Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age and Your Favourite 'English' team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

25 Norwich City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

24, Man United.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

19, Man United

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

17 spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im 21 and been a Leeds United fan for as long as I can remember, but really got into soccer and Leeds back in 2000 I suppose.
    There is just something about Leeds that makes them the best team in the world to follow.

I cant stand band waggon supporters! You have to follow your team through the good times and the bad (and Leeds have had a lot of them in the last few years). You cant give up on your team just because they go through a rough patch, and you cant start following a team just coz they win loads.

Not many girls on here! Come on girls!!! We have to make ourselves heard!

Marching on Together!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

23 Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

24 and Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

SarahBM wrote: »
    Im 21 and been a Leeds United fan for as long as I can remember, but really got into soccer and Leeds back in 2000 I suppose.
    There is just something about Leeds that makes them the best team in the world to follow.

I cant stand band waggon supporters! You have to follow your team through the good times and the bad (and Leeds have had a lot of them in the last few years). You cant give up on your team just because they go through a rough patch, and you cant start following a team just coz they win loads.

Not many girls on here! Come on girls!!! We have to make ourselves heard!

Marching on Together!!!

Fellow female soccer boardsie here! I've been warning the lads that we are infiltrating the forum...

But I support the other United, Man United!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

30 - Liverpool
    Started supporting them when I was about 21. Would always prefer them to win before that but didn't really make an effort to even watch the games. Chose Liverpool since my friend and brother supported them. As good a reason as any I suppose. Have never experienced the joy of supporting a winning team in the league though...........:( Next year maybe:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

19 Manchester United. All my Uncles are either Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea. picked united just to piss them off i think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

23 - Man Utd fan.

First real memories were losing the title to Leeds in 92. First game was Sheff Wed at home when Bruce scored 2 really late goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

24 West Ham United.

Defected from Man Utd in 1999. Originally, the Red Devils were thrust upon me. However, I never felt they defined my identity, nor did I know why I floowed them.

West Ham are a more homley club, with a greater identity, and my dad suggested we go and see them at Upton Park. Thus on 21st November 1999, I trod over to London with my Dad, and we went to see them play Sheffiled Wednesday. Twas an amazing game, with a 4-3 scoreline, one red car, one penalty, and two shots off the upright. I came back to Dublin with much to consider, and I decided a defection was on the cards.

I have never looked back, even though i would have far more respect for MUFC then any of the other big four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

42 and its Liverpool and Hibs for me travel over to watch both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

20 and Chelsea.

1st game when I was 9 with my Dad 1998 at the bridge. 2-0 against Bolton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

28, Arsenal

Remember the late 80's and its "cool" yellow away jersey. Thus it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Thr one with the navy sash or the navy fleck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

24 liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

21. Newcastle United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

45. Man Utd since the cup win in 77 over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I think this might give interesting results. For example I reckon most Villa fans I know are around 25 and started following Villa during the Big Ron tenure when Stan, Houghton, Townsend and McGrath were in the squad.
    As a 5 year old I actually remembered the European Cup success. Little did I know the misery of what was to follow:o
    You haven't truly known misery until you've been in League One.

25, Nottingham Forest

• Advertisement

Come on! League one isnt that bad! At least we're on top!
    (Leeds Fan, 21)
    MOT!!!

SarahBM wrote: »
    Come on! League one isnt that bad! At least we're on top!
    (Leeds Fan, 21)
    MOT!!!
    League One is hell! And its not just the quality of football. Being shacked up at Boundary Park with the wind and rain blowing into your face, watching your side being beaten 5-0 by mighty Oldham Athletic is as close to footballing hell as it gets. The worst bit was having fans of clubs like Yeovil Town singing 'You're Not Famous Anymore' at you. Thats just depressing.

grenache wrote: »
    Thats just depressing.

Actually, your right that is depressing. but as that famous dude once said "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!" do do, do do, do do do do do do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭DvB

37, The Arsenal.

Earliest memory was them losing the 78 cup final to Ipswich, asked my Dad who he had wanted to win & he said The Arsenal as they had a few Irish players in the team, decided there & then they'd be my 'other' team, my Irish one will always be my first team, without question.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

140, Preston North End, never forget that double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You haven't truly known misery until you've been in League One.

25, Nottingham Forest

Think you will find League 2 covers that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    140, Preston North End, never forget that double.

Is that the address of the club or is that your actual age?!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

33 - Everton (They have made me age prematurely also!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Het-Field wrote: »
    24 West Ham United.

Defected from Man Utd in 1999. Originally, the Red Devils were thrust upon me. However, I never felt they defined my identity, nor did I know why I floowed them.

West Ham are a more homley club, with a greater identity, and my dad suggested we go and see them at Upton Park. Thus on 21st November 1999, I trod over to London with my Dad, and we went to see them play Sheffiled Wednesday. Twas an amazing game, with a 4-3 scoreline, one red car, one penalty, and two shots off the upright. I came back to Dublin with much to consider, and I decided a defection was on the cards.

I have never looked back, even though i would have far more respect for MUFC then any of the other big four.

Was it a big one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

30 - Arsenal

"And Arsenal come streaming forward now in what surely will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon finding Smith ... but Thomas ... charging through the midfield. THOMAS, IT'S UP FOR GRABS NOW ..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »
    30 - Arsenal

"And Arsenal come streaming forward now in what surely will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon finding Smith ... but Thomas ... charging through the midfield. THOMAS, IT'S UP FOR GRABS NOW ..."

