked the blue & white hoops on a team photo in Shoot magazine. Stuck with them ever since.

Oops, not Russia then, should have said U.S.S.R.

Yep was at that game in Dalyer, my 1st international. Liam Brady's debut also.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

24, Super Leeds United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

28 Everton. First memory being the epic 4-4 draw with Liverpool in 91, then in 94 Joe Royle's 1st game in charge and Big Dunc terrorised Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

22, Manchester United fan.

Earliest United memories are mainly from the 94/95 season. Especially the 9-0 win and no-one thinking Andy Cole was worth £7 million.

Can also remember the penalty shootout from USA 94 fairly well. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

27 Arsenal

It was all about Ian Wright posters in my bedroom I tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Man Utd
    and I'm 23 going on 24

I've supported them since I was around 5, when I distainfully turned down a Liverpool t-shirt (a story my mum tells to this day!)

The older lads in school wouldn't believe I really supported United untill I proved it by naming the training ground (The Cliff) and the reserve keeper (Gary Walsh)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

That_Guy wrote: »

Greatest memories:

Beating Manchester United 5-0 at home
    Faustino Asprilla
    King Kev's rant
    Those successive 4-3 matches with Liverpool (tense)
    Champions League football.

Worst memories:

2005 - Present

22, Newcastle United

Those are all my earliest memories of NUFC. Along with Ginola! If only we could have something even near that again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

Liverpool, 29.

First proper memory is the FA Cup final v Wimbledon 1988.

A wrongly disallowed Peter Beardsley goal didn't upset me unduly. The Lawrie Sanchez header had me a little worried.

David Beasant saving John Aldridge's penalty had me screaming at the TV. And the final whistle had me running down the back garden in tears.

Not to mention the 20p i had bet my father on Liverpool winning.

Arsenal the following year was horrible, but I only cried, no money changed hands.

Beating Everton in the '89 Cup Final is my best memory, just an incredible game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

24, man united. don't know why I started supporting them, could be down to my dad and uncles. althought my brother support Liverpool and Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Andy Cole was worth £7 million.

I lost 2 pound with my brother over that. I didn't believe him United paid so much. He heard it on the radio in the car, ah the wireless...those were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

18 Arsenal....lucky to have withnessed the great years 1998,2002,2004 and the style of soccer which is delightful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Spurs since 1984, now 33 years of age. We won the UEFA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

22 Manchester United

First memories probably around the 93 season when the likes of Hughes, King Eric and Dion Dublin:D where destroying everything around them in the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

29, Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

38, Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

40 (going on 18 :p) and Pompey, like all my family and every kid in my school. If you live in portsmouth, you are a pompey supporter.

I have many good and bad memories, this is the third time I can remember that we have faced a visit from the receiver so it is nothing new. The highlights are the FA Cup, the old First Fivision title and the old old third Division title.

I have seen us relegated from the old third division and spend two seasons in the fourth. I have seen pompey play in every division (That's four btw) of the Football League, including the top flight pre Premiership days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

34, Villa fan - born in Birmingham but no family ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

17 Sunderland (since 2001)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

21, Chelsea.

My dad used to live out in Brompton when I was younger so always looked out for them since I got into football about '96.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Notthingham Forest, 28 tomorrow!!

I am the youngest of 4 boys, 2 United and 2 Forest in our house! After the 1991 FA cup - the one Gazza got badly hurt in but Spurs beat us - from then on there my allegiance was always going to be Forest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

23, Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

29 , Everton (Dad Spurs, Brother 35 Liverpoool , Brother 33 Gaa man)

Best Mem - Prob 95 cup win
    Worst Mem - Walter Smiths time as manger the 97 season - 86/89 Cup Finals(89 more so) was at that age were you really got to understand everything about the game)- could go on all night -

Interesting to see United fans say " don't know why I started supporting them " lol . Quite fuuny.. Just be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

28 Man utd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

23 Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

13 Hull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

32 Aston Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

33 man utd

The day McGrath signed for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

35. Spurs.
    Supported them since '78.
    My old man supported them, even though he used to play for charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Macca07 wrote: »
    24, man united. don't know why I started supporting them, could be down to my dad and uncles. althought my brother support Liverpool and Everton

Derbies galore in yer house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

keano_afc wrote: »
    30, Arsenal.

1987 league cup final, all my mates supported Liverpool so I cheered on Arsenal to be different. Thus started the love affair.

Are you me? :D Exact same age team and reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

47 and Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

SlickRic wrote: »

my worst one would be the same as my first one if i wasn't 7 years old. the worst i remember is the FA Cup Final '96. i'm still begging someone to handle Cantona's volley on the line. :p

Rob Jones was in an ideal position iirc!

oh and 25 Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

24, Manchester United, my fathers team.

Earliest memory is a bad one actually, Steve Staunton scoring an unreal free kick for Villa against United at Old Trafford in 1990 (I think, maybe it was '91).... sticks in my mind because my dad was at it and Staunton was Irish, plus it was an unreal strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

25, Manchester United.
    Have been since 1990 when I started to Understand football and not just kick a ball against a wall :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

30 , Stoke City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

18, support Watford (I'm from there)

Advertisement