Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographer for Wedding.

• 27-10-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi,

We are in the very early stages of planning our wedding. We hope to do it this time next year if all works out.

Doing this wedding on a small budget but dont want to miss out on anything important that will ruin the day, so the photos are something I would want to be nice.

So my dads a really keen photographer and has got some shots in local papers etc,its only a hobby though.
    The other half's friend is a sports photographer and will be at the wedding,we were going to ask dad and him to take some shots before and after church.(before the drinking begins)!
    Am not really fussed on getting perfect photos after this...

Does anyone think I am scrimping too much on not hiring a pro? Its really way over our budget and its just something cannot afford unfortunately.

Just looking for some opinions from the people in the know...

suzie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

suzieb wrote: »
    Hi,

so the photos are something I would want to be nice.

I think you have your answer there.

You do want nice photos, who wouldn't. At the same time you want to give an out to whoever is brave enough to have a go.

Hire someone would my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

if they have the gear why not use them.
    I think most people take a digital disc nowadays with all their photos on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If your dad or the sports tog have their head screwed on, do their research, talk at length to you and your intended, sound out the place in advance, then there's no reason why they can't do a really good job (assuming they have technical competency with their gear) - particularly if your expectations are that of having gone over budget and not affording pro pictures on the day. Other options could be to look for people starting out looking for experience who may simply do it either for free or for expenses only - bit of a hit and miss as to what you'd get, but you dad and your guest could relax a bit more. Check out our services wanted / offered thread in the stickies of the main forum. That will have some of the people from around these parts but if you posted over on the weddings forum you might get someone suitable and reasonable.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Thanks for the replies,

We really are doing this wedding very low key etc with no band,cars,favours etc.
    Prices for pro photographers I've seen are about €1200,my dress will only be €400,its just too much unfortunately.

Will have a look on here to see if anyone is interested in building up a portfolio that may be interested in doing it.

I would trust my dad alone with doing them tbh as he's taken some amazing shots and has all the equipment but knowing the bf/s friend will be there too has kind of made me think we can do it well on our own.

Was just really interested to see if it could be done without looking tacky!

Will keep an eye out anyway or see if theres good offers out there closer to time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Try http://www.davidjduignan.com/..I think he does weddings at around 600euro--just started his biz about a year ago..

Happy hunting anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

My advice is if you do go with your dad and the other guy make sure you nominate 1 as the "main" photographer for at least the posed shots and the other to act as a second photographer. Otherwise you may end up with people looking at different cameras, smiling at different times etc. I noticed this almost happening at a wedding of a friend of mines recently, only for the main tog was very good at grabbing everyones attention. Suppose that's why you pay for them eh!

Thanks,

thats great advice for nominating one the "main Photographer",I really wouldnt have thought of that!

I will check out that site also harpic,thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

Whatever about your friend doing the job, I wouldn't advise using your Dad. It's nothing to do with his ability, but basically you're giving him a job for the whole day. I've done weddings for a few friends, and you do end up being really busy for the day. It's all well and good saying "but we're not too fussed if he only takes a few shots..." but believe me, it's great to have a nice album to look back on. So give your Dad the day off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Obligatory 'hire Mike Patterson' moment: http://www.mikepatterson.com/

/plug

More seriously: I've been in all those positions. I've been the 'cheap' alternative (see here), I've been the person who went forward with his own wedding without any photographer and I've seen the damage that can be wrought by having a relative photograph your ceremony.

Photographing a wedding requires special focus, special skills and special training that is wholly unlike most other photography. For your own peace of mind you should find and hire a professional for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If your dad's a serious amateur surely he knows other serious amateurs who might do it for you as a wedding gift or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 diamondphoto

Fenster makes a very good point. You really should consider getting professional. There are some very good deals to be had. There are a growing number of brides that are now seriously regretting not getting a good photographer. No disrespect to your Father or the sports photog but they are guests and you shouldn't be lumbering them with capturing you day. Remember after all the food is eaten and the dress put away, the photographs are the only lasting memory of your day.

I wish you all the best on your day and hopefully all will turn out ok for you.

Fergul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

like others have posted above - if you want something more professional - GET A PROFESSIONAL, however if you are willing to trawl through portfolios/samples of peoples work then you might be lucky and find some talent.

go to pix.ie, flickr, etc and search through various different photographers - in search of someone who's style you like and then ask them if they would consider doing your wedding.

PS> > > getting your dad and/or family friend to photograph the day has its benefits - they will know everyone and will ensure they will get pics of great aunt...or distant relative who travelled halfway across the country/europe to goto the wedding.

I have shot weddings for friends and its a tough task for an enthusiastic amateur and its completely different to sport - most sport photography has little interaction with the subject....two of my sisters asked me to photograph their weddings - which I declined as I wouldnt feel comfortable with the pressure..... theres plenty of people on Boards who might be able to do the job at a reasonable rate. I think smelltheglove set herself up as a wedding photographer. (I've never met smelltheglove and am not associated with her - but some of the stuff she posts on boards is pretty good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have sent a PM, shooting Weddings for three years now and have a package to suit the budget. Shot around 23 weddings this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

one small point

if i was your dad, I actually wouldnt want to be worrying about shooting the wedding, after all it would be my daughter getting married. he should be enjoying the day, not stressing about shots etc

also i really wouldnt want to mess up the photos of my daughters wedding, and also not be in as many pictures as if i would be if someone else would be shooting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I agree with most of the cautionary things others have said.
    That said, HIRE A PRO. I am not a pro. I got married little over 2 years ago and the Real Pro that I wanted to hire got booked just before we settled on him and we went for a less experienced 'pro'. It is the only thing I regret about our wedding (and that includes a some what small fire around the cake table.)

A pro will be able to relax and get the right shot.
    A pro should be able to wrangle the wedding party for group shots.
    A pro will do the Post production to get the most out of the photos.
    A pro will make it easier for you, you fiance and everyone else to enjoy the day.
    Not to mention a myriad of other things that will only be noticed if some not used to doing them has to do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

One thing I will say is speak to the person involved first and ask are they interested, I would not recommend your dad as he is to be in so many of the shots also and at the end of the day, would you really get super relaxed with your new husband for the kissy shots with your father photographing you?

Another thing to consider, if your friend is interested is, when a photographer is at an occasion where they know certain guests you tend to get more pictures of those guests than others, I find it a lot tougher to photograph in a situation where I know people as I know there are extra eyes on me so not only is there the pressure of the wedding shots that are always there, there is also an extra sense of keeping up appearances also.

As others have posted already there are pros to having a pro, there are pros to having a friend, you just have to do it the old fashioned way, list the pros and cons and see which outweighs which. There are plenty of us here that shoot weddings so if you want competitive pricing all you need to do is ask and you will be inundated with pms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Playing devils advocate - I had a friend do my photos and I've always been very happy with them. I've looked at them maybe 6 or seven times since the hubbub died down (I got married in 1999 :eek:). I was on a serious budget too, and I was very very happy with the result. Bottom line was I just did not have the money.

*IF* you go down the DIY job (and I'm not saying do - I'd be recommending a pro too if you can find the money. Maybe it could be a group present rom a few people?) then don't ask your dad. He'll be too busy, probably wracked with nerves and he NEEDS to be in the shots. I'd ask if he knows someone he shoots with? If not, your BF's friend would be the one to go with. Make sure he has suitable kit for a wedding though, and back ups he has or can get his hands on in case of equipment failure. Also, consider personality. Is he going to be able to direct your guests? Group shots in particular require a voice and confidence to organise. You equally don't want someone who's going to annoy everyone.

Good wedding photography requires a LOT of organising, both in the run up and on the day. The photography and talent and equipment is only part of what you get. It's something worth bearing in mind.

If you're able to get an idea of what's usually involved and you're confident that your mate can handle it, then yeah, go for it :)this post will give you a rough idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

In the past I have done a couple of Weddings for friends. This was back in the days of Film. They were very happy with the results, but back then the expectations were a lot less than they are now. I will say that it is quite nerve wracking thing to do as if things do go "testicles skywards" then it will never be forgotten as you know the people or are related to them. I also do not think your father has thought through the logistics of being the Father of the Bride as well as the Photographer, as they are both very full on roles at a wedding. The Sports Photographer may be fine but it's a completely different discipline to what he is used to shooting. (I have visions of him standing 200 yards away with a 400mm lens & phoning up to ask the Bridesmaid to move slightly to the left :D) Talk to him & make an assessment if you think he is OK with doing the job, it may turn out fine.

I must admit that at my own wedding Photography was not really an important part of the day. There was some done, with my camera (Nikon F801 & SB24 Flash) given to someone else to shoot when I was otherwise engaged. I have the shots somewhere in storage but have hardly looked at them since. If I had paid someone to shoot them the result would have been much the same in that they would be in storage hardly ever, if at all, being seen. The only reason I wanted some at the time was to post them to family who could not be there. This whole Wedding Industry has come along with the rise of Celebrity Culture & the glossy womens magazines of recent times.

CabanSail wrote: »
    The Sports Photographer may be fine but it's a completely different discipline to what he is used to shooting. (I have visions of him standing 200 yards away with a 400mm lens & phoning up to ask the Bridesmaid to move slightly to the left :D)
    ROTFL

I think this has been flogged now. There is some very very sound advice here and if you can afford it, or not, try and get a professional in, it will be worth it in the end. There are a lot of packages that you can get for under 1K. Even go the CD only option and maybe when funds get better then go for an album. Even go back to your photographer and I'm sure a very good deal can be arranged.

I have lost count the amount of disappointed brides going the option you are doing or getting a friend/very cheap amateur that will do the whole thing for less that €500. Photographs taken without any thought and desperate backgrounds, brides out of focus, blurry images, the list goes on.

Anyway, all the best on your decision.

Fergul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One other thing to keep in mind which my OH said actually turned out to be quite important - if you hire a professional to take the photos, you can direct them and demand of them in a way that you can't really do for a family member or a friend. That is, if they're doing something which you don't want done (or not doing something you want done), it's far easier to be straight with someone you're paying to do a job than someone who's doing you a favour, or someone you don't want to upset.

• Advertisement

Very good Point Seamus!! Although we have a plan of what to shoot we still take direction from the clients, ensuring that they get what they have paid for. As I have always told my clients. I work for you, you are paying me to provide you with a service. I will guide you but at the end of the day, what you say goes. If clients want something and I think is a bad call, then I will explain why, and show them and try and come up with an alternative.

Fergul

I like Sineads devils advocate stance - to add to that and be Devil's advocate's brother;

There is the other side to the pro's work which I think isn't coming out of this discussion and having been through it at the time i'll recount the personal experience. The local 'pro' hired for the wedding. The guy has years of experience / more weddings shot than has had hot dinners, etc... Everyone used him. Top dollar paid. Result - We have one 8X10 of myself and herself in the back of the wedding car hanging on our wall. It's nice. But is there really a lot that can go wrong with that kind of shot? Thereafter, we have about 20 missible shots (read - barely acceptable, some even with the closed eyes / oof / etc...) in our album. The album does come out occasionally but I have to bite my tongue - and it gets worse the more i learn about photography. The remainder of the proofs - maybe 50/60 are somewhere - i don't know where and there's not much point in me knowing because they were dreadful.

I had another family experience of wedding photographers with the brother in law who's wedding photographer was going through some marital distress himself and ended up taking images on the day but leaving them without album and in a position of having to work from 6x4 proofs to create an album from :eek: This done without the 'pro's; involvement. This photographer was more experienced and better respected than my own wedding phootgrapher - had all the accreditations which imho actually don't mean for very much and had won all the awards.

These are serious recountments of actual situations I am personally familiar with and what you can get from a pro. Yes, in fairness, your expectation should be better when hiring a pro rather than a friend of the family but personal experience has shown that some pro's can be far worse.

So, buyer beware too when it comes to the pro.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    So, buyer beware too when it comes to the pro.

I couldn't agree more. A professional should be properly vetted and you should see all his albums and work, his T&C and .

One of the beauties of digital is if some of the group shots where eyes are closed, you can open them from other shots. I never take one shot of a group, at least three. The chances of someone blinking at the right time are always there.

Fergul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Most of what I would say has been said. I'll just repeat though that it would spoil your dad's day having that responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Valentia wrote: »
    Most of what I would say has been said. I'll just repeat though that it would spoil your dad's day having that responsibility.

I must agree with this, c'mon Suzie, your wedding is a big day for the father of the bride, don't impose this on him (and don't fool yourself into thinking he wants to do it, of course he will say that to you!).

If you had a daughter who was getting married would you be happy to do the photography for it instead of relaxing and enjoying the day with friends and family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Get your dad and other person to do it, Wedding Photo photographers are well over priced.
    While people are saying your Dad will have his day ruined I think he'll think it's great doing his Daughters wedding.

Get your dad and other person to do it, Wedding Photo photographers are well over priced.
    While people are saying your Dad will have his day ruined I think he'll think it's great doing his Daughters wedding.

Sure why not buy a cake from Tesco, get a dress from Oxfam and have a hooly during happy hour in a pub. All these things are also overpriced :pac::pac:

I sense a pricing argument starting, can we agree not to do this...? The fact of the matter is the bride wants to save a few bob, let her make her decision with infromed advice rather than who gets paid what and why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

suzieb wrote: »
    Hi,

We are in the very early stages of planning our wedding. We hope to do it this time next year if all works out.

Doing this wedding on a small budget but dont want to miss out on anything important that will ruin the day, so the photos are something I would want to be nice.

So my dads a really keen photographer and has got some shots in local papers etc,its only a hobby though.
    The other half's friend is a sports photographer and will be at the wedding,we were going to ask dad and him to take some shots before and after church.(before the drinking begins)!

Does anyone think I am scrimping too much on not hiring a pro? Its really way over our budget and its just something cannot afford unfortunately.

Just looking for some opinions from the people in the know...

suzie

The only issue with your dad / a friend is the old 'what if they screw up' :D
    I can highly recommend keithjack for very cost effective wedding photography. Check prices here (He's not related:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

egan007 wrote: »
    I can highly recommend keithjack for very cost effective wedding photography. Check prices here (He's not related:))

I want to become a father and I recommended Keith Jack to father this baby,, he is no relation btw.

I want to become a father and I recommended Keith Jack to father this baby,, he is no relation btw.

Your kids might be listening to a very different type of music though

http://www.myspace.com/theanimaljackband

back on topic please.
    recommendations aren't being sought by the op.

I am beginning to wonder if there's any more value to be had here for the op.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies,have read through them and had a while to have a think to myself!

My dad loves taking photos and he'd love to do it for the day but I understand what people are saying when they think I shouldnt get him to do it.

Going to have chat with partners friend also and see what he says.

At the end of the day we are getting married to make a commitment to each other and none of the material things matter to us.

Someone said something about a dress from oxfam etc-this would be close to the truth,we are trying to have a good day for everyone involved without breaking the bank which so many people do,we intend to pay for this wedding through savings and hard work and dont want to rely on guests to pay for it(as most couples I know have done) so everything has been cut back on a grand scale where we can.I don't think I'm some celeb who has to have the most fantastic photos of the day,I jsut want photos that look nice with all our family and friends in them(hopefully having a good time)!

Keith Jacks prices are the best I've seen so if I come across a few quid and get a dress from ebay for €100 I will look into getting in touch!

Thanks for all the advice again,its been a great help to me-opinions from both sides is great.

suzie

Seems like you know what you want! At the end of the day, its your show. Once you are happy, (and the groom as well I guess!), thats all that matters.

Keith's a sound guy and knows his stuff.

i actually bought a dress from ebay recently for a wedding shoot in our camera club, it only cost about 70 euros, and the women in the club said it looked good for the money

• Advertisement

Diversifying Steve?! ;)

lol, I actually bought a wedding dress on ebay for €80, it was an 80's style dress and I gave it to the best man who in turn made the groom wear it on the stags, along with some pat butcher style earrings. op there are plenty of bargains to be had.

Best of luck on your wedding day, if you decide to go with the pal by all means direct him here where we may be able to help him out in his preperations / decisions on what shots to take. With regards to the money saving on the wedding head over the the wedding forum where you will get loads of advice, even from me, I'm addicted to weddings:o

no not at all

we had a wedding type shoot in camera club, with 2 models

so i bought the dress, its not rolled up in the boot of me car!!!!

now now I'm not being that cheap that I'll end up looking like Pat Butcher on the day! Now they'd be some wedding pics!

Havn't announced it yet cos waiting for the ring to arrive from states so sooner the better I can tell everyone to get them all to help me look out for budget stuff!

Am addicted to weddings myself so this is a dream come true,only wish I had the bank balance to match my enthusiasm!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't really like weddings, so I cannot understand all the fuss to be honest.

Good luck with yours Suzie. I think you have the right idea of doing things in a way that you enjoy yourselves. Hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    I don't really like weddings, so I cannot understand all the fuss to be honest.

Good luck with yours Suzie. I think you have the right idea of doing things in a way that you enjoy yourselves. Hope it goes well for you.

How can you not like weddings??? All the happiness, excitement, tears of joy, its brilliant.

I dont like them!!

Mainly cos I have to wear a suit, and eat food i generally dont like!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Best of luck with it suzie! Hope you have a fantastic day :)

How can you not like weddings??? All the happiness, excitement, tears of joy, its brilliant.

It is usually all so false & can be quite dishonest. It's also that people are often spending money they cannot really afford just to compete with their friends.

Give me a good honest Funeral any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

probably because its a overly hyped up, expensive, stressful occasion where alot of people spend more time worrying about aunt mary being too close to uncle john and whether 2nd cousin willy will cause a scene after a few drinks.

i don't like weddings either :P thank god i'm too young for all of that just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I loved mine, but we planned it more as one of the best parties we were ever going to throw and let the ceremony just be part of it.

Oh yeah open bar helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

Y'know, the older I get and the more that I see, I've grown more and more convinced that we should go out of our way to find days to celebrate in life. Coz sure as hell the bad days are going to find us.

Note: could this be slightly off topic? :rolleyes:

Advertisement