Wish i saw it live, but i have the dvd and bottle opener :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

22-Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

jasonorr wrote: »
    Wish i saw it live, but i have the dvd and bottle opener :D

Ha, yeah. When I read the quote the first thing I thought of was beer.

24, Arsenal.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Think you will find League 2 covers that.
    League 2, League 1, same thing. They're both hell if you're a supporter of a big club who are new to those divisions. You wouldn't call League 2 hell if you are, for example, a Rochdale supporter. You would be used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Laughing at the indignity of the poor Forest fans when they were slumming it in League one, when they all knew they should be a mighty mid table Championship side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Laughing at the indignity of the poor Forest fans when they were slumming it in League one, when they all knew they should be a mighty mid table Championship side.

Championship's a quality league but ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

This has been running a week now so we have a decent sample size. Based on results posters have identified 24 different 'English' teams they support.
    Man Ud 26.1%
    Liverpool 18%
    Arsenal 11.8%
    Chelsea 7.5%
    Leeds 6.8% (Fair Play!)
    Villa 5% (Ahead of Spurs and Everton MON would be happy)
    Spurs 4.4%
    Everton 3.1%
    Newcastle 3.1%
    QPR 1.8% (What?)
    Man City 1.8% (Will be interesting to see if this takes off!)
    Notts Forest 1.3%
    Norwich 1.3%
    Preston 1.3% (The oldest posters on boards!)
    Westham 1.3%
    Blackburn 0.6%
    Sunderland 0.6% (Where they gone;))
    Hull 0.6%
    Watford 0.6%
    Middlesboro 0.6%
    Stoke 0.6%
    Portsmouth 0.6%
    Tranmere 0.6%
    Burton 0.6%
    Bedtime!
    I will have a look at ages and see if any patterns emerge and report back.

This has been running a week now so we have a decent sample size. Based on results posters have identified 24 different 'English' teams they support.
    Man Ud 26.1%
    Liverpool 18%
    Arsenal 11.8%
    Chelsea 7.5%
    Leeds 6.8% (Fair Play!)
    Villa 5% (Ahead of Spurs and Everton MON would be happy)
    Spurs 4.4%
    Everton 3.1%
    Newcastle 3.1%
    QPR 1.8% (What?)
    Notts Forest 1.3%
    Norwich 1.3%
    Preston 1.3% (The oldest posters on boards!)
    Westham 1.3%
    Blackburn 0.6%
    Sunderland 0.6% (Where they gone;))
    Hull 0.6%
    Watford 0.6%
    Middlesboro 0.6%
    Stoke 0.6%
    Portsmouth 0.6%
    Tranmere 0.6%
    Burton 0.6%
    Bedtime!
    Please do not call us that! It is Nottingham Forest, abbreviated to 'Nottm'. There's only one team called 'Notts' in the city and that's County!

@ dooferoaks - that's the kind of reply i'd expect from a top 4 ''supporter''. We should be in the Premiership and nowhere else. We'll be there soon enough if we keep playing football like we are at the moment.

@ antomorro - i dont know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the Championship is quite a good league. A good 7 or 8 sides could survive comfortably in the Premiership. You have some excellent footballing sides in the Championship, the likes of West Brom, Forest, QPR and Preston play really attractive football. Compare this to the dire style of Hull, Stoke and Blackburn in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Everton 3.1%
    Newcastle 3.1%
    QPR 1.8% (What?)
    Notts Forest ......

Not that surprising, they were a good back in the the day, and had Don Givens, also got to the cup final in '82

I went to see them myself in the second ever premiership game day, they beat Southampton 3-2, Les Ferdinand scored for QPR, Mat Le Tisseier for the Saints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

20, Man United

Didn't have a choice really, my immediate family is all United so it was natural

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

32- Liverpool

As they say across the pond.. "Do the math"..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

20, Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

gosplan wrote: »
    30 - Arsenal

Morning after was the first and only time i can remember been delighted it was a school day 12 liverpool fans in my class and me the sole gunner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Morning after was the first and only time i can remember been delighted it was a school day 12 liverpool fans in my class and me the sole gunner :D

I can see it now.
    'Ha, ha, wait til I rub those Liverpool fans noses in it.'
    *puts the uniform on*,
    'This is gonna be great'.
    *Heads to school but gates are closed*.
    'Aww cr@p, its Saturday! Hope no Liverpool fans see me'
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Liverpool.

Liverpool.
    A strange choice of username for a Liverpool fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

JimiTime wrote: »
    I can see it now.
    'Ha, ha, wait til I rub those Liverpool fans noses in it.'
    *puts the uniform on*,
    'This is gonna be great'.
    *Heads to school but gates are closed*.
    'Aww cr@p, its Saturday! Hope no Liverpool fans see me'
    :)

lol haha meant first day in school after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

26, Manchester United.

Going back to the, "is Fergie for the chop?" days, still enjoying the success.
    Most kids in my school were Liverpool fans, but then people who you wouldn't think even like football turn out to be Pool fans, the country's crawling with them.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

@ antomorro - i dont know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the Championship is quite a good league. A good 7 or 8 sides could survive comfortably in the Premiership. You have some excellent footballing sides in the Championship, the likes of West Brom, Forest, QPR and Preston play really attractive football. Compare this to the dire style of Hull, Stoke and Blackburn in the Premiership.

I'm being deadly serious. I support Watford. Championship is some league :D, especially the away days, they're great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

24 Liverpool!!! Dont know how you will add all these up man:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement